none
KMS client cannot find KMS Host RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys, kms noob here so go easy,

I'm trying to set up a KMS system in an environment I've just walked into, so far I've installed the host, KMS host key, and have found about 26 computers running on the workgroup using VAMT 2.0.
    All computers have installed MAK keys.  I am asked to switch all machines over to KMS today, but before I do that, is there anything I need to do last second?  My count on KMS is still 0 computers, through the cmd, but using VAMT I can see more than 25, when I try and activate a computer by KMS it gives me an error "The Software Licensing Service reported that the computer could not be activated. No Key Management Service (KMS) could be contacted"  I am wondering, when I switch all 25 computers over to a KMS key and then attempt to KMS activate them all, will this error go away?  I do not want to switch over all 25 keys and lose the MAK keys if the KMS system isn't configured properly.  I can see the network information and port and my domain through the KMS so it seems to be working fine. Also, do I need a group policy setting to allow the KMS to reach a client, or should this already be configured? I have only changed the firewall settings on the KMS Host, which is running Windows 7.

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

Monday, January 17, 2011 11:07 PM

Answers

• Hello Alienwalker,

What is the exact error message and string that you are getting?   Are they all on the same network?

How many DNS servers?

Use nslookup from the KMS client machine that is failing to check if DNS is reporting the KMS host name

nslookup -type=srv _vlmcs._tcp

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:28 PM

All replies

• Also,

My organization mostly use laptops, and they take them offsite, my question is if this will be a problem with KMS, or do they just need to be connected to the server atleast once a month or so to check in?

Many thanks.

Monday, January 17, 2011 11:39 PM
  • Helllo Alienwalker,

Have you setup a KMS host to activate the KMS clients already? You should setup the KMS host machine and make sure it is working.  The clients need to contact the KMS host to be able to activate.  VAMT should show the KMS host machine as well as the MAK clients or KMS clients

A KMS clients activates for 180 days, so if they are on the network once a month they will renew their 180 activation grace period at that time. 

Starting page for documentation:

Springboard Volume Activation link

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd197314.aspx

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Hi Darrell,

Yes I've set the KMS Host up and I can see it in VAMT, with the supplied KMS Host key.

I have gotten a few computers to connect to the KMS Host and ask for a key, but as I havent connected all 25 computers to the Host it wont update it yet.  My only problem now is that some computers (The ones with Admin rights) Give me an error that there arent enough PCs, fair enough.  but all the other computers WITHOUT Admin rights Give me a completely different error, saying no KMS could not be contacted.  Is this a Windows Firewall problem? Do I have to create a group policy for my domain?  Any help welcomed!

Alienwalker.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:45 AM
  • Hello Alienwalker,

What is the exact error message and string that you are getting?   Are they all on the same network?

How many DNS servers?

Use nslookup from the KMS client machine that is failing to check if DNS is reporting the KMS host name

nslookup -type=srv _vlmcs._tcp

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:28 PM
  • Hey Darrell.  
    The DNS seems to be reporting the KMS host properly, I can see it on my domain.  I just need some info on adding a group policy setting for the KMS, so the clients don't reject the requests.  At the moment the error is "The software licensing service reported that the computer could not be activated. No Key management service (KMS) could be contacted) But when I KMS activate on PCs with Admin rights to the network it gives me a different error; "The count reported by your key management service (KMS) is insufficient" This is the error Im trying to get, until I connect all 25 PCs. I'm using VAMT 2.0 by the way and I've manually pointed the clients to the Host.  Only computers with admin rights to the network are able to be activated.

Alienwalker

Monday, January 24, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Hello Darrel,

I'm having the same problem in my company.

When I used the nslookup, it shows some servers that are not KMS host, and not show my actual ad unique KMS host.

What I have to do to fix it?

Tnhank you!

Friday, August 3, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Hello,

first check the servers reported as KMS hosts,

Open an elevated CMD prompt and run slmgr /dlv on those machines to make sure that a KMS host key was not installed by accident.

If they are not KMS host, then the DNS server records will need to be removed for those servers.

Make sure you actual KMS host can write the DNS record to the DNS server

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

Sunday, August 5, 2012 10:43 PM