none
How to use the TMG proxy server as DNS server for accessing the external sited if internal DNS is down RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 tmg server one has firewall and another one as proxy with ad servers which is the replication of the  HQ through intranet

Client pc gateway IP is firewall and ad server as dns ips

now my intranet was down I want to access few sites and outlook mails   through internet which was accessed earlier through intranet

can some one pls help

Friday, December 11, 2015 3:14 PM

All replies

• There a few different options but you need to install DNS on your TMG first. Configure a forwarder to an external DNS (your ISP or whatever you find suitable) and then a conditional forwarder to  your AD DNS.

Then configure your clients as web proxy clients OR have them use the DNS on the TMG as their DNS. The first one would be preferred as it is least invasive.

If you configure your clients to use TMG as the proxy they will not attempt to resolve the names themselves, e.g. they will send a request to the proxy saying GET cnn.com instead of first resolving the URL to an IP address and then sending it to the default gateway.

Hth, Anders Janson Enfo Zipper

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:28 AM