Upgrade windows Server 2012 to Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

When i upgrade windows server 2016 on Windows server 2012 then on C drive there are two windows folders. 1- windows.old and second is windows.

Windows.old folder is for windows 2012. Now my question is why this folder is existing now even we have upgrade the server with server 2016. Any advantage of this folder?

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:15 AM

Answers

• System restore is not used for rollback. 

Please, read what I have provided so far including the article. 

One question, why the screenshot is from Windows 7/2008R2? 

• Marked as answer by chapter 7 Tuesday, November 7, 2017 4:34 PM
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:33 PM

All replies

• More than likely a remnant of the way windows 10 in-place upgrade works. You can try using disk cleanup to remove or just rename it, and later on delete it.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:30 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Dave Patrick.

You could remove it by disk cleaner or command.

Open "cmd" with "run as administrator", run the command line:

takeown /F c:\Windows.old\* /R /A /D Y
    cacls c:\Windows.old\*.* /T /grant administrators:F
    rmdir /S /Q c:\Windows.old  

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 5:43 AM
  • The Windows.old folder contains all the files and data from your previous Windows installation. You can use it to restore your system to the old version of Windows if you don’t like the new version. If you’re looking for a specific file that wasn’t properly copied to your new Windows installation, you also could dig into the Windows.old folder and find it.
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 5:56 AM
  • The Windows.old folder contains all the files and data from your previous Windows installation. You can use it to restore your system to the old version of Windows if you don’t like the new version. If you’re looking for a specific file that wasn’t properly copied to your new Windows installation, you also could dig into the Windows.old folder and find it.
    Yes, this is the answer. I can only add that if something goes wrong during upgrade procedure the setup makes rollback from this Windows.old folder. 
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:32 AM
  • Hi,

Can you tell me how i can rollback the OS?

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 10:57 AM
  • You can use this method: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027936/windows-go-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-81

Or

Boot from the ISO with Windows 2016 and start repair procedure, choosing to restore back the system. I cant publish screenshots of the available options, when you start the repair, so you have to examine the available options.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 11:44 AM
  • When i try to roll back, it require restore point. i dont have restore point. i have only previous windows folder (windows.old)

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:30 PM
  • When i try to roll back, it require restore point. i dont have restore point. i have only previous windows folder (windows.old)

I don't think it would be possible for windows server (especially a domain controller)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:31 PM
  • System restore is not used for rollback. 

Please, read what I have provided so far including the article. 

One question, why the screenshot is from Windows 7/2008R2? 

• Marked as answer by chapter 7 Tuesday, November 7, 2017 4:34 PM
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:33 PM