none
Windows 2008 R2 domain with Windows Update problems

Question

• About 18 months ago, I inherited the responsibility of administration for a small Dell Windows SBS 2003 32 bit network with seven Windows 7 workstations. Since the SBS2003 was going out of support, I installed a new Dell Windows 2008 R2 64 bit server into the network and migrated everything to the Windows 2008 R2 server. I demoted the SBS2008, removed it from the domain and shut it down.

The SBS 2003 32 bit server was not running Exchange. The previous admin uninstalled most of it and disabled the services. Their email was moved over to an outside web based pop3 server.

The domain runs well, but one consistent problem I have is running Windows Updates. The previous admin tried to install WSUS on the SBS2003 server but he couldn’t get it working properly. He tried uninstalling it but I think parts of it were left on the SBS2003 server at the time of migration. Now, on the Windows 7 clients in the domain and on the Windows 2008 R2 server, Windows update always stops with an error and I can only check for updates by clicking the link “Check online for updated from Microsoft Update” that is check for updates button.

I haven’t worked with GPO’s before but have a feeling this is related to a GPO that was brought over in the migration from the WSUS work from the previous admin.

What is the proper wand safest method of changing this so users do receive messages allowing them to check and install Windows Updates on their own?

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Saturday, February 11, 2017 1:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Tony,

The domain runs well, but one consistent problem I have is running Windows Updates. The previous admin tried to install WSUS on the SBS2003 server but he couldn’t get it working properly. He tried uninstalling it but I think parts of it were left on the SBS2003 server at the time of migration. Now, on the Windows 7 clients in the domain and on the Windows 2008 R2 server, Windows update always stops with an error and I can only check for updates by clicking the link “Check online for updated from Microsoft Update” that is check for updates button.

>>>Would you post the error message to us for further research?

I haven’t worked with GPO’s before but have a feeling this is related to a GPO that was brought over in the migration from the WSUS work from the previous admin.

>>>I suggest you try to run gpresult /h gpreport.html with administrator on client if there are any WSUS setting has been applied.

In general, the settings about WSUS under the path Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update in group policy.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:27 AM
  • Hi,

If the reply above has resolved your problem, please mark it as answer.

Best Regards,

Jay

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 1:29 PM
  • Just want to check the current status.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:50 PM