Copying or moving multiple files results in "file not found" error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have a very annoying problem that started occurring recently on my copy of Vista Home Premium.
    If I copy or move multiple files at once (i.e. in the same operation) after the first file has copied I get an error about not being able to find the next file. However, if I copy or move the files individually I receive no error. The files are still there, I can play them as normal.
    These files are quite large, at just over 1gb each and it's a pain to copy them individually.
    I have tried system restore going back to the last possible point just over a week ago but still have the same problem. Searching around the internet it has been suggested that this could be a problem with shadow copy, and the solution to that was to disable system restore on C: and then re-enable it, but I didn't want to do that till I was sure.

Any ideas?
    Any help much appreciated.
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest that you boot in Safe Mode, and check if the issue occurs. If it persists in Safe Mode, related system services may be corrupt. We may need to repair the system. To boot in Safe Mode, restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up.

If the issue persists in Safe Mode, follow the steps below to repair the system.

How to do an in-place upgrade on Windows Vista

======================================

NOTE: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=256986

1. Click Start, type: REGEGIT in the Start Search bar and then press Enter. Click Continue if it prompts.

2. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

3. Highlight the branch Windows in the left pane.

4. In the right frame we will see the key EditionID. Double click the key.

5. Change the value from "Ultimate" to "Business" and click OK.

6. Exit the Registry Editor.

7. After that registry key is set, put in the Windows Vista installation Media to start the setup process. If you go through the options, it will give an option to upgrade to Vista Ultimate.

8. Select "Upgrade to Vista Ultimate" option and then follow the wizard to complete the in-place upgrade process.

However, if the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, I suggest that you boot in Clean Boot Mode and try to find the root cause.

Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

For more information about this step, please refer to the following KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com//kb/929135

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:05 AM