Creating Business Services RRS feed

• Question

• I kind of feel lost on what I should be doing here, but I don't know where else to go.

I don't really understand Business Services. I get it when used in correlation with SCOM and SCCM, but I'm confused as to whether I am using this same technique to create my own services within SM. Like our internal applications... Do I need to create the business service to allow workflows to be created and then routed for particular tickets? Is this the point? How do I create the custom fields so customers can select our products for support? 

I feel like I am probably overthinking this, but the docs that I read from MS aren't really answering my questions and I don't know where to go to get started on the customization of SM for our site.

Thanks for any docs or words of wisdom anyone can provide.

Friday, April 22, 2011 10:27 PM

Answers

• Hey

A Business Service is a Service Map (or "Distributed Application"). It shows the components of a Service and stores detailled information about it (e.g. Service Owner). If you already have SCOM in place, distributed applications can be imported using the SCOM CI connector. Therefore, you dont have to build your Business Services twice (in both tools). At the end, a Business Service is just a regular config item like computers, users etc., nothing more. Business Services are not a requirement to build workflows, but of course you can use Business Services information within workflows as option.

hope this helps ...

regards
    Marcel

SCSMfaq - http://blog.scsmfaq.ch ##### Microsoft Virtualization and Systems Management Partner - http://www.itnetx.ch
    • Marked as answer by A_joy3 Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:25 PM
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hey

A Business Service is a Service Map (or "Distributed Application"). It shows the components of a Service and stores detailled information about it (e.g. Service Owner). If you already have SCOM in place, distributed applications can be imported using the SCOM CI connector. Therefore, you dont have to build your Business Services twice (in both tools). At the end, a Business Service is just a regular config item like computers, users etc., nothing more. Business Services are not a requirement to build workflows, but of course you can use Business Services information within workflows as option.

hope this helps ...

regards
    Marcel

SCSMfaq - http://blog.scsmfaq.ch ##### Microsoft Virtualization and Systems Management Partner - http://www.itnetx.ch
    • Marked as answer by A_joy3 Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:25 PM
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Our Company uses the Business Services for all our Internal Applications. The problem I had doing this however for adding the application name (Ie what we call Business Services) to email notifications was that you cannot display the Business name - to get around this I used the Classification and used the same name for the Classification as the Business Service. I had to add all the Businesses Services to the Classification category in the List in the Library. A bit clumsy but it works. We also built our own portal which is linked to the Business Service so our End Users can choose the application they have the request or Incident for and this is linked with the Support Group (we have 3) that looks after that particular application. This way when the email notication arrives in our Support Group inbox it has the application showing so that the Support person knows who to assign the job to within the Support Group. Application :When creating your email template you can use for example - Type the word Applications: then use the Insert button on the template design part of the template

Application : $Context/Path[Relationship='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Library!System.WorkItemAboutConfigItem' TypeConstraint='CustomSystem_Library!System.Service']/Property[Type='CustomSystem_Library!System.Service']/Classification$

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:46 AM