Copy email accounts from exch 2003 to exch 2010 in different domains? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Seagate Backup Exec to copy mail accounts from Exch 2003 to Exch 2010 when doing migrations, but it's always the same domain. Now I'm building a new domain with all the same users, from scratch, and want to move the users email from Exch 2003/Server 2003 to Exch 2010/Server 2008 R2 in a different domain. The new account names are the same as the old account names, just a different domain name.

Not sure this will work with Symantec BEXEC - anyone got any other ideas?

You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.  Trust yourself.
    spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

Monday, October 3, 2011 10:43 PM

Answers

• In article <7707b700-0b4c-4d8c-bc95-
    87d62fcc741e@communitybridge.codeplex.com>, Ed Crowley [MVP] says...

Whenever I see Troy's name I know the plug for the product he sells can't  be far behind.

I wouldn't recommend Exmerge since it isn't supported for Exchange 2010.   Besides, it's not necessary if you can make the interforest mailbox mov e request work.

Thanks, as I responded in the other group, I'm goint to try the interforest method, and since I have everything setup on VM's and we're not using the new domain yet, I can always restore the Exchange VM from backup if something is corrupted.

You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.  Trust yourself.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:05 PM

All replies

• I have been using Seagate Backup Exec to copy mail accounts from Exch 2003 to Exch 2010 when doing migrations, but it's always the same domain. Now I'm building a new domain with all the same users, from scratch, and want to move the users email from Exch 2003/Server 2003 to Exch 2010/Server 2008 R2 in a different domain. The new account names are the same as the old account names, just a different domain name.

Not sure this will work with Symantec BEXEC - anyone got any other ideas?

Monday, October 3, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Why are you creating new domains?  That's an awful lot of work.  And I've never heard of using BackupExec to do this kind of thing.

The standard answer is to use ADMT to migrate the accounts with SID history, and to use Exchange 2010's New-MoveRequest cmdlet to migrate the mailbox content.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Monday, October 3, 2011 11:33 PM
  • I responded to your duplicate post in this thread.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Monday, October 3, 2011 11:39 PM
  • In article <8618d9d9-e108-4f0d-a289-f7c10211f2a4
    @communitybridge.codeplex.com>, Ed Crowley [MVP] says...

Why are you creating new domains?  That's an awful lot of work.  And  I've never heard of using BackupExec to do this kind of thing.

The standard answer is to use ADMT to migrate the accounts with SID histo ry, and to use Exchange 2010's New-MoveRequest cmdlet to migrate the mailbo x content.

The old domain is corrupt and it's easier to create a new domain and move everything clean.

We only have about 90 computers in the domain, and we've moved to two large 9xx series Dell servers and created multiple child servers to handle all that we need.

The BEXEC thing was just something I tried one time and it worked, but it was the same domain to the same domain, but 2003 to 2010 and saved me a lot of time since the migration was done off-site.

In this case we're using one network, two LAN domains, no trusts, moving the users over a weekend, keeping the public domain name for email and the same email addresses.

Just wondering, rather than exporting to PST and then importing, if there was a quick way to do this.

TIA

Sorry for the duplicate, but the Community connector doesn't permit cross posting to multiple MS groups.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:17 AM
  • The answer I provided remains valid.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:22 AM
  • In article <3df11fa0-4574-4829-b859-
    96e49fa949be@communitybridge.codeplex.com>, Ed Crowley [MVP] says...

The answer I provided remains valid.

Thanks - I will review that path - not used it before.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:20 AM
    1. Good advice from Ed and probably the best path
    2. if you use the export via ExMerge and them import pst via cmdlets on 2010 method you need to consider the following;

A. ExMerge only supports the ANSI PST Format which has a 2GB limit

B. ExMerge will not warn you if a PST goes over 2GB, it will just corrupt the PST and you won’t know it until you try to open it

C. ANSI PST's actually start to degrade at about 1.8GB so I would not go over that limit in order to ensure the data is recoverable

With that in mind here is an article on how to script the creation of overflow PST's if you reach the 2GB limit http://theessentialexchange.com/blogs/michael/archive/2009/10/16/exporting-mailboxes-larger-than-2-gb-on-an-exchange-server.aspx

3. Alternatively, you can look at 3rd party tools like DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp that can  do what you’re asking about and more, i.e. DigiScope allows you to open the offline 2003 EDB and then push the data directly into the new 2010 server

4. Either way bear in mind that replies to the migrated messages may fail and modifications to old calendar items may not work right because the X500 addresses from the original Exchange server will not be assigned to the mailboxes in the new Exchange server. Here are some details about that problem here: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Understanding-LegacyExchangeDN.html 

and you can use the LegacyExchangeDN tool http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=19034 Basically, you need the legacyExchangeDN from the old Exchange install to be added to the new recipients as an X500 format ProxyAddress entry. It's not too bad to do, once you know what to do.

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers with Lucid8's DigiScope

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:07 PM
  • Whenever I see Troy's name I know the plug for the product he sells can't be far behind.

I wouldn't recommend Exmerge since it isn't supported for Exchange 2010.  Besides, it's not necessary if you can make the interforest mailbox move request work.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Alway's nice to hear from you as well Ed.

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers with Lucid8's DigiScope
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:50 PM
  • On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 18:50:50 +0000, Troy Werelius wrote:

>Alway's nice to hear from you as well Ed.

Well, ya gotta admit -- facts is facts. ;-)

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:50 PM
  • Hey Rich, I didn't say otherwise and was attempting to be light hearted on the subject,  however, that said in regards to facts, you will note that WHEN POSSIBLE as above I attempt to add valuable information to the subject at hand on how to accomplish with MS processes and utilities along with the option to use one of our products when appropriate which in some cases can accomplish the goal faster, more efficiently, with less hassle and in some cases our tools can do things that are simply not possible with the native MS utilities and processes.
    Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:01 PM
  • On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 22:01:45 +0000, Troy Werelius wrote:

>Hey Rich, I didn't say otherwise and was attempting to be light hearted on the subject,

That's what the smiley was for.

>however, that said in regards to facts, you will note that WHEN POSSIBLE as above I attempt to add valuable information to the subject at hand

I didn't say that you don't.

>on how to accomplish with MS processes and utilities along with the option to use one of our products when appropriate which in some cases can accomplish the goal faster, more efficiently, with less hassle and in some cases our tools can do things that are simply not possible with the native MS utilities and processes.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:53 AM
  • We can't install admt toll 3.1 on window server 2008 R2.  the target domain would have dc os ( w2k3 or w2k8 ) so that we can install admt tool
    Thanks Joseph Pradeep =========================================================== If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 10:41 AM
  • ok, its sometimes difficult to interpret the intent of certain post, so thanks for the clarification, much appreciated  :-) :-)
    Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:01 PM
  • In article <7707b700-0b4c-4d8c-bc95-
    87d62fcc741e@communitybridge.codeplex.com>, Ed Crowley [MVP] says...

Whenever I see Troy's name I know the plug for the product he sells can't  be far behind.

I wouldn't recommend Exmerge since it isn't supported for Exchange 2010.   Besides, it's not necessary if you can make the interforest mailbox mov e request work.

Thanks, as I responded in the other group, I'm goint to try the interforest method, and since I have everything setup on VM's and we're not using the new domain yet, I can always restore the Exchange VM from backup if something is corrupted.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:05 PM