none
mdt 2010 - win7 deployment via usb - some usb keys work fine, others give me this popup (attached) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am having the following issue: I am using MDT2010 and have created bootable media to deploy my image via USB key.

When I copy the image to one type of usb key, I can boot it up on a computer and go through the deployment absolutely fine. On another key (and several other usb keys), as I boot with it, windows pe loads and I am immediately presented with a "windows deployment wizard" screen which gives me 2 options: () select my deployment share based on my site locale and ()manually specify the server location .

I have no clue why this comes up only using some USB drives. USB 3.0 drivers are there and like I said, deployment works fine on other USB keys. I get this popup on Lenovo T430s and T440s laptops.

The USB keys that are giving me errors work fine if I use another usb port on the machine, it's only on certain ports that I get this popup.

It's driving me mad because it seems very random and it's not drivers related... Any idea what it can be?

Thank you all in advance for listening and for your suggestions.

Cheers.

Monday, December 2, 2013 4:52 PM

Answers

• If you plug in a USB 3.0 drive into a USB 3.0 slot on the local computer then you *MUST* have the correct USB 3.0 drivers installed in the USB image.

Easy test: press F8, run diskpart and get a list of all local disks and devices:

DiskPart.exe
    List Volume
    List Disk

If your USB key is *not* there, then you will get errors like what you see above.

Easy Fix: Don't use USB 3.0, use a USB 2.0 port instead. If there are no USB 2.0 ports, get a USB 2.0 extension cable that does not transmit the USB 3.0 wires. :)

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:00 PM