none
Secondary DPM protection for a DR test RRS feed

• Question

• in a few weeks, my company will be testing our DR site.  i have a primary DPM in the main office and a secondary DPM in the dr site.  currently, we have the secondary DPM running protection for all the same entities of the Primary minus Exchange DAG and File.  (those boxes have dedicated DR boxes)

My question is, what will happen to the protection if the items from the primary dpm when that link is cut. 

1) will the dr protection fail because the primary dpm is not accessible?

2) with the secondary DPM know to switch disaster protection automatically

3) i would have to switch disater protection manually to "make" the secondary dpm backup the entities of the primary.

my hopes, that the attempt to protect the data of the primary dpm will just fail and the the switch disaster protetion will not automatically switch to the secondary.

lastly, is there a way to suspend a protection group.  my hope is not to have to stop protection of a group.

thanks

Ian

Ian
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You would need to manually switch protection so the secondary could continue to protect the datasources. When the primary DPM server is again available you would switch protection back.

The best way to suspend a protection group is to stop protection of the group and choose the default option of retaining the data. When you need to protect the group again recreate it again.

Thanks,

Marc

Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:14 PM