none
DNS Help with Cable Internet RRS feed

• Question

• My original setup:

I have one Windows server that does double duty as a SQL server. And I have Verizon DSL. Plus one unmanaged switch.

IP addy of Server: 192.168.1.2
    IP addy of Verizon modem: 192.168.1.1

Only DNS setting on wired PCs are 192.168.1.1 and everything works great. My slow internet works and my critical app connects to the SQL db somehow.

Fast forward to yesterday - I order Cable Internet(Cox) - tech installs the cable modem (192.168.1.1) and the internet works but my critical app does not. It can't find the SQL db but I can browse to the shares via the server ip address.

This is the following sequence that I can make it work for a short time. Enter 192.168.1.2 as the primary DNS and open critical app. Enter 192.168.1.1 as the alternate DNS and the internet works. After a few minutes - the critical app stops responding.

Everything goes back to normal if I plug back the Verizon modem.

Any ideas?
    Friday, April 7, 2017 8:30 PM

All replies

• Never mind.  8.8.8.8 saves the day!
    Friday, April 7, 2017 9:13 PM
  • Hi Hokie,

>>tech installs the cable modem (192.168.1.1) and the internet works but my critical app does not.

Did you mean that this app could not connect to internet when you configure 192.168.1.1 be primary DNS server?

Please check if other devices could connected internet.

>>Everything goes back to normal if I plug back the Verizon modem.

You could contact with device provider to get effect support.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by John Lii Monday, April 24, 2017 6:18 AM
    Monday, April 10, 2017 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 6:18 AM