Unable to start computer RRS feed

• Question

• OK, here is my problem. I have an Acer Aspire 5250 Notebook PC. OS is Windows 7 Home premium. Used for only 3 months. I noticed this problem soon after I bought it but thought it could be something transient. Now I see that the malfunction is permanent

With the computer OFF,when the AC adapter is unplugged, (as for instance to move the computer to another place), the computer does not start, after being re plugged to the AC mains. If the AC adapter is unplugged for whatever reason, the computer cannot be started again. This has happened a few times before but I thought this was a transient problem. Last time was two days ago and it took two whole days to get it working gain. I keep on plugging and unplugging, removing and reinstalling the battery, repeatedly pressing the power button, every hour or so and it takes from one to two days of this awkward manipulating to get it started again. Also please note the following:-

1. The AC adapter is working perfectly and there is nothing wrong with it.
    2. There are no loose connections or loose contacts.
    3. There is nothing wrong with the power button.
    4. The computer is always shut down correctly before the AC adapter is unplugged from the wall terminal.

5. The battery is in very good state and it holds a full charge extremely well. 

6. Once the computer starts, all other functions work without any hitch. 

7. I have performed, in the BOIS menu, a "start up repair" with the result "couldn't detect a problem" and a "windows memory diagnostic" which also came out clean.

Eagerly waiting for diagnosis and remedial suggestions. 

Thank you

melita

Friday, December 30, 2011 9:26 PM

All replies

• It must be under warranty still. Call them and let them repair it.
    Friday, December 30, 2011 11:00 PM
  • Hello Schloicka,

Yes it is still under warranty. They call it 'limited warranty'. Which means the following are not covered by warranty:-

- Cracked LCD
    - Cracked chassis
    - Damaged keyboard
    - Water spots
    - User damage like dropping the notebook or spilling liquids on the notebook
    - Missing pixels on refurbished notebooks (See: LCD Pixel Anomalies - Notebooks and LCD Monitors)
    I had the opportunity of reading customer opinions about Acer and what happens when you send your computer for repair to their workshop. You can visit this web site - http://contacthelp.com/index.php - and type the name of this company in the search box and read 223 comments about them. After reading the comments one has to be very brave or very foolish to think of sending one's computer to their repair shop.

What I read about them is further confirmed by my own experiences. I have called them twice before. The first time, I did receive a partially helpful suggestion by e-mail. The second time they refused all help, unless I pay for it, including the answer to the question, how to find the product ID of this computer which was still under warranty and added some false information as a bonus. I had to e-mail Acer, Taiwan to get this information which they promptly sent. The third time was regarding this problem. Their solution is to send it for repair which I am not willing to do, due to the above reasons. Further, it is extremely likely that I might end up paying for the repair, more than what I paid to buy the computer! This is according to the figures they sent me. Comments in the above website shows, it is the above list of items not covered by warranty that enable them to do this.

This message is a bit long but I felt an adeqate explanation is needed because you are trying to help me.

Thank you and best regards

melita

Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:54 PM
  • That REALLY sounds like a hardware problem, most likely a fault on the main board.

Since you are reluctant to send it for warranty service there’s really only one thing that you can do yourself that is likely to have any chance of fixing the problem. Update the BIOS, there appears to be a firmware update available for your model (released November 28th) on the acer.com web site at:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.06_A_A.zip?acerid=634580410848604580&Step1=Notebook&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire 5250&OS=721&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_6

Or navigate to the updates for your model from: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

None of the firmware updates list your problem, but it’s worth trying.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Hello Mr.Macmurchie,

Thank you for the information.

I downloaded the BIOS update from your first link but I have not used it to  updated my BIOS so far. The second link has the above update ready for downloading but with the following warning:

"Updating an incorrect BIOS may cause harm to your system. We recomend that you only do this after being instructed by one of our Customer Care representatives. By using these updates you agree to accept the possibility of product failure"   

Somewhat discouraging, to say the least!

I had another suggestion. In the BIOS menu, to find "AC power loss restart" and check whether it is "disabled", if so to "enable" it.  The trouble is none of the "AC power loss options" are showing up in my BIOS menu. I have run the only options availble - "Start up repair" and "windows memory diagnostic", as mentioned in my post above. Have you any idea how I can access any "AC power loss options" in my BIOS menu?  

Regards.                                 

melita

Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:57 AM
  • The ac power loss restart option is not avaliable on most laptops, if it is there, it will be in with the power options like wake on mouse/keyboard.

I doubt it would fix your problem by if you want to eliminate all bios settings as the source of the problem, just reset the bios settings to their defaults. The defualts oon portables are the safe tested settins.

I would go ahead and flash the firmware, the scary message is standard disclamer, charge your battery, have the unit plugged in and freshly booted and run the firmware update 99.9% of the time they flash fine or refuse to even try the flash. 

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:01 AM
  • I will reset BIOS to their default settings as you suggest but I want to make sure I don't make any mistakes. Please tell me the procedure I should followto do this.

Thank you

melita
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 8:46 PM
  • It’s hard to give specific instructions for working with bios setup programs since there are so many differences from model to model so you will have to work out some of the details yourself by reading the instructions on the screen as you go.

The Acer manual from their website says to press the F2 key right after power on to enter the bios setup program.

The manual does not have any other information on the specifics of resetting to the defaults. Usually the reset option is listed on the same screen as the option to save your changes. Just read the on screen instructions to see how to move from screen to screen and change values.

Sunday, February 5, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for all the tips and suggestions. I have to postpone doing these things because I am not in a position to lose the computer even for a day, due to important work. I shall differ this for now and continue to use the PC without disconnecting from the main supply. Once I sort out things I will try these and post the results here.

Best regards.

melita

Friday, February 10, 2012 5:17 PM