none
Importing PST files into Exchange 2010

Question

• Hello,

Is there a way of importing PST files into Exchange 2010 without using a command line interface? If not, where can I find the correct syntax with an explanation of how to structure the command?

Many thanks,

Mark

Saturday, May 25, 2013 11:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Both EMC(GUI) and EMS(Exchange PS) can be used for this.

1. Logon with an administrative account with Exchange’s full administrative permissions:

Run the following command first though:

New-ManagementRoleAssignment –Role “Mailbox Import Export” –User “<username>”

This command gives the user permission to import and export mailboxes.

For GUI based Import:

You will need Outlook 64 bit to be installed on a client machine with EMC installed.

Before you can start your task you will need to prepare a client system with the following requirements:

• Installation of 64 Bit Windows Operating System
    • Installation of Powershell 2.0
    • Installation of .NET Framework 3.51
    • Installation of Outlook Office 2010 64 Bit
    • Installation of Exchange Server 2010 management tools
    • Create domain membership for this client

After having installed Outlook 2010 in 64-Bit on the “Ex-/Import-Computer”, you will have two new commands (if you look at the context menu of each mailbox). These are “Export Mailbox” and “Import Mailbox”.

For EMS based Import:

It's straight forward and not much setup is required apart from user permission to import and export mailboxes.

Creating a Network Share for Mailbox Exports in Exchange 2010 SP1

2. Next we need to create the network share that will be used as the file path for the exported PST files.  All that is required here is a network share that the Exchange Trusted Subsystem group has read/write permission to.

Example : \\SERVER01\PSTFiles\

3. This example imports a recovered .pst file on SERVER01 into the user Ayla's primary mailbox. Only data in the .pst file's Inbox is imported. The data is imported into the RecoveredFiles folder of the target mailbox for Ayla.

New-MailboxImportRequest -Mailbox Ayla -FilePath \\SERVER01\PSTFiles\Recovered.pst -TargetRootFolder "RecoveredFiles" -IncludeFolders "#Inbox#"

Use below to import all data from PST to a Subfolder in the new mailbox

New-MailboxImportRequest -Mailbox Ayla -FilePath \\SERVER01\PSTFiles\Recovered.pst -TargetRootFolder "RecoveredFiles"

(NOTE:-  More complex PS commands can be created for Importing multiple mailboxes at a time based on each .pst file name is named after a corresponding user's alias.)

Use 'Get-MailboxImportRequest' to check status of the Import.

Use below to Remove completed imports.

Get-MailboxImportRequest -Status Completed | Remove-MailboxImportRequest

Refer to below MS articles for details.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607310(v=exchg.141).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607368(v=exchg.141).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607315(v=exchg.141).aspx

Satyajit - Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, May 27, 2013 11:19 AM

All replies

• Proposed as answer by Amine.G Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:29 PM
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:29 PM
    1. you can also just use Outlook if the # of PST's are small
    2. Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about your situation, i.e. how many PST's, Mailboxes, reason for import etc?

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Saturday, May 25, 2013 2:26 PM
  • Hello,

Much obliged for the responses.

We are a small charity in London - 15 or so users, 6 networked printers and about 15 workstations plus an SBS 2003 server.

We (or rather I) will be replacing our SBS 2003 server with a new SBS 2011 box in the next few months I have set up a test server (running an evaluation version of SBS 2011 in a VM) on a Server 2008 R2 machine (only running the Hyper-V role). There is then a second VM running Server 2008 R2 (the Premium Add-On-Pack) which will host the Standard version of SQL Server 2008 R2. The network (SBS 2011) software is yet to be installed on the new server. I am reluctant to go down the migration route as if there are problems on the migration we are then left between a rock and a hard place - nowhere to go without having to reinstall (from backup) the SBS 2003 server and start the migration again.

My favoured option is to do a clean install on the new server, then manually recreate the user accounts, transfer the data (documents) setting up mapped network drives and configure the printers. So far, so good. My problem lies in transferring the mailboxes to the new server. We have about 14 'internal' mailboxes and about 6 'External email addressed' mailboxes (some of these mailboxes are in excess of 5 GBS). At the moment we use POP3 to download the emails from these accounts into dummy ''External email addressed' mailboxes. And use the same mailboxes to send mail from. I have worked out a way to emulate this scenario in SBS 2011/Exchange 2010 but I cannot seem to find a way to import all these mailbox PST files into Exchange 2010. I would rather import all of them into Exchange because it offers a centralised single source structure (easier for backup as well) rather than having to import the PST file(s) into each Outlook client on each workstation which seems very cumbersome and long winded.

I know that the import of PST files into Exchange 2010 can be done using command line syntax (Power Shell) but I am really not familiar with Power Shell. I wondered if there is a way to do this through EMS (GUI) or third party tools. Hope this brief explanation helps.

Many thanks,

Mark

• Edited by bookhampc Saturday, May 25, 2013 2:47 PM
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

You may use ExMerge also

Regards from ExchangeOnline | Windows Administrator's Area

Saturday, May 25, 2013 2:51 PM
  • Hi,

Isn't there a 2 GB limit using ExMerge?

Mark

Saturday, May 25, 2013 2:57 PM
  • Mark,

Yes. You are correct

Regards from ExchangeOnline | Windows Administrator's Area

Saturday, May 25, 2013 3:08 PM
  • for the handful of mailboxes you have you can very easily

1. Use Outlook 2003 or greater to export the mailboxes to PST

2. Then use Outlook again to connect to the production server and import each of the PST files.

NOTE: I think the above will suit you well since its a small #of mailboxes however for a point of reference another option would be to our DigiScope product http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp that will allow you to do the en mass export to UNICODE PST files so that you can then import, OR better yet use DigiScope to import/migrate data directly from the offline 2003 EDB into the Production Exchange server.

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Saturday, May 25, 2013 11:07 PM
  • Hi,

Both EMC(GUI) and EMS(Exchange PS) can be used for this.

1. Logon with an administrative account with Exchange’s full administrative permissions:

Run the following command first though:

New-ManagementRoleAssignment –Role “Mailbox Import Export” –User “<username>”

This command gives the user permission to import and export mailboxes.

For GUI based Import:

You will need Outlook 64 bit to be installed on a client machine with EMC installed.

Before you can start your task you will need to prepare a client system with the following requirements:

• Installation of 64 Bit Windows Operating System
    • Installation of Powershell 2.0
    • Installation of .NET Framework 3.51
    • Installation of Outlook Office 2010 64 Bit
    • Installation of Exchange Server 2010 management tools
    • Create domain membership for this client

After having installed Outlook 2010 in 64-Bit on the “Ex-/Import-Computer”, you will have two new commands (if you look at the context menu of each mailbox). These are “Export Mailbox” and “Import Mailbox”.

For EMS based Import:

It's straight forward and not much setup is required apart from user permission to import and export mailboxes.

Creating a Network Share for Mailbox Exports in Exchange 2010 SP1

2. Next we need to create the network share that will be used as the file path for the exported PST files.  All that is required here is a network share that the Exchange Trusted Subsystem group has read/write permission to.

Example : \\SERVER01\PSTFiles\

3. This example imports a recovered .pst file on SERVER01 into the user Ayla's primary mailbox. Only data in the .pst file's Inbox is imported. The data is imported into the RecoveredFiles folder of the target mailbox for Ayla.

New-MailboxImportRequest -Mailbox Ayla -FilePath \\SERVER01\PSTFiles\Recovered.pst -TargetRootFolder "RecoveredFiles" -IncludeFolders "#Inbox#"

Use below to import all data from PST to a Subfolder in the new mailbox

New-MailboxImportRequest -Mailbox Ayla -FilePath \\SERVER01\PSTFiles\Recovered.pst -TargetRootFolder "RecoveredFiles"

(NOTE:-  More complex PS commands can be created for Importing multiple mailboxes at a time based on each .pst file name is named after a corresponding user's alias.)

Use 'Get-MailboxImportRequest' to check status of the Import.

Use below to Remove completed imports.

Get-MailboxImportRequest -Status Completed | Remove-MailboxImportRequest

Refer to below MS articles for details.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607310(v=exchg.141).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607368(v=exchg.141).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607315(v=exchg.141).aspx

Satyajit - Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, May 27, 2013 11:19 AM
  • Use this script to count number of items in PST folders then compare using get-mailboxfolderstatistics afterwards to make sure the counts are correct as a sanity check...

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/Count-number-of-emails-in-61a2748e

**Please don't forget to mark as helpful or answer**

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 9:33 AM