none
DPM 2007 SP1 suddenly stopped communicating with many Win 7 Pro clients - Error ID 270 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello -

    DPM 2007 SP1 Version 2.0.8793.3 as reported in the UI.

    DPM server is Server 2008 SP2 Standard 64-bit

    My protected servers are Windows XP Pro client and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit computers, and two Windows 2008 Server Standard 64-bit computers.  Essentially this DPM server backs up important data files on end-user computers.

    We have been rolling out Win 7 computers for a few months now and since updating my DPM server to SP1 have had no issues installing the DPM agent and backing them up.  Suddenly, last week 6 Win7 machines and one of the Server 2008 computers now won't communicate with the DPM server.  All exhibit the same behavior.  In the management tab of the DPM Admin Console they report:

    Data Protection Manager Error ID 270

    In the Monitoring tab they each show 'agent not reachable'

    Not all Win 7 computers are affected, but many are.  All of the communication problems started happening in a two day period.  There's nothing in the event log to directly correspond to the sudden problem.

    I have disabled the Windows firewall on the DPM server.  All of the protected servers also have the Windows firewall disabled.  The DPM server can ping all of the affected protected servers.

    There were no updates or program installations around the time the failures began... the last installed program was an update to Symantec EndPoint 11.0.6 several days prior, which went without incident.  Additionally, unaffected DPM clients run fine with the same version of Endpoint.  Our Windows updates are controlled through WSUS and I approved updates several days prior to the failure... those installed also without incident and all computers received the same updates.

    I have checked the local groups on the protected servers for Distributed COM Users, DPMRADCOMTrusted Machines, DPMRADmTrustedMachines... in each case the DPM server is still listed as a member.  I have attempted to run setdpmserver on a protected computer to reassociate it with the server, but that was ineffective.

    I do not see any VSS or DCOM event errors on the client.  I have noticed this sort of event error on the DPM server:

    Event 10006 DistributedCOM  DCOM got error "2147942405" from the computer toma.virgo.vpi when attempting to activate the server: {DA6AA17A-D61C-4E9C-8CEA-DB25DEA52A95}

    I did a preliminary scan through this information: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2008/05/09/troubleshooting-agent-deployment-in-data-protection-manager-2007-dcom.aspx and found no anomalies in DCOMCNFG... it was all configured exactly as detailed in the document.  I haven't yet checked the registry settings mentioned and will do so this afternoon... but I'm not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree as all of these clients were working properly before and it seems highly unlikely that all these failing clients would experience spontaneous misconfiguration of DCOM within a 2-3 day period.  It seems like there is some other element that I'm overlooking, which is particularly puzzling since some clients, like mine, exhibit none of these problems.

    What else can I try?  What other information can I provide?

    --Aaron Hutton

     

    • Edited by Aaron Hutton Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:37 PM updated title
    • Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:25 PM Moving to DPM Setup Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:29 PM

Answers

  • Also set the following registry values on the protected server that generates the 270 error in the DPM console. After setting the values refresh the DPM Agents console and check the system event log on the client for new DCOM errors.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole
    Name:  ActivationFailureLoggingLevel
    Type:  DWORD
    Value: 1

    Name:  CallFailureLoggingLevel
    Type:  DWORD
    Value: 1


    Steve L [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:04 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Hi Aaron,

     

    On the DPM Server, open the DPM Power shell windows and run the attach-productionserver command and follow the prompts.  See if that gets an error or is successful, if successful, refresh the agent in the DPM console and see if it returns OK.

     

     


    Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:01 AM
    Moderator
  • The attach-productionserver script returned a result of "Attached ProductionServer successfully".

    However, when I refresh the Management view on the console the client still comes up as 'Error' with the same details as above.

    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:43 PM
  • No other suggestions?  Have I stumped the forum already? ;)

    Should I open a ticket with MS DPM support to continue from here?

    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:30 PM
  • Could you run net time /set on client computers and refresh agent status from DPM console.
    -- Thanks Venkata Praveen[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Also set the following registry values on the protected server that generates the 270 error in the DPM console. After setting the values refresh the DPM Agents console and check the system event log on the client for new DCOM errors.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole
    Name:  ActivationFailureLoggingLevel
    Type:  DWORD
    Value: 1

    Name:  CallFailureLoggingLevel
    Type:  DWORD
    Value: 1


    Steve L [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:04 PM
    Moderator