none
Windows Update - NO Office 2016 Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Been messing with Win10 Enterprise for many months. Have the 1511 build. Love it.  Windows Update works fine.  I do have the checkbox checked to get updates for all Microsoft products.  I have noticed that I am not getting ANY updates for Office 2016.  So I just ran the manual update for Office via file\account\update options\update now.  It ran, downloaded, installed silently (Windows Update box went away), waited 10 minutes.  Ran it again, it says I'm up to date.

Update history shows ZERO updates for Office.  Programs and Features\Installed Updates\ ZERO Office updates.

I noticed some other folks on different blogs with the same issue. 

I work for a LARGE government agency in IT.  This test machine has been doing great except for this one issue.  Am I missing a reg key?  Need to reinstall something?  I'm open for ideas.

Peter

Friday, March 11, 2016 6:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After discussing this issue with Office support team, I got following results:

It is by design. Office Updates with Office 2016 Click-to-Run version is different with its MSI based counterpart. Tools like Microsoft Update and corresponding MSP files are not involved in software updates.

Instead, The software update process in Click-to-Run functions by first discovering what is already installed, examining the updates being delivered and only applying the differential files. If your machine is set to receive automatic updates from Microsoft, it would receive automatic updates monthly from Microsoft Servers. When the latest update is available, Office will schedule a time randomly over the next few days to download and install the update.

Therefore, the Click-to-Run version Office 2016 would update directly from Microsoft server and no update history would be recorded in Microsoft Update of Control Panel. Additionally, to update Office 2016 application manually, please open any Office 2016 application, choose File > Account > Update Options > Update Now.

Refer to this link: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/odsupport/2014/02/03/managing-updates-with-office-2013-click-to-run/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 18, 2016 7:42 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi,

Which version of Office 2016 have you installed?
    Only the VL version from VLSC still receive the updates from Windows Update or WSUS.

Other versions are now called Click to Run or C2R. These versions are updated through Office directly.

Start Word then go to File > Account, you should see a button to check for updates.

Gerald

Friday, March 11, 2016 6:45 PM
  • If you notice in my initial comment I was able to manually update Office via Word.

What I completely do not get is taking Office out of Microsoft/Windows Update.  Besides, what's the point of a checkbox under settings, Windows Update, to update OTHER Microsoft products if Office is not one of them.   If security is paramount I should be able to go to one settings page and click Update All.  Not auto update my OS but have to manually patch my apps.

Monday, March 14, 2016 5:58 PM
  • Hi, 

Please understand that Windows Update only does updates for the Windows operating system itself. These updates also include Windows components such as Internet Explorer, DirectX, .NET and Windows Media Player. It also includes security and service pack updates.

Microsoft Update includes all of the items that Windows Update covers as well as other Microsoft products such as Office, SQL and Exchange all in one place. 

To get update for Office from Windows update, you can check on give me update for Microsoft product in Windows update at the same time:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Update-Office-and-your-computer-with-Microsoft-Update-2ab296f3-7f03-43a2-8e50-46de917611c5

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 3:39 PM
    Owner
  • I guess you don't read the original post above.  I checked the box for other Microsoft updates.  It Doesn't work.  That's the whole damn point of posting this.  IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:44 PM
  • Honestly, I've been in IT for 30 years.  I've been in charge of WSUS for 4000 machines, SCCM updates for 40000.  I know how it's supposed to work.  It is NOT working the way it is supposed to work.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:46 PM
  • If you want WSUS or Windows Update to provides Office 2016 updates, you need to use a VLSC version.

Unfortunately, this is the way C2R is updating. It's like Office 365.

SCCM is able to provides updates for Office 365. Maybe you can check if it is able to provide updates for Office 2016 C2R. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt652200.aspx

Gerald

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 1:05 PM
  • Peter,

Maybe I don't understand, I am sorry, but you say you work at a "LARGE government agency in IT"  and you are using Windows 10 an "Office 2016."  ah, really?  How were you able to secure Windows and Office (not talking protection from the outside, but protecting users from windows and office)??

That is an amazing trick.  So far I have not been able to. Almost everything we have tried, from uninstalling components to setting policies have failed.  We ended up enabling the system firewall to block itself and using the network firewalls to block outbound traffic. But still leaks occur. How did you get windows 10 and office to pass a security audit?

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 1:40 PM
  • Hi,

After discussing this issue with Office support team, I got following results:

It is by design. Office Updates with Office 2016 Click-to-Run version is different with its MSI based counterpart. Tools like Microsoft Update and corresponding MSP files are not involved in software updates.

Instead, The software update process in Click-to-Run functions by first discovering what is already installed, examining the updates being delivered and only applying the differential files. If your machine is set to receive automatic updates from Microsoft, it would receive automatic updates monthly from Microsoft Servers. When the latest update is available, Office will schedule a time randomly over the next few days to download and install the update.

Therefore, the Click-to-Run version Office 2016 would update directly from Microsoft server and no update history would be recorded in Microsoft Update of Control Panel. Additionally, to update Office 2016 application manually, please open any Office 2016 application, choose File > Account > Update Options > Update Now.

Refer to this link: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/odsupport/2014/02/03/managing-updates-with-office-2013-click-to-run/

Friday, March 18, 2016 7:42 AM
    Owner
  • Hi...I have the same problem...In my case I have upgraded 2 Windows 8.1 Pro devices(January 2016) from different manufacturers to now, Windows 10 Pro v.164. Everything worked fine with updates in 8.1 Pro, until I install 10 Pro. Now neither device updates Office H & S 2013. I have posted my problem in other forums, with little to no response. My other problem is: "What am I not getting I need from the update program?". I do have that little 'tick' for; "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update windows"...seem rather pointless
    • Edited by stur2009 Monday, March 21, 2016 10:28 AM grammar
    Monday, March 21, 2016 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

Have you seen my previous post, I have explained that the updates channel depends on how you install your Office program.

For traditional way with MSI installer, you can get updates via Windows update. When you are using an Office 365 installation (also knows as Click to Run) of Office 2013 or Office 2016, then the updates will not be offered via Windows Update but will be installed automatically. You can manually check for updates from within any Office application.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/How-do-I-get-the-newest-features-in-Office-2016-for-Office-365-da36192c-58b9-4bc9-8d51-bb6eed468516

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:25 AM
    Owner
  • so you update Adobe products via Windows Update, but your own MS products are not updated via Windows Update? it makes no sense, and you should know it. How would i know which Office Updates have been installed? Is this "automatic" Office update even works?

Saturday, September 2, 2017 6:38 PM
  • Definitely a problem.

The click to run updates are a bandwidth hog, they require a different set of update servers (akamai addresses. a published list of which I've yet to find) so they get firewall blocked. You think IT people should whitelist everything on Akamai to every computer?

I've come to the conclusion that this Click to Run stuff is just Evil. A curse to install, update and manage due to conflicts between MS Office software that only come to light after you hit them. As though Microsoft want us replacing a thousand quid of software every time they change the version number.

Saturday, November 18, 2017 11:06 AM
  • I have office 2016 msi version, and windows 10 (upgraded from win7), and office updates are not appearing either...

is there any other way to update than manually checking and downloading the updates?

Monday, December 18, 2017 10:59 PM
  • I am having the same issue.  My firewall is blocking Office 2016 from updates.  I only have a few users on 2016, so I temporary add an exception and update Office.  This is not a good solution.

What can I do to fix this permanently?

• Edited by CJ_IT_Guy Wednesday, January 17, 2018 7:08 PM
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 7:07 PM
  • Hello,

maybe the same problem for us here.

There is simply no Update Options or image or anythingelse about it in

File > Account > ?

What is wrong with this update tool ?

Regard.

• Proposed as answer by pierre-cire Monday, April 9, 2018 10:20 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by pierre-cire Monday, April 9, 2018 10:31 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 10:19 AM
  • Ah sorry for us on Windows 10, you must go to the update control pannel, click on the advanced options, and select "...other microsoft products..."

Close.

Click again on the update tool, and it work's.

Regard.

• Proposed as answer by pierre-cire Monday, April 9, 2018 10:31 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 10:31 AM