none
DNS error SBS 2008, error 1717 the interface is unknown

General discussion

• after rebooting the SBS 2008 Server

DNS does not start. get error 1717: the interface is unknown.

also noticed Event Viewer does not open either

any suggestions would be great.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:41 PM

All replies

• Maybe too obvious, but did you make any changes or reconfiguration with network cards ?

Any other broader catagory of changes may also apply.

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:28 PM
  • Any updates on this?  We have the exact same issue on one of our DNS servers. 
    Friday, March 15, 2013 4:04 PM
  • Any updates on this?  We have the exact same issue on one of our DNS servers. 

It was two years ago!!!
    Friday, March 15, 2013 6:21 PM
  • You should probably start your own or at least provide some details about your specifics. If yours is exact symptoms I'd be surprised.

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Had this problem today with a 2008R2 DC after a power failure overnight.

Could not start windows event log service (access denied) or DNS Server Service (1717: the interface is unknown)

After looking at many suggestions on the Web that suggest either a permissions problems on "C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs" or the Default Domain Controller GPO being corrupt (didn't make sense as our other 7 DCs were all working fine)

Found this suggestion, which solved the problem for us: 

The "C:\Windows\System32\Winevt\Logs" folder had the read only option checked. Unchecked the option and applied to all subfolders and files. Event Viewer and DNS now starting and working fine.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:24 AM
  • Cheers Mate, you just saved my job !!!

I moved the files in the log directory to another drive to create space on the bootdisk of the server.
    it looks like the log files aren't realy log files......

after putting them back the server booted like usual.

Thanks again.

Mike

Friday, February 03, 2017 9:59 PM
  • yes its worked for me as well Thanks
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:17 AM