Unable to install Skype for Business 2016 with Office Standard 2016 installed RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft Office Standard 2016 does not include Skype for Business 2016, but my customer is licensed for both "Microsoft Office Standard 2016" AND "Microsoft Office 365 Enterprise E1", and E1 does include Skype for Business 2016; however, when attempting to install Skype for Business 2016 it errors out with the following message:

Is there a workaround? 

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi MaatTech,

"Microsoft Office Standard 2016" AND "Microsoft Office 365 Enterprise E1" are two different softwares which can be installed on or the other. I suggest to use the Office 365 if you need Skype since other Office application is also integrated in Office 365.

Regards,

CD Technologies

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 3:58 AM
  • Hi MaatTech,

In your scenario, the Office Standard 2016 is the MSI version installation while the Skype for Business 2016 is the click-to-run version application. It is not supported to install two products together that have the same version but use different installation technologies.

Generally, the Microsoft Office 365 Enterprise E1 plan doesn't include Office Applications:

https://products.office.com/en-us/business/compare-more-office-365-for-business-plans

I want to confirm if you purchased an click-to-run version Office applications in your environment such as Office 365 ProPlus. If yes, you can uninstall the MSI version of Office Standard 2016 and install Office 365 ProPlus instead.

If you want to keep using Office Standard 2016, we need to install the MSI version of Skype for Business 2016. You can try the free Skype for Business 2016 Basic version. It is a free download that has a minimum set of features: instant messaging (IM), audio and video calls, online meetings, availability (presence) information, and sharing capabilities.

Anything unclear about the Office version, feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 6:15 AM
  • Same problem, but with Office 2019 Standard and Skype for Business 2016. Where can I get the MSI installation files for Skype for Business 2016 to overcome the MSI-vs-click-to-run conflict? No, we do not want Office 2019 Pro Plus, and we cannot use retail Office 2019 due to the Live account nonsense; we need Office 2019 Standard and Skype. Or is there such a thing as Skype for Business 2019 with an MSI installer?
    Monday, March 11, 2019 7:31 PM
  • Hi Bryan,

We had similar issues here. We had a deployment for Skype Retail that worked just fine, but installing another language resulted in an error. the installer we used was setupskypeforbusinessentryretail.x64.nl-nl_.exe (16.0.7967.1318) but it installs the version corresponding the already installed office standard VL (now 16.0.10350.20019)
    Today i found that when i use "rescource tuner" to edit a string (188) i can replace nl-nl 1043 to any other locale and it will download and install in the new language (eventough the bootstrapper stays in dutch).  If you can't find any old installers, i can send you a copy.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:50 PM