MAP 8.5 not refreshing installed applications RRS feed

• Question

• I ran a MAP full scan and then a query last night that showed servers without AV installed on them:

select upper(replace(A.ComputerName, '*************.net, '')) as [Systems_WITHOUT_Symantec_AV_installed]
    from
    (select hi.ComputerName
    from AllDevices_Assessment.HardwareInventory hi
    where 1=1
    and hi.OsFamilyName like '%server%' 
    and hi.WMIStatus = 'Success'
    except
    select hi.computername
    from AllDevices_Assessment.HardwareInventory hi
    join [UT_WinServer_Reporting].[InstalledProductsView] ipv
    on hi.DeviceNumber = ipv.MAPDeviceGUiD
    where 1=1
    and ipv.ProductName like '%Symantec%')
    as A

One of our guys then installed Symantec on several servers. I then ran another full scan and I still get the same data back, showing that Symantec is not installed on those servers. It is installed via MSIEXEC so it should show up. However the RegistryDateTime column in CoreInventory.Devices still shows 2014-01-02 22:10:59.840. Why wouldn't this column be refreshed and the newly installed software be listed?

Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:41 PM

All replies

• Answered my own question by reading this response from Michael Switzer to another related question:

"MAP is a planning tool, not a managment tool. As such, MAP just gets a snapshot of the environment at the time of the run and does not refresh the data it collects. Once MAP has fully inventoried a machine, it will not attempt to collect data from that machine again. To collect updated information on your environment, you must create a new database and run the inventory again."

Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:31 PM
  • Hmmmmm,, but on this page is says "Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit for Software Licensing and Asset Management"

So, that seems to conflict a bit, doesn't it MS?

Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:51 PM
  • I don't see it as a conflict at all, but we are talking about a difference of opinion regarding semantics. Software Asset Management (SAM) and system management software are not the same thing. One is a process of documentation, the other is control of an environment. System Center and Intune are Microsoft's products to provide ongoing management.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:43 PM