none
Outlook 2016 Attach File, Recent Items greyed out/dull

Question

• Hello

I have come across 4 computers (todate) on our LAN where the Outlook Recent Items lists all recent files used, but they are all greyed out and cannot be selected, you can Browse this pc and attach successfully though.

Anyone else seen this or have a fix?

thanks

Thursday, February 18, 2016 9:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you run Outlook as administrator, does the issue persist?

You can check this registry key value below:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options\Mail
    Value name: MaxAttachmentMenuItems
    Value type: REG_DWORD

What is its value? It controls the amount of the recent items, make sure it's not 0.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Friday, February 19, 2016 3:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you run Outlook as administrator, does the issue persist?

You can check this registry key value below:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options\Mail
    Value name: MaxAttachmentMenuItems
    Value type: REG_DWORD

What is its value? It controls the amount of the recent items, make sure it's not 0.

Regards,

Melon Chen

Friday, February 19, 2016 3:19 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Melon Chen

Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:39 AM
  • Hi,

I'm marking the reply as answer.

If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Regards,

Melon Chen

Monday, February 29, 2016 8:53 AM
  • Do we have any other options for this?  We have Outlook 2016 64 bit.  The recent items will show the most recent items opened on my network drive.  However, they are still gray when we attempt to attach.
    Thursday, March 10, 2016 4:00 PM
  • Recent is recognizing the files but still has them gray.  What are options?
    Thursday, March 10, 2016 5:12 PM
  • I have the same issue with one of my users.  I checked the Registry key, but the MaxAttachmentMenuItems value key was not present.  My user told me that this started for him today, 3/16/16.

Options?

Thank you

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:47 PM
  • I had this issue but only when my T100chi was connected to my work LAN and it only affected files on mapped drives on the firm LAN; other files (e.g. on a local hard drive) would appear fine.  When I was at home connected to my home WiFi and then VPN'd to my work Exchange server the recent files list worked perfectly.  At about the same time, the network connection icon in my system tray started displaying a yellow triangle when connected to the work LAN.  OneDrive stopped syncing at work.  Web browsing worked fine. 

I updated (using Windows Update) the network card driver (ASIC AX887722 USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet adapter) and voila, all the problems disappeared.

It seems unlikely that many others will have exactly the same circumstances but my result provides a clue as to what to look at.  Update your network card drivers.  Check whether any other protocols (e.g. OneDrive) are having difficulty connecting.  If you use an online version of Office, make sure your licence is up to date and make sure your account is properly signed in.  Try disabling and re-enabling your network card.

Friday, April 22, 2016 2:54 AM
  • I just encountered this problem for the first time with a client.  This problem only began recently (June 2016).  Has anyone found another solution for this (other than the NIC driver issue)?
    Monday, June 27, 2016 9:09 PM
  • This worked for us for two stations encountering this problem.  Specifically disabling and re-enabling the network adapter resolved it.

• Proposed as answer by Rene M. Lopez Thursday, August 31, 2017 6:53 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 1:26 PM
  • Hello folks,

sorry for my bad english, but we had the same problem here in our company and we have found a solution, which worked for us. I don't want to keep in from you. 
    In our case only files on network shares were greyed out. Files on local drives not.

Obviously Outlook checks at the recent files attachments with the NCSI function if a network communication exists. It ignores any user-based proxy settings or physical connections to shares or internet connections.

If you are behind a firewall and using proxys, please check, if the network-symbol in your systray shows an direct internet connection. If not set a winhttp proxy with the netsh function in command line. https://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/cc731131%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

After that we were in the position to attach any files - whether they were placed on local or network drives.

• Edited by BrettPit Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:13 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:05 AM
  • Do we have a solution to this problem? I cannot find a solution anywhere!
    • Edited by Shari84 Friday, March 10, 2017 8:04 PM Spelling, Grammer
    Friday, March 10, 2017 8:03 PM
  • As said before, verify that the computer doesn't have "limited connectivity" (yellow triangle). It seems like Outlook recognizes this and simply won't give you the option to use files on LAN (even though you have network access to those, but limited Internet access).

You can either troubleshoot why the limited connectivity occurs, or you could do as I - set up an internal NCSI server which will prevent the limited Internet connectivity-state.

Monday, May 08, 2017 11:55 AM
  • Disabling and Enabling the Adapter also worked for one of my users.
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 6:54 PM
  • In our case, the user had a laptop, and it had both a wired and a wireless connection going at the same time.  Disabling or turning off wireless suddenly made the "Recent Items" list items available again.  The items in the list were on a network share.
    Friday, September 15, 2017 1:44 PM
  • In my case the service netprofm is disabled. I run this service and the problem was vanish.
    Friday, September 22, 2017 7:03 PM
  • Hi... just disable the network adapter and disable it again, by putting your PC in DHCP press F5 then give your PC the same IP address It had before and press F5 again that would refresh the new settings o changes you had made; some how your connection with the folder where you had your documents got disconnected... It happens sometimes and no... don't worry you didn't lose any files....
    Friday, November 10, 2017 8:50 PM