none
Project 2016 file locking when mpp stored in Sharepoint Online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I'm seeing a number of different file locking issues when storing my Project mpp files on Sharepoint Online. I have a set of 6 interlinked mpp files. 

1) Predecessor / Successor dependencies between files: when one of the 6 project mpps is open it locks all the other files for editing

2) When the files are included as sub-projects in a consolidated Project mpp file: if the consolidated file is open the other sub-project files are locked for editing

3) cannot access a shared resource file: when trying to access a resource file stored on Sharepoint, project doesn't recognise it as one so cannot connect to it.

Any one seeing similar issues? Is this the expected behaviour?

Would further detail on the issues help?

Thanks

• Edited by nhsTim Thursday, January 25, 2018 9:43 AM
    Friday, December 8, 2017 11:39 AM

Answers

• nhs Tim --

Microsoft Project does not support master projects or interlinked projects stored in a web-based tool such as SharePoint Online.  All of your problems are a consequence of this.  If you truly need to use master projects and interlinked projects, you need to move all of your project files from SharePoint Online to a network folder instead.   There is no work around to this limitation with SharePoint Online.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, July 19, 2019 12:17 PM

All replies

• Hi

I have the same issue - did you solve this at all?

P

Friday, July 19, 2019 10:24 AM
  • nhs Tim --

Microsoft Project does not support master projects or interlinked projects stored in a web-based tool such as SharePoint Online.  All of your problems are a consequence of this.  If you truly need to use master projects and interlinked projects, you need to move all of your project files from SharePoint Online to a network folder instead.   There is no work around to this limitation with SharePoint Online.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, July 19, 2019 12:17 PM