none
How do you stop resource overallocations from the past from showing up in the resource sheet? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

How do you stop resource overallocations from the past from showing up in the resource sheet? So, basically I want to find a way, so that only the tasks I will be planning are considered in the overallocation of resources (or give me an overallocation warning).

Obviously deleting the completed tasks, which were overallocated before my current date, would be a solution to remove the overallocation warning coming up. But I need to keep an archive of old tasks and their duration, so as to keep the overview and history of the project.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Stef

Stef

Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If the tasks are in the past, set them to 100% complete (or reshedule them in the future if they are not complete).

Hope this help.

Gérard Ducouret [Project MVP], Certifié Project 70632, Certifié ITIL

Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Stef, do your resources have remaining work in the past? If your resources have more work scheduled than they can do, they will show as being overallocated in both the Resource sheet and Resource Usage views - whether the date for this is in the past or the future. You shouldn't be scheduling people to do work in the past. If you zero out this remaining work, it will not cause them to appear as over-allocated - even if they have Actual Work that is over their standard units.

Graham

Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:07 PM
  • Dear Graham.

Thanks for your reply. The work in the past has been marked completed, so they only have remaining work in the future. So, basically you suggest that I remove the duration from the tasks in the past that were overallocated? I don't think I can do that. I mean I could and add a column keeping the number of hours. But it wouldn't really do what I wanted. Is there no way to like comment out, the old tasks?

Stef

Friday, October 5, 2012 8:00 AM
  • Hi Stef,

There is no way that you can remove over-allocation from resources if they have remaining work in past as well as future assignments. You should move all remaining work in past to future date or current date and then work on removing overallocation. You shouldn't delete you older tasks just to remove overallocation as it would impact in number of ways which you may not be identifiable from top, as schedule is closely knit network of dependencies.

If you are using 2010, you have an option of making incomplete tasks Inactive.

Sapna Shukla

Friday, October 5, 2012 9:43 AM
  • If you are using 2010, you have an option of making tasks Inactive.

Sapna Shukla

How exactly do I mark a task as inactive? Also, is this transferrable to 2003, if I were to save it in 2003 compatibility, i mean the inactivation of  task.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Stef

Friday, October 5, 2012 10:35 AM
  • 2003? A traditionalist. The Inactive Tasks function wasn't available then. My earlier suggestions were aimed at 2007 or 2010. To be honest, I don't remember how 2003 treated overallocation on 100% completed tasks in the past. I suppose from your notes that someone who spent 120% of their time doing actual work on a completed task in the past will show up as overallocated for ever. I think you're going to need to do a bit more experimenting. Things to test:

• Create a single new resource and see what happens to the overallocation indicator when you schedule a single task in the past for 9 hours in 1 day. Now what happens when you show that as 100% complete.
      • I'm pretty sure 2003 has resource availability detail. From the resource sheet, update the resource information and use the Resource availability dialog on the general tag to specify a higher level of availability for the offending resource for the period in the past - e.g. from NA to 8/1/12 set the units to 120%, then from 8/2/12 to NA set it to 100%. It looks as though this should work retroactively.
      • You could try experimenting with overtime work for the past tasks. This gets rather messy and I wouldn't recommend it but it might be possible to reeenter the actuals for the past work with the actual work being the normal standard units and the overallocation being overtime work.

Happy hunting

Graham

Friday, October 5, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Hi Stef,

There is no way that you can remove over-allocation from resources if they have remaining work in past as well as future assignments. You should move all remaining work in past to future date or current date and then work on removing overallocation. You shouldn't delete you older tasks just to remove overallocation as it would impact in number of ways which you may not be identifiable from top, as schedule is closely knit network of dependencies.

If you are using 2010, you have an option of making incomplete tasks Inactive.

Sapna Shukla

I have marked the resources in the past as completed. The schedule was not defined accurately when these tasks were done so several tasks have been set for simplicity at the beginning of the project for the resources that finished them. So, logically there will be a huge overallocation, even though the tasks have been copmleted they still show as an overallocation in the resource sheet.

How would I then make the tasks as inactive in 2010?

Thanks.

Stef

Monday, October 8, 2012 2:17 PM