Delete Unread emails older than 90 days? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.  Is it possible to set up a rule in the Outlook client itself (under Office 365 Business subscription, so probably it's now Outlook 2019), to set it so that any Unread email in the Inbox is deleted it it is older than 90 days?  Continuous, so not just a one-time cleanup.  Alternatively if it could be automatically archived and the user can just manually empty the archive now and then - either way as long as it is out of the Inbox.  Under Rules, I could only find a "delete messages with date span" type thing, but these are absolute data values and not 90 days from current date.  Also Mailbox Cleanup doesn't seem to do this either.  

Or does anyone know if this is only achieved via Office 365's Exchange Admin Center type of thing?  

Thank you!  

Friday, January 11, 2019 8:58 PM

Answers

• Can this search feature be limited to just finding items in a certain location, such as Inbox? 

Hi viProCon, 

Yes, we can limit the search scope to a certain folder using the "In Folder" field as was indicated in the last screenshot above:

To do this, please refer to the steps below when setting the criteria for the search folder:

1. Click "Criteria", select the "More Choices" tab, tick the checkbox of "Only items that are:" and choose "Unread". (See Steps 3 in my post earlier.)
    2. Click Advanced tab, select "Received" from the drop-down list of Field >  All Mail fields, choose "on or before" as the condition, type "90 days ago" in the box of Value, click Add to List:

3. Choose "In folder" from the drop-down list of Field:

4. Select "is(exactly)" as the condition and type "Inbox" in the Value box:

Feel free to let me know if you need further explanation on this.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by viProCon Wednesday, January 16, 2019 11:59 AM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2019 2:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know it is not possible with built in options.

But you can use EWS to achieve your goal.

Thanks, Ashish (I can be wrong but can't be rude) “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” MCITP, MCT, MCSE

Saturday, January 12, 2019 1:25 PM
  • Hi viProCon,

You may create a custom search folder in Outlook client and empty the folder periodically. Steps are as follows:

1. Go to Folder > New Search Folder, scroll down and choose "Create a custom Search Folder".
    2. Click "Choose" to specify the criteria, enter the name for the search folder.
    3. Click "Criteria", select the "More Choices" tab, tick the checkbox of "Only items that are:" and choose "Unread", as shown in the image below:

4. Click the "Advanced" tab, choose the two mail fields and set the condition and values:

5. Click OK, OK to apply the search folder so that all unread mails in your Inbox that are received 90 days ago will show up in this folder. You may select them all(Ctrl+A), and press Shift+Delete to permanently delete these mails now and then.

Hope this is clear and helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, January 14, 2019 2:44 PM
  • Can this search feature be limited to just finding items in a certain location, such as Inbox?  I can test this but I'm not in a position to at the moment and don't want to mark the thread answered if it doesn't fully tackle the problem.  But thank you so much for the information, I definitely would not have thought of this.  So again, I just want to verify:  can we limit this search to just items in the Inbox so that we're not accidentally deleting items that would have been found in an archive location that we need to keep untouched?  

Anyone finding this thread in the future will want to be sure of this too - imagine someone didn't know, and they did a search and then deleted everything older than 90 days, including items they would have wanted to keep (presumably they'd all have been marked as read, but you never know).  

Thanks!  

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 7:29 PM
  • Can this search feature be limited to just finding items in a certain location, such as Inbox? 

Hi viProCon, 

Yes, we can limit the search scope to a certain folder using the "In Folder" field as was indicated in the last screenshot above:

To do this, please refer to the steps below when setting the criteria for the search folder:

1. Click "Criteria", select the "More Choices" tab, tick the checkbox of "Only items that are:" and choose "Unread". (See Steps 3 in my post earlier.)
    2. Click Advanced tab, select "Received" from the drop-down list of Field >  All Mail fields, choose "on or before" as the condition, type "90 days ago" in the box of Value, click Add to List:

3. Choose "In folder" from the drop-down list of Field:

4. Select "is(exactly)" as the condition and type "Inbox" in the Value box:

Feel free to let me know if you need further explanation on this.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

• Marked as answer by viProCon Wednesday, January 16, 2019 11:59 AM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2019 2:20 AM
  • Awesome, many thanks for your great help! 
    Wednesday, January 16, 2019 11:59 AM