Allow SMTP relay from an invalid email address RRS feed

• Question

• Okay so here is the scenario.  We have a phone system that is allowed to SMTP relay through our Exchange 2007 server to deliver voice mail messages to users on the Exchange server.  The problem is that in our phone system if a caller's profile does not have a email address attached to it, the calling extensions are stamped as from <1234> (where 1234 is calling extension number).  This is obviously an invalid email address and Exchange 2007 is rejecting the message because there is no @ or domain attached to the sender.  We had this same phone system setup with our Exchange 2003 server and it did not complain.  All the mail relay settings are correct for anonymous relaying, as we have copiers and subsequently other voice mail users utilizing the Exchange 2007 server for relay.  We are going to go through and enter the email addresses for all our voice mail subscribers, but is there any way we can "allow" this sort of invalid email address even temporarily while we update the 500+ voice mail account profiles?
    Friday, January 15, 2010 6:24 PM

Answers

• On Tue, 19-Jan-10 14:46:56 GMT, Patrick1445 wrote:

>Rich,Thank you for the reply. Would the syntax be this: set-receiveconnector MailRelay -DefaultDomain nhvweb.net

If "MailRelay" is the name of the Receive Connector, yes. I'd expect
    it to be "server\MailRelay" though.

Run "get-receiveconnector" to get the correct "Identity" value.
    ---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Wei Friday, January 22, 2010 6:02 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:43 AM

All replies

• On Fri, 15-Jan-10 18:24:41 GMT, Patrick1445 wrote:

>Okay so here is the scenario. We have a phone system that is allowed to SMTP relay through our Exchange 2007 server to deliver voice mail messages to users on the Exchange server. The problem is that in our phone system if a caller's profile does not have a email address attached to it, the calling extensions are stamped as from <1234> (where 1234 is calling extension number). This is obviously an invalid email address and Exchange 2007 is rejecting the message because there is no @ or domain attached to the sender. We had this same phone system setup with our Exchange 2003 server and it did not complain. All the mail relay settings are correct for anonymous relaying, as we have copiers and subsequently other voice mail users utilizing the Exchange 2007 server for relay. We are going to go through and enter the email addresses for all our voice mail subscribers, but is there any way we can "allow" this sort of invalid email address even temporarily while we update the 500+
    >voice mail account profiles?

Use the "set-receiveconnector" cmdlet and use the "-DefaultDomain"
    parameter. To emulate the E2K3 behavior use the primary SMTP email
    domain from your E-Mail Address Policies' "Default Policy".
    ---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, January 16, 2010 4:24 AM
  • In addition,y ou may also need to write a script which gives every account with no email address an email address of 1234@yourdomain.com etc.

Saturday, January 16, 2010 1:31 PM
  • Rich,

Thank you for the reply.  Would the syntax be this:  set-receiveconnector MailRelay -DefaultDomain nhvweb.net

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:46 PM
  • On Tue, 19-Jan-10 14:46:56 GMT, Patrick1445 wrote:

>Rich,Thank you for the reply. Would the syntax be this: set-receiveconnector MailRelay -DefaultDomain nhvweb.net

If "MailRelay" is the name of the Receive Connector, yes. I'd expect
    it to be "server\MailRelay" though.

Run "get-receiveconnector" to get the correct "Identity" value.
    ---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

• Marked as answer by Elvis Wei Friday, January 22, 2010 6:02 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:43 AM