none
Using SMS to push out Applications to SteadyState Computers RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi there,

We're testing SteadyState (we currently use Deepfreeze) and are wondering how we can push complete software packages (like Office 2003 or upgrade to Office 2007) to computers running SteadyState.  We have it running to push to Deepfreeze computers with the maintenance window, but haven't figured out the best way to utilize SMS for pushing out packages to Steadystate machines...

Any insight of what others are doing would be helpful!!!

Cheers!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:46 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi, currently we are not able to centralize installing programs or making changes automatically via SteadyState. The most efficient way to deploy software on large network environment is to use server products with centralized software installation tools. Please understand that Windows SteadyState is designed for small network environment like home user and kiosk. Without using server product and deployment tools, we may need to access each computer and install software.  Therefore, I'd like to recommend some related server products information below:

Microsoft Solution Accelerator for Business Desktop Deployment 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/solutionaccelerators/cits/dsd/bddoverview.mspx  

Desktop Deployment for Midsize Businesses

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/desktopdeployment/midsize/default.mspx   

You can also contact with our deployment desktop newsgroup when you encounter any issue during the deploment:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.deployment.desktop

Friday, June 27, 2008 7:14 AM
  • That doesn't really answer the question.

The questioner already knows that Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) is the proper tool for "[centrally] installing programs or making changes".

The question is not if SteadyState can be used in lieu of SMS, but rather how to keep SteadyState from preventing SMS from installing programs or making changes.

SteadyState is already programmed to allow antivirus updates and Microsoft Critical Updates, even if Windows Disk Protection (WDP) is enabled.  So the question(s) remain...

...Will SteadyState with WDP enabled prevent SMS from writing changes to disk?
    ...If 'yes', then can this behavior be modified?
    ...If 'yes', then how?

...If 'no', then why not, since SteadyState/WDP allows Critical Updates and anti-virus updates?

• Edited by kwenners Friday, May 15, 2009 2:47 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2009 2:43 PM
  • I'm not an SMS guy, but couldn't SMS try pushing (or advertising) packages during the maintenance schedule? The computer reboots at predetermined time, gets updated, SMS broadcasts apps at that time too, then when that is all done, saves changes, reboots and comes back locked down with applications?

For sanity (and to ensure no reboots during a package install) you might have to write a script to go and check for packages from SMS. Put it on the page where you tell it to run a custom script during updates.

Like I said though, I don't have a lot of experience with SMS or SCCM.

Todd

Friday, May 15, 2009 5:47 PM
  • We use SCCM 2007 and I have migrated us from Deep Freeze to Steady State. Here is what I did, it is pretty simple.

1. Grab the packages from here: http://www.oakdome.com/lab/?page_id=100

2. Make a software package in SCCM that contain the VBS scripts to manipulate the Steady State Disk Protection

3. Make a mandatory re-occuring task sequence that creates a window for maintenance or just use the TS to do your maintenance.

for example my task sequence restarts the PC to discard changes, it then applies windows updates and then runs the McAfee updater. The computer restarts one more time to write those changes to the disk and then lastly runs the script to discard changes from that point on.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:34 PM