none
One of backups to keep for 10 years? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello 

I'm looking to delete some old SAN volumes.  Before I do that I want to create DPM tape backup of them to keep for 10 years.

Any recommendations for the best way to achieve this?  As I am going to delete the volume I am not looking for a recurring backup. However 5 years seems to be the longest possible i can select for frequency.  Obviously they won't be there to backup in 5 years!

Should I create a protection group for each volume or can I create one protection group (e.g. Archive Forever) and just keep adding volumes to the PG?  After the backup should I stop the protection of member or should I just delete the entire protection group but keep the backup history?

I have searched quite a lot on this but don't seem to find a definitive answer.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 6:03 PM

All replies

• Anyone please?
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 4:18 PM
  • Hi,

If you are going to save the data to tapes. Then you can load your tape library with a set of empty tapes and then manually create a recovery point for all datasources you want to keep for ten years.

When the recovery points has been written to the tape/tapes. Unload it from your library and but in a safe location. Even thought your DPM-server will expire the tapes/recovery points you can always load your tape and choose to import the data(This can also be done from another DPM-server).

How to Create a Recovery Point

I hope you find this information useful!

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Thursday, May 5, 2016 5:57 PM
  • How about using online protection to Azure?

Using the Yearly Retention Policy you can keep it for as long as you want.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 11:07 AM
  • None these really answer the question.   How can I manually create a protection point without creating a Protection Group?  Why would I want a protection group if the data is going away?  Ok so I create a protection point for the purpose of creating the tape backup.  I manually create a recovery point.  Do i delete the protection group?

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:39 PM