none
KB975759 required but does not exist?

Question

• I am trying to install DPM 2010 RC on my Server 2008 x64 Sp1 server  I receive the error that Hotfix 975759 is required.  When I go to the link for the hotfix it mentions server 2008 but the download section only has server 2003.  I figured it was a typo and downloaded the last x64 hotfix but it will not install get error not enought storage is avalailable to process this command?  Server has 32 GB of Ram and 41GB free on C drive  628 on 2nd drive.  Server is not used for anything else?

One other oddity in the releae notes it says

When you install the protection agent on Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008, DPM 2010 will install KB 975759 on the computer. You must have licensed version of Windows to install this update.

So 2 questions why if the KB is part of the install packlage does it not install it when doing the original install and 2 I installed the agent on my server and it still shows the hotfix is missing so possibly 2 issues? 

Friday, May 14, 2010 3:00 PM

Answers

• This is a tricky one.  The code tree for Windows 2008 is the same for Vista, so they use only "Vista" for the product.  This is the fix you need to install.

Download the Vista x64 version and it will install on your 2008 box and allow you to continue the installation.

Chris - MS This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, May 14, 2010 4:18 PM

All replies

• It may be possible that you are not opening the URL on the correct server.  The downloads now download the architcture version of the OS that you use to connect; double check that please.

Also I would not try to install the release candidate.  I would install the Evaluation version of anything and then upgrade once the product becomes generally available.

Friday, May 14, 2010 3:59 PM
  • This is a tricky one.  The code tree for Windows 2008 is the same for Vista, so they use only "Vista" for the product.  This is the fix you need to install.

Download the Vista x64 version and it will install on your 2008 box and allow you to continue the installation.

Chris - MS This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, May 14, 2010 4:18 PM
  • That did the trick if you look at the page they have server 2003 in 20+ languages but don't mention server 2008 at all?

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=975759&kbln=en-us

Thanks again

Friday, May 14, 2010 4:22 PM
  • One other thing to consider here is that in the RTM bits, this fix is included so you won't have to worry about which one to pull down since it is only needed for Windows 2008 (and not R2) and we will only install on x64.  The only possible version of the fix is already included with the media. 
    Thanks, Chris - [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, May 14, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Glad it is fixed always frustrating when  patch or hotfix is required but not included.  I know 99.9% of the systems people have access to the Internet but my servers are all on a private network so I have to download, burn to cd/dvd virus scan then install makes for a slow process. Also wish that DPM 2010 would just remove the old DPM client on protected systems rahte than having to unistall.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 4:42 PM
  • > Also wish that DPM 2010 would just remove the old DPM client on protected systems rahte than having to unistall.

My experience shows that a DPM 2010 RC Protection Agent can be in-place upgraded to the DPM 2010 RTM* version without first having to uninstall the former. All this can be centrally managed from the DPM console / Management Tab.

Next to each protected computers with protected agent, the Agent Status and Agent Updates columns will show "Needs updating" and "Update Available" respectively.

I have so far success with updating about 40% of the protected computers with DPM 2010 RC agent without having to uninstall it manually using this method. Also, reboot of the protected machine was not needed.

For the rest, still checking if it is required to first uninstall the RC agent before DPM 2010 RTM version can be successfully installed.

Note that the DPM 2010 RC agent version is 3.0.7558.0 whereas RTM is 3.0.7696.0.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

* or Evaluation version

TechNet Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com
    Friday, May 21, 2010 9:11 AM
  • hello all.

I decided today to upgrade my DPM 07 to DPM 10 and I am facing the same problem with the hotfix. I downloaded the hotfix for Vista but I have a message that this update does not apply to my system.

The systems is an WS2008 R2 x64 and this is the only thing that doesn't let me continue with the upgrade.

Thank you in advance

Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:42 AM
  • ignore my last post...

the hotfix for WS2008 is in the DPM2010 dvd

Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:03 AM
  • We are using the latest version of DPM on windows 2008 32 bit version. Looks like we dont have the hotfix for 32 bit. We tried installing the Vista equivalent .

Windows6.0-KB975759-x86.

but the server says the update is not applicable. How do we get the hotfix?
    Thursday, June 7, 2018 1:39 PM