none
Protecting ForeFront 2010 Server with DPM - Problem with auto-protection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i protect ForeFront 2010 Server with DPM 2010. This works fine.

The problem:

DPM protects SQL with auto-protection: \ISARS and \MSFW

But afer time the ISALOG_xxxxxxxx_FWS_000 and ISALOG_xxxxxxxx_WEB_000 - databases are no longer used by ForeFront. But DPM 2010 wants to back them up.

Is there a way to configure DPM 2010 to handle that in a better way? What SQL-databases do i have to protect?

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 11:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Spsearcher,

I notice your databases start with ISALOG etc etc…I assume you are using Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010.  If that is correct then I might have some insight.

I had the same issue trying to auto protecting the local SQL instance on one of my ISA 2006 servers. It would be fine and then DPM would show errors because some of the ISA databases were discarded by ISA. I would have to manually remove them to clear up the errors. I never found a fix for this. I simply came to a conclusion that I would no longer back up that instance. With my understanding the only thing contained in those databases are ISA log files. You do not need the log files to perform an ISA restore. For a standard ISA restore you only need to reinstall ISA, reconfigure NIC settings, reconfigure any static routes, import any certificates you had and import the XML backup file to get all your ISA settings and rules back. ISA and TMG 2010 are similar and the backup strategy can be the same.

I recommend to stop protecting those databases and just backup the items mentioned above.

You also can schedule a script to export your TMG settings to a folder and have DPM protect that folder.

I hope that was helpful. Also here is a link (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb794757.aspx) to a TechNet article on backing up ISA. I could not find one on TMG 2010.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:58 AM
  • Hi Spsearcher,

DPM doesn't automatically remove protection of Database if its deleted. you have to manually remove protection of deleted databases.
    The reason for that behavior is that if the DB is temporarily down, we don't want to delete it from protection.

for the other question (What SQL-databases do i have to protect?)

you can follow up what Bucha told above.

Hope we helped you

Regards

Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Spsearcher,

I notice your databases start with ISALOG etc etc…I assume you are using Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010.  If that is correct then I might have some insight.

I had the same issue trying to auto protecting the local SQL instance on one of my ISA 2006 servers. It would be fine and then DPM would show errors because some of the ISA databases were discarded by ISA. I would have to manually remove them to clear up the errors. I never found a fix for this. I simply came to a conclusion that I would no longer back up that instance. With my understanding the only thing contained in those databases are ISA log files. You do not need the log files to perform an ISA restore. For a standard ISA restore you only need to reinstall ISA, reconfigure NIC settings, reconfigure any static routes, import any certificates you had and import the XML backup file to get all your ISA settings and rules back. ISA and TMG 2010 are similar and the backup strategy can be the same.

I recommend to stop protecting those databases and just backup the items mentioned above.

You also can schedule a script to export your TMG settings to a folder and have DPM protect that folder.

I hope that was helpful. Also here is a link (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb794757.aspx) to a TechNet article on backing up ISA. I could not find one on TMG 2010.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:58 AM
  • Hi Spsearcher,

DPM doesn't automatically remove protection of Database if its deleted. you have to manually remove protection of deleted databases.
    The reason for that behavior is that if the DB is temporarily down, we don't want to delete it from protection.

for the other question (What SQL-databases do i have to protect?)

you can follow up what Bucha told above.

Hope we helped you

Regards

Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:19 AM
  • That makes no sense. If the database was temporarily removed, when it reappeared it would automatically be picked up. That's the whole point of the "Auto" checkbox. I would understand if DPM didn't delete manually created recover points for automatically discovered databases. But it should automatically remove protection for databases that are no longer found, and when the automatically created protection points for those expire delete them completely. This is the behavior for file systems, if I delete a directory DPM doesn't complain, it just moves on with life. Why can't Databases be the same, or at least have the option?!
    Monday, June 13, 2011 6:43 PM
  • That makes no sense. If the database was temporarily removed, when it reappeared it would automatically be picked up. That's the whole point of the "Auto" checkbox. I would understand if DPM didn't delete manually created recover points for automatically discovered databases. But it should automatically remove protection for databases that are no longer found, and when the automatically created protection points for those expire delete them completely. This is the behavior for file systems, if I delete a directory DPM doesn't complain, it just moves on with life. Why can't Databases be the same, or at least have the option?!

Hello,

Ok, i found the reason why DPM give me so much errors with SQL databases.

Perhaps it will be fixed up in the next version/patch ?

Did DPM team can give us more informations ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

http://blog.simaju.fr - Partage de connaissances et retour d'expériences.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:00 AM