none
Bizarre request: Microsoft Basic PDS 7.1 RRS feed

• General discussion

• (Can't find an appropriate forum for bizarre licensing questions...)

How would I go about getting a proper license for Microsoft Basic PDS 7.1?

I have a QBasic program that could benefit from the additional memory/file routines/database.

Porting to FreeBASIC or QB64 is not ideal in my case as there are incompatible routines used. I'm also sort of challenging myself to work with "real" MS Basic which comes with strict limitations.

Would being in possession of a physical copy be enough to say I have the right to use it? And moreover, distribute the resulting software? I'm currently using a copy of QuickBASIC 4.5 I bought closed in box 18 years ago.

Does Microsoft have an avenue for licensing legacy software products? Do they have an official stance on abandonware/orphaned works? 

I'm very aware that I could port the software to a modern language but I'm embarking on a passion project to make the best possible game I can in a classic Microsoft BASIC. Bad enough, the tools I'm using to make the game grew out of control and had to be ported to JavaScript. I can't compromise on the game, however. I want the game to be written purely in BASIC or ASM routines for BASIC. Black Annex claimed to be written in QuickBASIC, but he cheated, the game was written in QB64, which has none of the memory or speed limitations that make it a real challenge. I've run up against a wall in making my game and would like to use CHAIN to restructure everything. My game has an interpreted scripting language to run dialog and cinematic events. I'm currently at around a couple thousand lines of code in each of 40 modules for a total of probably 100,000 lines of code. The variable space for this interpreter is critical and needs to be in memory, currently using QB arrays.

I want to keep it legal but so far my best option is to buy a sealed copy for $1600 which I don't want to have to do. (I will if I have to though.) And even then.... Will that even help? I don't want to spend $1600 and still be in shady licensing hell.

Monday, October 15, 2018 3:03 PM

All replies

• These programs are not available or supported anymore.  You will have to convert them to a modern language.

This is not the correct forum for your issues.  Please contact MS support directly if this is a critical issue.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, October 15, 2018 3:39 PM
  • We're not Microsoft employees and would not be the people to ask licensing questions.

This is a Windows scripting Q&A forum (see the first posts).

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, October 15, 2018 11:05 PM