Syncing up to 3 years of emails! Help me solve this please RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am setting up my new laptop and had to upgrade from outlook 2013 to 2016.

With Outlook 2016, I am missing many historical emails over the past 6 months, I suspect this is because of the sync settings which must be responsible for 2014 dated emails appearing in my inbox !!!

I receive a heap of emails daily so if Outlook is trying to sync my inbox with all the emails I have received since 2014, that's crazy!

How can I limit the sync to the past 6 months?

Thursday, July 20, 2017 1:54 AM

All replies

• Which mail account type are you using? Exchange, IMAP or POP3?

For Exchange and IMAP, you can adjust the sync slider by opening the account via;
    File-> Account Settings-> double click on your account.

For POP3, you can move the emails to another folder on the server so that they won't be downloaded.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:56 AM
  • Hi,

As Roady said, you can set the Sync Slider for your account in Account Settings.

For Exchange account: 

For IMAP account:

Anything unclear in your side, feel free to let us know :)

Best Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 21, 2017 9:13 AM
  • Problem solved, thanks guys

It was IMAP and the default setting was to sync/ mail to keep offline = ALL !!!!

No wonder it kept failing

Thanks again

Friday, July 21, 2017 11:18 AM
  • Problem solved, thanks guys

It was IMAP and the default setting was to sync/ mail to keep offline = ALL !!!!

No wonder it kept failing

Thanks again

Thanks for your update. If our suggestions are helpful, please remember to mark the replies as answer to close the thread.

Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding :)

Best Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 1:33 AM