New computers showing in WSUS but not reporting! RRS feed

• Question

• This is a frustrating issue that i would love to get an answer too.

We are installing new PCs into our domain and i have tried everything i can find but the only thing that works is leaving them until the next morning and all is well. Without going into to much detail i am convinced its the WSUS server that will not let the clients report until it has done something! now this something that it is doing i would love to know what it is and get control so i can force it when i want not when it wants. I have read that the WSUS server has a default off 22 hour update which can be changed but where do you change it. So in summary we build machines in the morning and the next day they will have reported. We have tried deleteting pc account in wsus, all wuauclt commands, deleting reg settings on client and so on.

Friday, January 15, 2016 2:57 PM

Answers

• WSUS is very "lazy". Allow for longer time and let it work for you.

Otherwise look at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708627(v=ws.10).aspx

M.

Friday, January 15, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Hi Anne

Thanks for your reply but I have already tried this, as I said before the problem does not appear to be at the client it seems to be with the server!

Anyone please...

You are right this does relate to the server and not the client. This is just the way WSUS works and has always worked. I also find that the specification of the WSUS server can play a role in this, I use virtualised WSUS server and they all have 4 CPU and at least 4GB of memory. New clients will get the updates they need so I am not seeing why this is an issue???

WSUS rarely does anything "straight away." Even on Patch Tuesday when you synchronise updates, after the synchronisation is finished internal processes are run which add the updates to it's catalogue and this can take a while. In my exprience up to 3 hours can pass before all the updates are available to the clients for installation.

If for some reason you find this unacceptable then perhaps you should look into 3rd party solutions which may provide more up to date information.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:41 PM

All replies

• WSUS is very "lazy". Allow for longer time and let it work for you.

Otherwise look at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708627(v=ws.10).aspx

M.

Friday, January 15, 2016 3:05 PM
  • This is exactly what I am talking about "WSUS is lazy" thanks for the reply but as I sais its not the clients and I have already tried all you suggested. The problem lies with the WSUS server, there must be someone out there who knows how wsus server works and knows how to shorten the refresh window. I mean once every 24 hours is not lazy its in a coma!!  Over the last few years I have rum into this problem and just excepted it but this time I don't have the time or patience to build machines and have to wait till the next morning for wsus server to refresh its lazy butt.

Hope someone out there can help.

Friday, January 15, 2016 4:40 PM
  • Hi Binzaboy,

> I have read that the WSUS server has a default off 22 hour update which can be changed but where do you change it.

We may change the update interval via GPO.

Open GPO edit, expand: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Automatic Updates detection frequency, then you may configure the interval you want (by default, it is 22 hours):

After configuring the GPO, run gpupdate/ force on client to apply the GPO.

However, it is not recommended to decrease the fresh interval, since it will increase the work load of WSUS server. If you want to check updates for clients, you may manually check for update on client and check if the WSUS server have new report.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 18, 2016 7:50 AM
  • Hi Anne

Thanks for your reply but I have already tried this, as I said before the problem does not appear to be at the client it seems to be with the server!

Anyone please...

Monday, January 18, 2016 1:16 PM
  • Hi Binzaboy,

If I misunderstood, feel free to correct me. Based on my understanding, the new joined computer didn't report to WSUS server at once, it will report to WSUS server until the next morning, so we consider that it may related with the server fresh interval.

But according to your last reply, you think the issue may be with the server, could you let me learn more about this point?

Beside, have you check if we manually check for update on client side, the WSUS server will receive report?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 9:54 AM
  • Hi Anne

Anyone please...

You are right this does relate to the server and not the client. This is just the way WSUS works and has always worked. I also find that the specification of the WSUS server can play a role in this, I use virtualised WSUS server and they all have 4 CPU and at least 4GB of memory. New clients will get the updates they need so I am not seeing why this is an issue???

WSUS rarely does anything "straight away." Even on Patch Tuesday when you synchronise updates, after the synchronisation is finished internal processes are run which add the updates to it's catalogue and this can take a while. In my exprience up to 3 hours can pass before all the updates are available to the clients for installation.

If for some reason you find this unacceptable then perhaps you should look into 3rd party solutions which may provide more up to date information.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:41 PM