Managing Vista Backup files on a external hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Vista Business Edition that join to a Windows 2003 Domain.  After a couple of months of doing Daily Backup the NT Backup stop working because the external hard drive ran out of disk space.  When the non-admin user try to delete some of those backup files on the external hard drive it prompted the user for an Administrator login account.  I granted the user Full Rights to the external drive in the Properties > Security Tab.  Why then is it prompting the user for an Administrator login account to delete these files.  Is there a way for the user to delete these files without having to grant the user Local Administrator Rights.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 1:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

cacls and icacls are command line utilities capable of displaying and modifying the access control lists (ACLs) on folders and files. An access control list is a list of permissions for securable object, such as a file or folder, that controls who can access it.

You may refer to the following links for the syntax and parameters:

Icacls

Cacls

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscriptionuser and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, April 5, 2012 1:36 AM
    Friday, March 30, 2012 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a normal behavior when the UAC feature is on.

If you would like to not prompt the administrator account, you may temporarily disable the UAC:

Turn User Account Control on or off

More information:

User Account Control Step-by-Step Guide

Regards,

Sabrina

If you are TechNet Subscriptionuser and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:12 AM
  • Hi Sabrina,

Thank you for your reply, but maybe I should have phase my question differently.  Is it necessary to grant Local Admin Rights to a user in order for the user to manager their external hard drive?  If so,  is there a way to do this.  Turning the UAC ON or OFF, from what I read from the web link just remove the Administator prompting but doesn't avoid giving the user Admin Rights.

Alvin

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:47 PM
  • Hi Alvin,

What about to run this command: icacls d:\ /grant BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(M)

Substitute whatever drive letter your external drive is mapped to for d:\. OI means "let objects (files) inherit this ACE". CI means "let containers (directories) inherit this ACE". M means "modify". An ACE is an Access Control List Entry, in other words, the entries in the ACL that grants or denies someone permission to the object.

More information: Changes to the default NTFS Discretionary Access Control List (DACL) settings in Windows Vista

Regards,

Sabrina

Sabrina

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Hi Sabrina,

I try running this command from a DOS prompt and I got this error

INVALID PARAMETERS "BUILTIN\Users:(OI)CI)(M)"

Would you know why?  Also I was reading about the DACL and it seem that Vista was design to allow users to work with directories outside of their private directory.  Is this line command to fix this problem?  While looking through the KB I notice the command use "cacls" instead of "icacls".  When I use the command "cacls" I got the CALS help screen display.  Can you double-check to see if the syntax you had provided is correct?

Thank You,

Alvin

Friday, March 30, 2012 12:28 AM
  • Hi,

cacls and icacls are command line utilities capable of displaying and modifying the access control lists (ACLs) on folders and files. An access control list is a list of permissions for securable object, such as a file or folder, that controls who can access it.

You may refer to the following links for the syntax and parameters:

Icacls

Cacls

Regards,

Sabrina

Sabrina

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, April 5, 2012 1:36 AM
    Friday, March 30, 2012 6:20 AM