none
(Win 7) access my Internet Explorer 9 favorites from a folder on my external USB f-drive. RRS feed

• Question

• I need to access my IE Favorites folder from two computers using a networked external USB drive (F:). To get the folders there from both computers I right clicked on the Favorites folder in its usual place on the C: drive (in the User account folder). I then selected Properties, then Location tab and then clicked on the Move button, and moved the folder to the networked F: drive. I removed the Read Only checkmark for the folder in the new location (right click on the file name, selected Properties). On one computer it works fine, I see my Favorites in IE, but on the other, using the same procedure, IE will not start when I click on its title in All Programs from the Start Menu. The Favorites registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders on both computers correctly shows a Data value of "F:\Second Copy\Favorites" (F: is the networked drive) as a result of the above noted move procedure. What could be causing the problem with the one computer? It's not a problem of one computer locking out the other from the Favorites folder - each computer is properly given access via the employed network protocol.
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:35 AM

All replies

• IE will not start when I click on its title in All Programs from the Start Menu.

Sounds like a coincidence which could be completely unrelated to the cause that you are thinking of.

For a start see what happens if you start IE via  Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter:)

iexplore.exe  -nohome  -extoff

FWIW normally I would have to at least use Stop to do anything with the IE UI but apparently Alt-a works even then.   YMMV.

In any case, that would be a minimal test case to trace using ProcMon and compare with whatever you see as your problem case.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:44 PM
    Answerer
  • I think this problem arose because the instructions for moving the Favorites folder is not clear - they are vague. The above procedure suggested had no problem starting IE, but while I was in the process of doing it, IE started on its own after I again tried to use the UI to do it - it just took a minute or so to start. Now the problem is the Favorites on neither computer (while properly accessing the networked drive) show up in the browser.
    Friday, March 29, 2013 3:11 PM
  • I mean vague in the sense that, no problem if you are just moving the Favorites somewhere else, but what then if you want another computer pointing to the same Favorites folder.
    Friday, March 29, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Hi,

You can copy these favorites to other folder and then open them as the workaround.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:47 AM