none
Multiple AD Domains DHCP and DNS RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently in the process of setting up a separate domain in another forest. It is intended that all clients in this second domain will utilize a DNS and DHCP from the original domain. We don't have the option of separate DHCP servers for each domain as subnets are shared.

I'm finding when building new machines a forward and ptr record is created in the original domain (logical as this is where dhcp is) then when the machine is joined to domain 2, it removes the forward lookup from domain 1 but leaves the ptr.

In domain 2 all that is created is a forward lookup and not the ptr.

Ideally I'm looking for both forward and ptr records to be automatically created in both domains, however I would settle for just the forward and ptr being created in domain 2.

Not sure where to start with this? Is there a recommended approach?

• Edited by Ldn-SupportGuy Thursday, December 8, 2016 1:29 PM clarification
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 1:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Ldn,

>>In domain 2 all that is created is a forward lookup and not the ptr.

Did you mean that client from domain2 will be only registered A record on DNS server?

If yes, please change Dynamic Updates of forward zones and reverse lookup zone to be None or Nonsecure and secure

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 9, 2016 7:58 AM
  • Hi John, thanks,

I mean when I join a client to domain 2 it only created an A record in Domain 2. Not a ptr record in Domain 2.

In domain 1 all that remains is a ptr record from when the client was in a workgroup - before it was joined to domain 2. When it was joined to domain 2 the forward record appears to be deleted from domain 1 as part of the domain join process.

Friday, December 9, 2016 10:29 AM
  • Hi Ldn,

>>I mean when I join a client to domain 2 it only created an A record in Domain 2. Not a ptr record in Domain 2.

Please right-click A record, and click properties, and check Update associated pointer record.

Please reference picture below for further understanding:

>>When it was joined to domain 2 the forward record appears to be deleted from domain 1 as part of the domain join process.

How much time of scavenging time did you configure?

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 12, 2016 10:15 AM