none
Problems when installing DPM 2010 on a remote clustered SQL 2008 Server instance RRS feed

• Question

• I want to install my new DPM 2010 server with its database placed on a remote SQL 2008 Server (SP1) instance. However, it's a clustered instance (placed on Windows Server 2008 R2) and it seems to be some source of problems for the DPM installer. I keep receiving the following error:

DPM Setup cannot query the SQL Server Reporting Services configuration.
    Verify that the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service is running,
    and that your SQL Server Reporting Services installation is not corrupt.
    ID: 898

I've manually installed prerequisite files on both nodes of the cluster, according to this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399781.aspx I wasn't sure, however, whether I should install the SIS instance on the nodes.

The problem may have come from the Reporting Services configuration. The DPM installer has been given the VCO name to connect to. However, there is no Reporting Services installed on the VCO as those services aren't cluster aware and clustering them is not supported. The Reporting Services are, however, present - they are installed locally on both nodes in a "scale-out mode", their databases placed on the clustered instance (VCO). They seem to be configured correctly and they answer under corresponding URLs.

Here are some entries I've found in a DPM installer log:

*** Error : DPM Setup has detected that the DPM database files are missing from the selected instance of SQL Server 2008.Make sure that the correct database files are attached to the selected instance of SQL Server and then install DPM 2010 again.

*** Error : Setup has detected that the installation of Reporting Services is not correctly configured or no instance of Reporting Services is linked to MSSQLSERVER of SQL Server.1)To use the local dedicated MSSQLSERVER instance with DPM, uninstall SQL Server and run setup again.
    2)To use the option of installing DPM with an existing instance of SQL Server, make sure that the Reporting Services instance is also installed and linked correctly. For details, refer to DPM Setup Help.

Is it possible to place the DPM 2010 db on a clustered SQL instance? I'd appreciate any help.

Regards

Monday, June 7, 2010 9:41 AM

Answers

• The DPM database cannot be located on a Cluster, the reporting Services database cannot be clustered and DPM must be able to be access the RS during and after setup which is not possible in a cluster.
    Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 11:49 PM