Run windows won't open Start Menu (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu) RRS feed

• Question

• I want to open the Start Menu folder to remove some shortcuts I had created there (because back then, I wanted them to appear in my Start Menu. Now I don't.) And this has led me to this rather peculiar observation:

1. I can open the Start Menu folder not only for the current user but also for "All Users" by click the Start button -> right clicking "All Programs" and then selecting either from the Menu that  comes up.
    2. However, I cannot open the Start Menu folder if I do Windows+R on the keyboard to open the Run window -> type in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" -> hit Enter key. When I press enter, the computer presented the UAC prompted asking me if I wanted to open the Airdroid application installed on my computer. Since this was unusual, I uninstalled Airdroid and ever since, when I paste "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" and hit enter in the Run window, it doesn't do anything...it simply returns me to Run window again.

Why is this happening? Why doesn't the Run window open the Start Menu folder? Is this some kind of Trojan activity?

I also notice that for the past 2-3 days, since I run the last Microsoft Security Essentials scan, my computer has been rather laggy in its performance...despite the fact that the CPU usage and the Memory usage were only around the 20% mark. I remember that I had assigned Processor Affinity for some processes that time (including the MSE because I thought it's scan may be causing the system to lag). But since then, I have reverted the Processor Affinity to "All Processors". Still, the computer isn't working anywhere near as fast it used to be. Also, since then, the Windows Explorer process has crashed a few times which is a new for me...I have been using my Windows 7 for the last 4 months but this are the first instances when I've had Windows Explorer crashes.

Any ideas?

Saturday, March 26, 2016 2:17 PM

Answers

• Hi beck2ham,

“Why doesn't the Run window open the Start Menu folder?”

“When I press enter, the computer presented the UAC prompted asking me if I wanted to open the Airdroid application installed on my computer.”

It seems that the system components have been changed and corrupted, we could refer to ZigZag3143x’s suggestion to scan and restore system components using “sfc /scannow” command.

If the issue persists, I suggest to execute a system restore if it is possible, this way can restore your system to a previous healthy state which can resolve present problems.

Also, for crash issue, we could try to boot into clean mode to have a test.

How to perform a clean boot mode

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

if the issue is gone in clean boot mode, it should be caused by 3<sup>rd</sup> party applications. we could try dichotomy to find the culprit.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 28, 2016 10:37 AM

All replies

• For 1 &2 I would run a system file check

For the MSE issue you  may be looking at the cpu & Ram but MSE is very HD intensive when scanning.  What is the HD doing at that time?

Please read this wiki to find out how to find and upload your event viewer logs

Please run a system file check (SFC) & DISM  if you are on win 8 or higher

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Saturday, March 26, 2016 2:59 PM
  • Hi beck2ham,

“Why doesn't the Run window open the Start Menu folder?”

“When I press enter, the computer presented the UAC prompted asking me if I wanted to open the Airdroid application installed on my computer.”

It seems that the system components have been changed and corrupted, we could refer to ZigZag3143x’s suggestion to scan and restore system components using “sfc /scannow” command.

If the issue persists, I suggest to execute a system restore if it is possible, this way can restore your system to a previous healthy state which can resolve present problems.

Also, for crash issue, we could try to boot into clean mode to have a test.

How to perform a clean boot mode

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

if the issue is gone in clean boot mode, it should be caused by 3<sup>rd</sup> party applications. we could try dichotomy to find the culprit.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 28, 2016 10:37 AM