Troubleshoot with Windows Vista (Graphics adapter) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, in the past months I had experienced some problems with windows vista. While I am working with any program that implies an important amount of video memory (ex. when I drag a window or scroll down or open a large video /image) memory the system knocks down and the computer does not respond any more. The only solution then is to turn it off by cutting off the power. This is really annoying and does not let me work.

I am not sure if this is related to my graphics adapter or mother board. Please Help me!!

Motherboard: EliteGroup P4M800PRO-M2
    Processor: Pentium D 3.2 GHz
    Video Adapter: NVidia e-GeForce 6200LE
    Monday, August 25, 2008 3:27 AM

Answers

• Jordiceo, is the Windows Vista came with the computer? If so, it is a OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Windows Vista system that was configured by computer manufacturer. In this case, the standard versions of graphic drivers may not work properly. You have to download the latest drivers from the computer manufacturer's website. The drivers are customized by the manufacturer either and will apply your system.

This issue can also be caused by software conflict. If the issue is not resolved after you reinstall the driver, temporary disable the anti-virus and firewall, and check if the issue persists. You may also boot in Clean Boot Mode and confirm if the background programs cause this issue.

Clean boot
    =================
    Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:27 AM

All replies

•  

Which version of P4M800PRO-M2; V1.0 or V2.0?  Check for updated BIOS.

Latest drivers for NVIDIA GeForce 6 Series (uninstall current drivers first):

Vista 32-bit

Vista 64-bit

Like recent ATI drivers have introduced problems with AGP graphics cards, newer NVIDIA drivers appear to have introduced some problems NVIDIA AGP cards on some VIA chipsets.  ASRock support FAQ for several of its VIA AGP motherboards states:

Question (Q&A-59):Q&A-59): I'm using NVIDIA AGP card under Windows Vista on my 775Dual-VSTA / 4CoreDual-VSTA / 4CoreDual-SATA2. When I rate the computer's performance, the screen suddenly becomes abnormal. Why? (11/5/2007)

Answer:The problem happens with newer Nvidia VGA driver version 1xx.xx (i.e. 163.69) Please change your Nvidia driver to older version 9x.xx (i.e. 97.19) to solve this problem.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 8:28 AM
  •  Jordiceo wrote:
    Hi, in the past months I had experienced some problems with windows vista. While I am working with any program that implies an important amount of video memory (ex. when I drag a window or scroll down or open a large video /image) memory the system knocks down and the computer does not respond any more. The only solution then is to turn it off by cutting off the power. This is really annoying and does not let me work.

I am not sure if this is related to my graphics adapter or mother board. Please Help me!!

Motherboard: EliteGroup P4M800PRO-M2
    Processor: Pentium D 3.2 GHz
    Video Adapter: NVidia e-GeForce 6200LE

As an FYI:

I re-built a computer Utilizing the 6x series of video (integrated to the motherboard) saturday night/sunday morning and when I loaded the 175 series of drivers from nVidia, the system refused to load windows completely.

I had to reboot into safe mode and grab an older version (I believe the 169.x series) and install them instead.

Works like a charm now.

Monday, August 25, 2008 5:45 PM
  • Jordiceo, is the Windows Vista came with the computer? If so, it is a OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Windows Vista system that was configured by computer manufacturer. In this case, the standard versions of graphic drivers may not work properly. You have to download the latest drivers from the computer manufacturer's website. The drivers are customized by the manufacturer either and will apply your system.

This issue can also be caused by software conflict. If the issue is not resolved after you reinstall the driver, temporary disable the anti-virus and firewall, and check if the issue persists. You may also boot in Clean Boot Mode and confirm if the background programs cause this issue.

Clean boot
    =================
    Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:27 AM