Windows 8.1 client reports as "Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.3 (Tablet Edition)" RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there,

I just brought our first Windows 8.1 client into our  ConfigMgr 2012-R2 infrastructure and noticed that the Operating System and Name client attribute gets populated with Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.3 (Tablet Edition).

My question is, why does it also include "Tablet Edition" ? I must mention that because we do not have a Server 2012-R2 yet, the client is running in my local VMWare Workstation.

I would have expected that the client only reports "Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.3" like it did for previous versions. I do not have an issue with adding a % within our queries, but am just interested where the Tablet Edition comes from.

Thanks

Alex

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or MVPs.

Twitter: @alexverboon | Blog: Anything About IT

Friday, February 21, 2014 4:29 PM

All replies

• what version of configmgr client is installed on your Windows 8.1 client ?

Step by Step Configuration Manager Guides > 2012 Guides | 2007 Guides | I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

Friday, February 21, 2014 7:08 PM
  • Hey there,

I just brought our first Windows 8.1 client into our  ConfigMgr 2012-R2 infrastructure and noticed that the Operating System and Name client attribute gets populated with Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.3 (Tablet Edition).

My question is, why does it also include "Tablet Edition" ? I must mention that because we do not have a Server 2012-R2 yet, the client is running in my local VMWare Workstation.

I would have expected that the client only reports "Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.3" like it did for previous versions. I do not have an issue with adding a % within our queries, but am just interested where the Tablet Edition comes from.

In my environment, Win8.0 appears as 6.2 Tablet Edition, when it's installed on a touch-capable device (or convertible laptop with a digitizer)
    You're seeing this in the Device/Properties display? Or in some reports? Or in the "Device Explorer" (HINV data)?
    [I'm not in the office at the moment, so can't verify where mine says that, but I know it's there]

From memory we saw something rather similar for Win7Enterprise.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Saturday, February 22, 2014 7:25 AM
    Saturday, February 22, 2014 7:23 AM
  • Hi Nial,

The client version installed is 5.00.7958.11.01

I see this in the Device properties within the Console, but the same value is also stored in the database when i run Get-CMDevice -Name testwin81client the DeviceOS property shows as "Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.3 (Tablet Edition)"

Again, not an issue if this is by design, then we just have to add a % when creating queries. However it woould be interesting to understand what specific criteria is determined by Windows to report it like that.

Alex

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or MVPs.

Sunday, February 23, 2014 3:12 PM
  • What output do

(Get-WmiObject Win32_OperatingSystem).Caption

(Get-WmiObjectWin32_OperatingSystem).Name

generate?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Sunday, February 23, 2014 7:46 PM
  • It's by design and has been this way with previous operating systems going back to Windows XP.

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    If you've found a bug or want the product worked differently, share your feedback.
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

Sunday, February 23, 2014 7:53 PM
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise:c:\windows\device\harddisk0\partition1

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:58 PM