none
Vacation Calander

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to make a vacation calendar, and I want to know if this is even possible with the out the box tools.

So at the moment, I have a list with a calendar view where people can add their vacations. It works well, but the next step is to try limit what it is shown. I would like to do the following

Managers and department staff see their department
    Managers see other managers vacation
    Execs see everything
    Managers and department staff are a different color.

All this information is in AD, but I thought I would be able to do this with filters, but there is no filter option for department and managers.

The only way I can think of getting it working is making a lot of lists for the departments or getting one of our devs to write some code.

I look forward to seeing your suggestions.

Thanks

Thursday, April 13, 2017 5:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You have two requirements: 1. Show different contents for different users; 2. Show different colors for managers and departments.

About the requirement1, I suggest two OOB ways:

Solution 1: Create different views for different users, users can select list view to view their contents. But users can select other views to view others’ vacations, which may cause security issue.

Solution 2: Set item level permission using designer workflow. When a new item is created, workflow sets its permission, users who have permission would be able to view this item.

About the requirement2, I suggest you use calendar overlays, which display color coded calendars. You need to create several calendar lists to show several colors.

To sum up, If you want to display different colors for different departments/managers and you have lots of departments/managers, OOB way is not a good option. As a workaround, you need to create a custom solution to achieve your requirement.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, April 14, 2017 7:02 AM
  • Hi,
    Is there any update?
    If my reply is helpful to you, you can mark as answer.
    Thanks,
    Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 12:46 PM