clean install of xp by using the xp downloads from microsoft please? RRS feed

• Question

• how do i do a clean install of xp by using the xp downloads from microsoft please? i only have the product key and the xp sp3 cd
    Friday, August 31, 2012 6:02 PM

Answers

• Gotcha, you do not have an install CD, you have a service pack CD.  You cannot install the OS from that CD as it only installs the service pack. 

Your gonna have to find an XP installation CD before you can try again.

Don't forget to mark your posts as answered so they drop off the unanswered post filter.

• Marked as answer by SUTEkH007 Saturday, September 1, 2012 3:12 AM
    Saturday, September 1, 2012 3:10 AM

All replies

• Burn CD, place CD in CD tray.   Reboot, follow all on-screen prompts, enter product key when asked.    Here is a guide / walkthrough.

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/sp2installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Don't forget to mark your posts as answered so they drop off the unanswered post filter.

Saturday, September 1, 2012 2:21 AM
  • the "press any key to boot from cd/dvd" doesn't pop up
    Saturday, September 1, 2012 2:45 AM
  • In your bios, what is your boot order.   Might need to set your DVD drive ahead of your HDD so that it gets noticed.

Saturday, September 1, 2012 2:48 AM
  • 1. cd

2.hd

the xp sp3 cd says it needs xp sp 1 or sp2 installed before i can install sp3

Saturday, September 1, 2012 3:03 AM
  • Gotcha, you do not have an install CD, you have a service pack CD.  You cannot install the OS from that CD as it only installs the service pack. 

Your gonna have to find an XP installation CD before you can try again.

• Marked as answer by SUTEkH007 Saturday, September 1, 2012 3:12 AM
    Saturday, September 1, 2012 3:10 AM
  • ok thanks
    Saturday, September 1, 2012 3:12 AM