Group mail address using distribution group RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an exchange server 2016 installed .I have an issue  with the "distribution group mail".
    I have created a distribution group mail known as " itsupport@local.com".i have associated individual email addresses to it. If  a mail is sent to itsupport@local.com,all members will recieve the mail. However, if a menber replies,his email address ,instead of the group email address will be seen by the recipient. I want to achieve a scenario whereby a member of the itsupport@local.com, sends mail ,the recipient will see the email "itsupport@local.com" as the sender's address and not the member's email address.. Can this be achieved in the exchange server 2016?

Monday, August 20, 2018 6:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Collinks2,

You might want to create a shared mailbox. Check out https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/collaboration/shared-mailboxes/shared-mailboxes

• Marked as answer by Collinks2 Thursday, August 23, 2018 10:20 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2018 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

The feature cannot be realized directly. As distribution group is a set of account constituting by different users, the distribution group will not be appear in the From box. You can create a shared mailbox as Stephen suggested. After creating it, assign full access to those users in the distribution group so that they can act as the owner of the mailbox. 

Please feel free to post your questions, and I am glad to provide further assistance.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Collinks2,

You might want to create a shared mailbox. Check out https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/collaboration/shared-mailboxes/shared-mailboxes

Monday, August 20, 2018 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

The feature cannot be realized directly. As distribution group is a set of account constituting by different users, the distribution group will not be appear in the From box. You can create a shared mailbox as Stephen suggested. After creating it, assign full access to those users in the distribution group so that they can act as the owner of the mailbox. 

Please feel free to post your questions, and I am glad to provide further assistance.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 10:08 AM
  • Hello Stephen and Dawn,

Thanks for the updates.I have read the article Stephen suggested.I would like to ask if the name  of shared mailbox should be same as the name of the distribution group mail.

I will work on this on thursday and get back to you.

Collins

Collins onyegbado

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 5:34 PM
  • Hi Collins,

The name of shared mailbox should not be the same as distribution group. If you give the two a same name, there will be a prompt indicating that the object already exists.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 1:21 AM
  • No wonder! I had done this before creating this thread and i got an error that the two objects already exist. Since i will be using shared mail box,there will still be no need to have distribution group mail for that purpose i want to achieve .

Collins

Collins onyegbado

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 6:07 AM
  • Exactly. So how is everything going? 

If you have solved the problem, please mark the helpful replies as answers, which could make the answer researching in the forum easier. Thanks for you understanding.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Thursday, August 23, 2018 1:45 AM
  • I will resume work next week monday.i have informed my colleague to try the steps.i will definitely mark it as an answer if it works.

Collins

Collins onyegbado

Thursday, August 23, 2018 6:20 AM
  • Hello Dawn,

I have done it.its working.However ,i observed somethings. Since it is the first time Agent has made use of the shared mailbox,the from box:was dispaying the primary mailbox in the recipient's mailbox.so i enabled the option of from in the agent mailbox so that the agent can choose an option of either primary mailbox or shared mailbox.

Dawn,if i add members to the shared folder from admin,is it possible to use cmdlets to create the shared folder as well as enabling the "from box" for all the members ? If there is no option ,i email them the guidlines or organize a seminar for them

Collins

Collins onyegbado

Thursday, August 23, 2018 10:19 AM
  • Hi Collins,

As far as I know, there is no direct way to display the shared mailbox name in the from box with cmdlets unless the user open it. 

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Friday, August 24, 2018 10:10 AM
  • Hello Dawn,

That's not what i meant . you know the from box option is not enabled by default .so i asked there is cmdlet to enable the from box option  for the user .

You know manually ,the user will use "Add shared folder " option to add the shared mailbox option.so i am not asking if there is an automatic way of doing using exchange shell cmdlet.

Collins

Collins onyegbado

Friday, August 24, 2018 10:18 AM
  • Hi Collins,

Sorry for misunderstanding. There is no command used to enable the from box. You can only configure the setting from the client side.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Monday, August 27, 2018 10:13 AM
  • Hello Dawn,

I have noticed that if i send mail from a shared mailbox,the mails are not saved in the folder .is there any way we can fix this issue

Collins

Collins onyegbado

Thursday, August 30, 2018 2:00 PM
  • Hello Dawn,

I was able to use this cmdlet :set-mailbox <mailbox name> -MessageCopyForSendOnBehalfEnabled $True  to resolve the issue of mails not saved in the sent items of the shared mailbox folder.

Collins

Collins onyegbado

Saturday, September 8, 2018 7:02 PM