none
microsoft RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have received 2 emails saying my microsoft account has been hacked by someone in Indonesia.

The address is`Microsoft account team <account-security-noreply@account.microsoft.com>`

I believe this is fraudulent, can you confirm please?

Thank you Barry Carleton

Monday, April 28, 2014 11:00 AM

All replies

• What do the headers of the message say?  You can run them through the message analyzer on https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/ to help you see if they are valid or not.

In case you don't know how to view the message headers, if you are using Outlook, open a message, then get the properties of the message.  in the lower section of the properties page, you will see the message headers.  Paste those into the message analyzer and click Analyze headers.

Monday, April 28, 2014 11:53 AM
  • Also, there is another simple way to confirm whether this email is fake or not: please try to reply it and wait for return message. If the reply mail cannot be delivered since this address is not available, it must be a fraudulent
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 2:21 PM
  • That's not true at all - many corporations send out emails from non-existent addresses (and in this case, the address specifically says "noreply"), but give information in the message that shows how to contact them about the message.  But if the headers don't say the message came from a Microsoft system or one of its registered SMTP servers, it is not valid.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 3:04 PM