Show Margin Lines in Word 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to show the margin lines in Word 2016 the way they showed in earlier renditions of the program?  I'd prefer not to keep gridlines on or rely on the ruler.  I use the margin lines to format documents which use a lot of text boxes, and it's imperative that the edges of the text boxes align with the edge of the margin.  
    Tuesday, July 31, 2018 6:04 PM

Answers

• Does Margin Line you said mean the "old" text boundaries option in previous versions of Word? Can you tell me detailed version information of Word 2016 you use currently. You can refer to About Office: What version of Office am I using? to get Product Information of Office. Currently, this option is available in the latest Office 365 and Office 2016, but there are some difference from the "old" text boundaries.
    To enable the option, open a Word document, click File>Options to open Word Options, click Advanced Tab, under Show document content group, select  Show text boundaries option.

We've been told that the display of text boundaries in Word 2013 (and I assume 2016 as well) is the result of the new layout engine, that the old text boundaries were really a "mistake" and should not have been relied upon. Please visit  Bring back "classic" text boundaries on uservoice.com and add your vote. The issue is already marked as "under review" by Microsoft, but the more votes it gets, the more likely it is to be scheduled for a return to the old behavior.

If you have any question about Office, please feel free to let me know.
    Best Regards,
    Herb Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Microsoft Team

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 9:54 AM

All replies

• Does Margin Line you said mean the "old" text boundaries option in previous versions of Word? Can you tell me detailed version information of Word 2016 you use currently. You can refer to About Office: What version of Office am I using? to get Product Information of Office. Currently, this option is available in the latest Office 365 and Office 2016, but there are some difference from the "old" text boundaries.
    To enable the option, open a Word document, click File>Options to open Word Options, click Advanced Tab, under Show document content group, select  Show text boundaries option.

We've been told that the display of text boundaries in Word 2013 (and I assume 2016 as well) is the result of the new layout engine, that the old text boundaries were really a "mistake" and should not have been relied upon. Please visit  Bring back "classic" text boundaries on uservoice.com and add your vote. The issue is already marked as "under review" by Microsoft, but the more votes it gets, the more likely it is to be scheduled for a return to the old behavior.

If you have any question about Office, please feel free to let me know.
    Best Regards,
    Herb Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Microsoft Team

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 9:54 AM
  • Hello,

Any update here? Have you solved the problem? Is my answer helpful to you?

I'm looking forward to your response. If you have any additions, or update, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Herb Gu

Microsoft Team

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 1:42 AM