Shared folders and automatic antivirus updates not working anymore RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small network with 6 public computers and 1 server. Each public computer has 2 administrator accounts and 1 limited account. The limited account has the desktop and the "my documents" folders shared with the server. I need access to those folders in order to print files that users save in those locations.

When installing Steady State (or the Shared Computer Toolkit) I lose access to those folders. Which settings or protections "mess up" the shared folders in the clients computers?

I'm also having a second problem related with the antivirus. SteadyState updates doesn't detect "McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0". It only detects the "Windows Update" and "Windows Defender". When using the "old" "Shared Computer Toolkit" the antivirus is always detected. McAfee is installed in the default folder.

Thanks in advance for any insight on those problems.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 1:55 AM

Answers

• Dear Frederico,

I can't help you with the shared folders problem, but I can confirm that "McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0" isn't detected in the Security Program Updates section of the Schedule Software Updates of SteadyState v. 2.0 in our environment either.

The anti-virus software here is managed centrally through the ePolicy Orchestrator Agent (McAfee AutoUpdate) that itself gets updated together with the VirusScan update.  I know that the behaviour of this agent has changed recently (with the update to v. 3.6.x) and that it now perhaps controls the anti-virus software in a different way.  The advent of v. 3.6.x of the agent was marked by a new System Tray icon (a big red "M") that replaced the blue and red shields.  The new agent possibly interferes with the detection by SteadyState v. 2.0.

As a workaround  I've used the SCTMcAfeeVirusUpdate.vbs script from the SteadyState scripts folder succesfully as a Custom Updates script at 3:00 am this morning.

This is not helpfull if you need a real Custom Updates script in your environment, but perhaps these scripts can be chained together or controlled by a "super-script".

[To MSFT: ] Is there a way to force a Security Program Updates script if the security program in question is not detected correctly by SteadyState?

HTH.

Sincerely,

Jan J.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:39 AM

All replies

• Dear Frederico,

I can't help you with the shared folders problem, but I can confirm that "McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0" isn't detected in the Security Program Updates section of the Schedule Software Updates of SteadyState v. 2.0 in our environment either.

The anti-virus software here is managed centrally through the ePolicy Orchestrator Agent (McAfee AutoUpdate) that itself gets updated together with the VirusScan update.  I know that the behaviour of this agent has changed recently (with the update to v. 3.6.x) and that it now perhaps controls the anti-virus software in a different way.  The advent of v. 3.6.x of the agent was marked by a new System Tray icon (a big red "M") that replaced the blue and red shields.  The new agent possibly interferes with the detection by SteadyState v. 2.0.

As a workaround  I've used the SCTMcAfeeVirusUpdate.vbs script from the SteadyState scripts folder succesfully as a Custom Updates script at 3:00 am this morning.

This is not helpfull if you need a real Custom Updates script in your environment, but perhaps these scripts can be chained together or controlled by a "super-script".

[To MSFT: ] Is there a way to force a Security Program Updates script if the security program in question is not detected correctly by SteadyState?

HTH.

Sincerely,

Jan J.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:39 AM
  • Hi Frederico,

For the shared folders not accessed any more, it may be that steadystate changes these permissions set on shared folders. You can check the shared folders permission again to make they are shared properly. Also you can try to access those shared folders locally by using UNC path.

For the McAfee enterprise version not being detected, you can refer to this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1793836&SiteID=69

Friday, July 6, 2007 7:16 AM
  • Hi Jan,

i am wondering with WDP is turn on and delete changes at restart, will the McAfee dat file being updated to the latest one if i hv schedule update the dat file say at 1;00 AM.  Will all the changes being deleted and only keeping the dat new signature.

thanks.

tic1745

Friday, July 27, 2007 8:59 PM
  • Hi Tic1745,

I have replied you at thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1877306&SiteID=69

Monday, July 30, 2007 6:31 AM