Outlook Metered Connection RRS feed

• Question

• We have two machines with office 2016 installs with the same issue in Outlook. We are on office network, not metered (internet connection has nothing to do with the problem). This has occurred on 2 machines, one a Windows 7, and one on Windows 8.1. Both give the metered connection message, plus the upgrade in progress message. In both, reply all doesn't work, can't change account settings (such as signature), and mail gets stuck in the outbox. Using the webapp works, but this is just a temporary solution.

The Windows 7 (service pack 1) machine we figured out it will work if we run Outlook as Administrator. Seems to get rid of the errors. The Windows 8.1 machine also works in Administrator mode.

Have tried:

• Running online diagnostic and fixit tools (no change)
    • Uninstalling several times, including a complete wipe (no change)
    • Updating the version (this issue has continued for at least 2 minor revisions, .6769.2015 and .2017).

The version that seems to be an issue is 16.0.6769.2017. But that is on at least seven machines with Windows 7, Service Pack 1, and only one has an issue. Seems to have popped up after a Windows update (on both Windows 7 and 8).

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but it is annoying. PLEASE HELP! Need a solution.

Please don't respond with a solution that involves an uninstall or looking at our internet. Have already done that, i assure it that is not the issue. To me it would seem to have something to do with security settings in Outlook or some kind of bug in Windows or Outlook. Otherwise, why would it work fine running in Admin mode?

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Would you please provide the exact error messages you got so that we can understand the issue more clearly?

As Outlook works properly when running as administrator, it could be a permission issue.

While we can't tell what permission we need directly, I suggest you try the Process Monitor tool to monitor what is denied when you meet the issue:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb896645.aspx

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, May 5, 2016 8:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Friday, May 6, 2016 7:47 AM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Would you please provide the exact error messages you got so that we can understand the issue more clearly?

As Outlook works properly when running as administrator, it could be a permission issue.

While we can't tell what permission we need directly, I suggest you try the Process Monitor tool to monitor what is denied when you meet the issue:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb896645.aspx

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, May 5, 2016 8:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Friday, May 6, 2016 7:47 AM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 8:39 AM
  • I've downloaded and run process monitor but i do not know what to do with this output nor do i know what i am looking for.  It is just running through millions of events and doesn't seem to be coming to any kind of conclusion. Do you want me to export it?

There is no specific error that pops up. Here is a screen shot of what shows up on the "file" tab: I am neither on a metered connection (this shows up no matter what connection i'm on) nor is this updating (unless it has been updating for three weeks straight, which is not working properly). Uninstalling several times and several ways, PLUS restoring from an update on windows did not resolve this error. This is very frustrating.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:54 PM
  • i should also say that outlook has updated a few times since this message popped up (minor version updates) and it still doesn't resolve the issue.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:56 PM
  • Is this issue not getting any attention?! I still need some help with this.

• Edited by dsmith-haa Monday, May 16, 2016 9:02 PM
    Monday, May 16, 2016 9:02 PM
  • Hello dsmith

Sorry for the inconvenience.. This is a known issue going on latest version of outlook.

I would request you downgrade your outlook version.

Please follow the below article to resolve it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161084

Please let me know if you have more concerns.

Regards. 

Abdul samad

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 1:40 PM
  • Thank you, i do appreciate the response. I will try this out. 

Small things like knowing this is an issue that is being looked at does make me feel better.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 5:58 PM
  • Hello dsmith 

Sure please try and let me know if that works or not..

Regards

Abdul samad

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:11 PM
  • Hello dsmith 

Is everything is working fine?

Regards, 

Abdul samad

Friday, May 20, 2016 10:18 AM
  • yes, sorry, going back in versions as outlined is working fine now. Thank you for that link - i could not find that previously.
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 1:51 PM