none
Windows 7 Enterprise machines won't boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Over the past 2 weeks I have had about 7 laptops refuse to boot and can only get to the recovery console after entering the bitlocker key twice. Here are the system details:

Panasonic Toughbook CF-C2 with SSD.

Win 7E sp1

Joined to a domain

Patches managed with MEDC.

All 7 machines are identical in their configuration. On three separate days, I would come in to find three machines not booting.

From recovery console, I have gone back to previous restore points - TOTAL FAILURE

Suspecting a failed update, MEDC tells me the last patch was KB4103718 with an error code of: -2145124329

From there, I have found many references to using DISM to remove a patch via the recovery console. Unfortunately in Win7, it does not allow me to do so.

I have reimaged these machines from an image taken from the same model as above that has not crashed. But many have crashed again, and I can't keep reimaging these laptops.

We are out of ideas here. What can we do to get these machines going?

Thanks.

Rich.

Monday, June 11, 2018 12:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Rich,

Did you mean that you have re-imaged these machine, which still get crash? If it can't boot, what is the error message, could you please provide a screen shot? 

Did the machine fail to boot up after you installed the patch? Did it happen on all the machine which receive these patches?

You can uninstall the kb using the command: wusa /uninstall /kb:<kb number>

Not sure that if it is related to Bitlocker, it is suggested that you should disable it firstly and then re-image it.

manage-bde -protectors -disable c:

In addition, before the problem happen, what have you done to these machine, except installing these updates?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 5:19 AM
  • If you have any problems, please feel free to let me know.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 9:22 AM