none
Why wont Project Server 2010 Allow Over Allocations? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using Project Server 2010. We have found that at times when we over allocate a resource Project allows it, and other times instead of allowing it, Project will reschedule the time to a future date and push the project finish date out instead. We would like to be able to overallocate resources, as this is the basis for determining our future hiring needs. (When we review the Resource Availability data it will show the overalloctions). If Project will not allow us to overallocate the resource but simply pushes the dates out instead we are unable to tell when we need to hire more resources. Any thoughts on why sometimes Project will overallocate a resource and sometimes it will reschedule the assignments to the future instead?

Judy Washington

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 6:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In Project Professional, Reource ribbon, click on Leveling Options. Make sure "Manual" is tiched iand ot "automatic" and after that never click "Level All". Then yyou can overallocate at will.

Greetings,

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:45 PM
  • Hi Jan,

Our leveling option is set to manual and we do not use "Level All", yet Project is still leveling our resources. Any other ideas what may be causing it? thanks,

Judy

Judy Washington

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:02 PM
  • Perhaps an example would help us to be sure we understand exactly what you mean when you say you over-allocate a resource.  It most commonly means either 1) assigning the same resource to two or more tasks that are scheduled to happen at the same time; or 2) assigning a resource to a task with more than 100% units.

Also, to confirm whether or not Project is actually leveling resources, kindly display the Leveling Delay field and see if it has any values.  If not, then Project is not leveling, and some other functionality is responsible for the results you are seeing.

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 10:12 PM
  • Judy,

I recall reading recently that using the Team Planner causes leveling to be active. Don't know if it's true. Maybe Jan, who is our resident expert on leveling, can confirm this.

John

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 2:54 AM
  • Hi All,

Back from business travel.

First, using team planner does NOT activate leveling: it provides a manual alternative to Project's leveling but it does not activate it.

The only possibility I see is that there is an event-driven macro active that levels or activates leveling. Since the original question mentions Server, this macro may well reside in the Enterprise Global. If that is the case, the answer to the question "Why doesn't Server allow overallocations" is: because in your company, the Server administrator has decided so. Project doesn't do this natively, in no version or SP level.

Greetings,

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Reid,

I will have to get that example for you from the PM who brought it to my attention. I am the Server Admin. Thanks.

Judy Washington

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 1:38 PM
  • Jan,

I am the Server Admin and I can assure you I have not created any macros in the Enterprise Global ( I have no idea how to do that), nor are there any macros in the client itself. We are only 2 months into using Project and therefore use it at its most basic level of functionality.

Judy

Judy Washington

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Jan,

Thanks for clarifying about the Team Planner. I've never used it and perhaps I confused the Team Planner alternative to actual activation of leveling.

I knew you were the expert.

John

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Reid,

Here is the example of over-allocation provided by the PM who is experiencing the issue:

The over-allocation problem is between multiple projects, not on the same plan. I don’t want to over-allocate a resource within one plan. I want to over-allocate a resource between multiple plans because some plans have mistakenly allocated that resource and I don’t have the ability to fix those other plans.

For a simplistic example:

Create, save, and publish Project 1 with a task that runs 10 June through 28 June and has enterprise resource “BM” assigned to that task 8 hours every working day.

Try to create Project 2 with a task that you want to run June 20-21 (due to scheduling and dependencies) and uses enterprise resource “BM” 8 hours both of those days. When you go into the Resource Usage view on Project 2 and attempt to assign 8 hours to BM on June 20 or 21, Project moves that 8 hours to July 1. In the Gantt view, you cannot “drag the bar” or change the Start Date to make the task run June 20-21.

Hope that helps clarify the issue. Thanks.

Judy Washington

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 4:15 PM
  • The only way I can recreate the scenario described is to:

1. Set Project 2's priority lower than Project 1's
    2. Set Leveling Calculation to Automatic
    3. Set Leveling order to Priority, Standard

When I do those things I get exactly the result described.

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 4:38 PM
  • Hi all,

This is exactly what I said in my very first reply 24 hours ago, but Judy insists Leveling stands to Manual. Judy, just to make sure, the other "task" is not an administrative task is it? Administrative tasks are equivalet to the resource being unavailable.

Greetings,

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Jan,

No, the other task is not an administrative task. I provided the question and scenario exactly the way they were provided to me by the PM experiencing the issue. The PM is checking the allocation settings for all projects that were affected and as soon as he gets back to me I will provide an update as to whether Reid's suggestion answered the question. Thanks.  

Judy Washington

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 7:33 PM