none
Project Server Website down RRS feed

• Question

• I am a database administrator for a company and MS Project Server is down and I cannot get it back working.  I have never worked with Project Server before and do not have much knowledge of the application. 

We do not know what happened, but we think that there was a MS Windows Patch installed and a out of order reboot as well as some Active Directory hardening. 

Now when we try to use the URL we get either Webpage cannot be found 404 or The website cannot  display the page 500 errors. 

I can only tell you want is working:

All the SQL database with the exception of Project Server Reports are on line and working.  Reports database is working, but I had to restore to an older version if the db

The SPFARM account is working, we are able to log into the server with that account just fine

The SPFARM account has full sysadmin access to all SQL instances

The services are running and using the spfarm account although I have found some ProjectServer Services disabled, so I enabled them and started

The set up is as follows

There are two web servers

There are two application servers

There are two db server

In the documentation they state that the server are load balanced, but I can tell you that the db servers are not, there is no clustering or mirroring.  One db server has what looks like several sharepoint databases including the WSS_Content db and db02 has the 4 primary projectserver databases

Nothing is working and I just don’t know where to start.  I ensured the services are running and the db’s are on line.  I have hunted down several errors in the windows application log, but nothing has helped. 

Please help, I have no idea what to check or where to start.  

Monday, January 19, 2015 1:52 AM

All replies

• Hello. Is it just the PWA site that doesn't losd? Do you have any other SharePoint sites on there, do they load? When restoring the databases for Project Server, the Archive, Draft, Published and Reporting should be in sync from the same backup set. Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Monday, January 19, 2015 6:31 AM
  • Thank you very much for the reply

I guess the PWA site does not load, nor does anything else for that matter.  We use the URL and get the chance to Authenticate and then the Page cannot be displayed errors 404 or 500. 

I have been trying to get the the sharepoint configuration parts of the site, but had no luck.  This morning i am trying and I was able to go to IIS and opened the site "SharePoint Central Administration V4", 

This was not available in the past, but on this server I found two services disabled

MS ProjectServer Events Server 2010 (I changed disabled to automatic and started)

And

MS ProjectServer Queue Service (I changed disabled to automatic and Started)

I am not sure, but I think this allowed me to in IIS Right Click and Browse the "Sharepoint Central Administration V4" site and it comes up know.  Not sure if it was before.    

OK, so I am in that site and I see a message that says ...there are items that have trouble.  Not sure the verbiage, but I clicked the View items and found lots of issues.  I have printed them to file and I am also making screen shots of all the details of each item.  Some look critical and some are just nice to have type errors

There is a site in IIS that is called Sharepoint - eppm.agencyname.???:80 (I am substituting the actual names here) and when i click on browse it give me the message that the website declined to show this website error 403

There are no other sharepoint sites on these server they are only for Project Server.  

As for the databases, after the server was rebooted I had trouble getting the database on line.  I did manage to find the mdf and ldf files for the Archive, Draft and Published database, but could not find the reports database in that same location.  I had to restore the reports database from backup dating back to April 2013.  I did notice that one of the Sharepoint Central Administration V4 errors said that the Reports database "Requires Update or Not supported".  Problem is that i cannot find that mdf file.  

I only just started at this job and was given access to the servers when the application crashed.  I am coming in blind at this point and Crazy, but i do not see any current native SQL backups.  

Could the reports server database be the cause.  I can check with the SA's to see if they are doing a third party backup of these servers.  

Any help is appreciated and sorry for the long winded message.  

Monday, January 19, 2015 5:05 PM
  • More information about this paragraph 

OK, so I am in that site and I see a message that says ...there are items that have trouble.  Not sure the verbiage, but I clicked the View items and found lots of issues.  I have printed them to file and I am also making screen shots of all the details of each item.  Some look critical and some are just nice to have type errorsthat error messages that i am documenting are from the Sharepoint Health Analyzer.  There are several critical issues

I found that I am talking about the Sharepoint Health Analyzer and there are several critical issues.  Let me know if you would like more information about them

Thanks

Jeff

Monday, January 19, 2015 6:08 PM
  • Hello,

The Reporting database not being from the same backup set as the other Project Server databases (Archive, Draft and Published) will certainly give you issues. Do you still get 404 / 500 errors for the PWA site URL? In Central admin, can you check what site collections you have? Do any of the other site collections work?

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Monday, January 19, 2015 7:02 PM
  • Thank you very much for your help

Yes i am still getting the 404 and 500 errors 

OK to find out the site collection I did the following:

I opened the IIS site Sharepoint Central Adminitration v4

On the left side i clicked on Application Management

In the "Site Collections" group i clicked on View all site collections

In there is see only one site collection with the following settings

URL in Yellow is the \ and there is a small table with the following information

URL says HTTP://eppm.agency.??? (masking the specifics) -
    one thing i notice is that we always use https:// to access the site.  When i try to use HTTP://... I get a different error.  Using IE I get "The website declined to show the page.  This site requires you to log in.  
    When i use Chrome I get Error Access Denied, Current user is my AD account, I then use the "sign in as different user" and I enter the spfarm account auth and I get the message "the base type MS.Office.Project.PWA.PJbasewebpartpage is not allowed for this page.  The type is not registered as safe.  It has a correlation ID and date and time stamp

Title is Project Web Server

Description is MS Project Server Web Application

Primary Adminstrator I:0#,w\domainname\spfarm

Database Name: WSS_Content_1c245... (this database is 170GB and was off line until brought the disk is resides on back on line) this happened after rebooting the server

The web application: is HTTP://EPPM.Agency.??? (still not HTTPS that I was instructed to use)

Your feed back is appreciated.  

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:08 AM
  • I restarted the site and I now get the MS.Office.Project.PWA.PJBasewebPartPage is not allowed for this page.  in both IE and Chrome.  In my last message i saw this only in chrome.  
    • Edited by ayoubjeff Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:41 AM Adding more information
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:28 AM
  • I am doing some reading.  

Could it be that my master page is hosed?

Could I create a new site and use the Old data?  If so how does it affect the users

Thanks
    Jeff
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:42 AM
  • As a first step to fix, I would run the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard on each of the servers. Take the defaults in the wizard and let it run thru.  If it errors out at any steps, then the logs may help with the cause.  Running the wizard often cleans up a lot of weirdness for me.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 4:23 AM
  • Jeff: If you can get to Central Admin, then select manage service applications and locate the Project Server service application and click on it. Select the site in question and click edit. Save and close. This will force the system to re-provision the site. If this bombs, you need to harvest the ULS logs to see what's going on.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 11:46 AM
  • Thank you very much for the reply,

We ran the wizard and the first thing it said was that the patch levels are not the same and it recommended that we run the following patch before it would contiue

KB2878220, so we are going to get permission to install and then run it. 

Do you think that this would cause the problem.  We suspect that a windows patch was installed on the server, we dont know witch, and cause this issue.  Maybe that patch was installed on one server and not the others. 

your help is appreciated

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 5:09 PM
  • Several things can cause this.  The most common is that network support apply the SP and CU and don't realize that the SharePoint Product Configuration Wizard must be run for the patches to be applied.

Also, if you refresh PWA site with another sites database, such as refreshing TEST PWA with a PROD PWA, then the patch levels can be different.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 9:14 PM
  • Your help is fantastic thank you very much. 

I want them to perform the web config wizard, but that has stalled.  

Is it hard to spin up a new site and then move the database over to it or somehow get it to attach to the current databases and wss content?

I guess the question would be.  Should we focus on the old site and getting it working or should we scrap it and spin up a new site and spend our efforts getting the data over to it.

I am only a DBA and dont have much experience with Project Server or Sharepoint although after this problem I should have a ton of experience.  

Your help is appreciated.  

Jeff

Thursday, January 22, 2015 11:53 PM
  • We downloaded update and installed Service Pack 2 to finally get the configuration wizard to run.  It ran and failed the first time - we found the error and resolved them and ran it again and it finished.  

The site still did not come up, so they ran the config wizard again and selected Disconnect from Farm and it failed to reconnect.  Or failed entirely not sure what happened.

We received the following errors

When running Configuration Wizard - Disconnect mode we received the following errors

ERR The ServerBindings or SecureBindings property was not found for IIS schema IIsWebServer

ERR An exception of type System.InvalidOperationException was thrown.  Additional exception information: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
    System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.WebSiteCollection.GetServerBindings(PropertyCollection properties, Boolean& secure, String& ip, Int32& port, String& host)

ERR Failed to retrieve the server bindings with an internal InvalidOperationException

Your help is appreciated.  

• Edited by ayoubjeff Sunday, January 25, 2015 1:13 AM
    Saturday, January 24, 2015 9:05 PM