none
W10 1709 RemoteApp - Pop-ups hidden behind main window

Question

• Hi, I've this issue after migration of RDS server from 2012 R2 to 2016 and client have Windows 10 1709 but with Windows 10 1703 no issue.

Any suggestions?

Thursday, November 16, 2017 9:28 PM

Answers

• Here you go ..

https://pc-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/steve_purplec_com_au/Ec1oJp_5rlxDqA8g6zTjW_UB9mNVEbaz1SqAk5iLcpD0Qw?e=McLWom

Finally Acknowledged - 

We have found out that it is a known issue and our internal team is working on it.

Cause :

========================================================================================================================================================================

EVENT_SYSTEM_FOREGROUND comes too soon on the server. We end up sending the incorrect z-order to the client because in some scenarios the z-order calculation has not completed before we send it. A race condition exists in RemoteApp when a window is activated resulting in the activated window opening behind the previous foreground window. After the RemoteApp widow is activated, RdpShell.exe checks the server z-order before win32k.sys finishes computing the new z-order. When this condition occurs, Rdpshell.exe sends the wrong z-order instructions to mstsc.exe on the client. This fix introduces timer code to cause RdpShell.exe to wait for win32k.sys to finish computing the z-order before sending the new z-order to the client.

========================================================================================================================================================================

The fix is likely to get released by March or April.

I will provide you with the update, as and when if there is any.

• Proposed as answer by Steve R Morris Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:30 AM
    • Edited by Steve R Morris Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by fileman Wednesday, February 28, 2018 8:22 AM
    Saturday, February 24, 2018 11:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the build version of the Windows 1709 system? If it's not the latest, please fully patch the system to see whether the issue persists.

If the issue persists, please describe the exact behavior that users are seeing.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 17, 2017 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

system build 16299.64 and no other update available.

When the user opens a Remotepp, the main window of the app opens without any problems, from this one opens a second window without problems, but when a third modal window opens, initially appears in the foreground but shortly thereafter returns under the second window that invoked her

I hope I explained clearly, if it can be useful I have the PSR registration.

Friday, November 17, 2017 9:49 AM
  • Hi,

We have the same issue. The remote app is working fine, but some users (could be depending on the Os build), report this. The server environment is completely in Azure and running Windows server 2016. The 1 test user with the fall creator update already installed also had this issue.

I have tried all the suggestions below, but some are applicable on the environment en some are just not working

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/a019c79e-6ccf-4537-976f-675d5da7c02c/remoteapp-popups-hidden-behind-main-window?forum=winserverTS

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/2bdb5802-bd6f-440d-be30-8dc9e4309124/published-application-popups-behind-main-window?forum=winserverTS&forum=winserverTS

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2964832/remoteapp-program-pop-up-window-is-hidden-in-windows

Friday, November 17, 2017 11:27 AM
  • Ditto. And, it's an absolute nightmare when trying to use Outlook published as a RemoteApp program. Every single email, task, contact, etc. (Inspector) window drops behind the main Outlook (Explorer) window. It's very frustrating to say the least. Does anyone at Microsoft actually test this stuff in the "real world" before they release it to the public?
    Friday, November 17, 2017 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

My apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I would suggest open a case with Microsoft where more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

If the issue would be proved as system flaw, the consulting fee should be refund.

Best Regards,

Amy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 20, 2017 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

As a potential temporary workaround, please Disable Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp group policy setting on the RD Session Host server(s) and test to see if the issues goes away.  The setting is located under Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Remote Desktop Session Host Environment\

Thanks.

-TP

• Marked as answer by fileman Monday, November 20, 2017 9:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by fileman Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:18 AM
    Monday, November 20, 2017 9:10 AM
  • Hi,

I've tried to disable RemoteFX advanced graphics before writing the post, but for my error a filter was active that excluded the host.

Thanks!

• Edited by fileman Monday, November 20, 2017 9:23 AM
    Monday, November 20, 2017 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

we have exactly the same problem with our custom applications. Is there any update from Microsoft?

We installed the latest Cumulative Update KB4054517, but it didn't bring any progress.

Thanks!

Friday, December 15, 2017 12:38 PM
  • we are also having this issue since build 1709, build 1703 works fine.

is there a fix?

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:34 PM
  • I am experiencing this same issue on 1709 with 2016 RDS server.

Any known fixes?

I have disabled RemoteFX advanced graphics on the server already. 

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 4:12 PM
  • We've also tried this at my company.  We have Windows 2012R2 RDS Session Hosts deploying Dynamics AX 2012R2.  Windows 7 clients do not experience the issue, but our Windows 10 versions do.

Sub-windows launched from the main app are appearing behind the main windows, or worse yet, the new windows remain on top visually, but the main window behind is the active window according to the mouse.

All Windows 10 clients are running the fall creator's update, 16299.125 . 

I created a new HyperV VM running Windows 2012R2 and Windows 2016, installed and deployed via RemoteApp Dynamics, and the issue persists.

On each new VM, 2012R2 and 2016, I used the suggestion of setting to disable via local GP "Use Advanced RemoteFX for RemoteApp" and the application does indeed respond smoother.

However (we all knew there would be a however)...

This disables Live Tiles.  In Dynamics specifically, the end user can have many windows open and they use Live Tiles to see which window they need to go back and forth from.  Now all that someone sees when clicking on the taskbar is the icon of the app and the RDP name.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 9:47 PM
  • We also have this problem since upgrading to the fall creator's update.

However, disabling RemoteFX causes other problems that are more anoying then one pop-up window that appears behind a program. 

When we resize a remoteapp window, the window doesn't go to the correct sizes. The top menu bar vanishes but is still there if you know where to click. 

I'm hoping microsoft fixes this issue fast. 

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:59 AM
  • Yes, thanks for posting, we are having the exact same issues with RemoteFX turned off

Hoping to see a fix for these issues asap

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:02 AM
  • The same issue with RemoteApps. We use the old Windows 2008 R2 RDP server and not going to upgrade that.

No problem on Windows 7 client or Windows 10 build 1703.

But Windows 10 build 1709 has this issue.

Gents, what's going on ?

30% of users can't work at all.

mcse^4

Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:33 PM
  • Same issue and it is very annoying. Rolled back my personal MSTSC.exe and dll and that solved the issue. The other PCs in my org with FCU are all experiencing this. 
    Friday, January 19, 2018 5:12 PM
  • So we decided there was less issues in re-enabling RemoteFX and it does seem to be the case , Since turning it back on(so far)we now back to the build 1709 and the windows dissapearing issue(far fewer issues than when RemoteFx was Disabled).

We seem to be spinning wheels with MS on this, has anyone actually had official acknowledgement of this problem. It been weeks now and I dont seem to be able to get anyone to commit at Microsoft to this being a known problem that  will be addressed.

Did the copying of the files from an old Win10 version work for any RemoteApps users.. might be worth a try i think

Monday, January 22, 2018 9:58 AM
  • Hello!

We also have 2 customers with remote apps with this problem. (Server 2012 R2 and Server 2016)

As workaround we use the mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll from Windows 10 1703.

We do not have any long term experience with this workaround.

best regards

Christian

• Proposed as answer by Snorlax Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:24 PM
    Monday, January 22, 2018 12:29 PM
  • The same issue with RemoteApps. We use the old Windows 2008 R2 RDP server and not going to upgrade that.

No problem on Windows 7 client or Windows 10 build 1703.

But Windows 10 build 1709 has this issue.

Gents, what's going on ?

30% of users can't work at all.

mcse^4

Same situation here, we have three 2008 R2 and three 2012 R2 RDP servers. And only W10 build 1709 has issues, there is no matter is the server 2008 or 2012.

-TL

Monday, January 22, 2018 8:47 PM
  • Hi,

My apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I would suggest open a case with Microsoft where more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

If the issue would be proved as system flaw, the consulting fee should be refund.

Best Regards,

Amy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact 

I'm private cloud customer in mid-size dc-provicder with SPLA-licenses in server-side, and we provide Dynamics NAV as a service for our retailers (for end users), they have their own Windows 10 licenses. Where should I contact?

-TL

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 9:00 PM
  • Hi,

As a potential temporary workaround, please Disable Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp group policy setting on the RD Session Host server(s) and test to see if the issues goes away.  The setting is located under Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Remote Desktop Session Host Environment\

Thanks.

-TP

Hi, sorry , but I don't think this should be marked as the answer as doing so causes more problems than its worth. We have reverted back to having it ENABLED and given the users the MSTSC files from a 1703 build, so far this seems to have resolved.
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks.

-TP

I agree, this is not a solution. This brings more problems then it fixes.

The solution is easy: FIX it. This thread is from november 2017... why isn't this fixed yet?

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:04 AM
  • I agree, this is not a solution. This brings more problems then it fixes.

The solution is easy: FIX it. This thread is from november 2017... why isn't this fixed yet?

I've removed "answered mark"

we need workaround mark :-)

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:21 AM
  • when I replace mstsc.exe & mstscax.dll with 1703 version remote desktop / app goes into infinite loop crash.

other file or step is required?

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:14 PM
  • MICROSOFT!! We keep trying to deploy Server 2016, and garbage like this keeps happening. We have new RDS servers deployed in our environment for many of our customers, and they're sitting idle because YOU PEOPLE DON'T TEST YOUR CRAP. PLEASE fix this! It's incredibly frustrating. We also have an issue now where windows (from OLD RDS 2018 R2 servers) come up blank or garbled if the left most monitor is not the primary. Essentially, our customers are frustrated with us because of your problems. THIS HAS BEEN ONGOING FOR MONTHS WITH NO FIX, COMPLETELY INEXCUSABLE!

Monday, February 12, 2018 2:49 PM
  • I'have exactly the same problem with my 2016 freshly installed server. My rdp client is on another 2016 server, full update too.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:09 AM
  • Has anyone tried if the Cumulative update today (2/13) resolved this issue?
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:11 PM

Not resolved. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074590/windows-10-update-kb4074590 it's also not mentioned and: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074588

• Edited by ShaneV789 Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:37 AM

Not resolved. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074590/windows-10-update-kb4074590 it's also not mentioned and: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074588

Yep, same version numbers as 1709 release. 

If you have the files from 1703, you can use the following bat script from an administrative cmd to replace them . 

cd c:\
    takeown /f "C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe"
    takeown /f "C:\Windows\System32\mstscax.dll"

ren C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe mstsc.exe.bak
    ren C:\Windows\System32\mstscax.dll mstscax.dll.bak

copy "C:\MSTSC\1703\mstsc.exe" "C:\Windows\System32\"
    copy "C:\MSTSC\1703\mstscax.dll" "C:\Windows\System32\"

icacls "C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe" /setowner "NT Service\TrustedInstaller"
    icacls "C:\Windows\System32\mstscax.dll" /setowner "NT Service\TrustedInstaller"

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:53 AM
  • Has anyone had a conversation with Microsoft support to see if they are even working on this? Essentially, RemoteApp, which is supposed to be their cloud delivery platform for desktop apps, has been fundamentally broken since November and they don't seem to care. MICROSOFT! This is ridiculous! We deliver apps to our customers via RemoteApp and SPLA licensing, and we have continually been thwarted in our efforts to release Server 2016 due to CONSTANT RDP bugs, some of which are now impacting our customers on Server 2008 R2 with multiple monitors from Windows 10. I can't begin to describe how frustrating it is that they don't seem to care.

TEST YOUR CRAP!!

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 2:38 PM
  • Microsoft: This isn't even hard to test or reproduce. You just launch Outlook, one of your most used applications, from Windows 10 as a RemoteApp from server 2016 and use it for more than 5 seconds. This bug is so glaringly obvious, and impacts usability in such a huge way, that there's no way it should have ever made it past QA (if you still have such a thing). This is embarrassing for your company.
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 2:42 PM
  • Yes, we logged this with MS back in early January.

FINALLY been told they will actually look into it last night.

"We have engaged our internal team who are in the process of getting the issue reproduced in the lab.

Once we will complete it we will get in touch with you to work on this.

I will keep you posted as to where we have reached so far.

"

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem. Write please if MS will resolve it.

Saturday, February 17, 2018 2:11 PM
  • We have also logged a ticket with MS in January. However we are just a small customer so probably no priority for them.

Let's keep us updated here.

Sunday, February 18, 2018 9:32 AM
  • Everyone who sees this. Please go into the Windows Feedback app in Windows 10 and UPVOTE the following feedback items (you can search for them or click the link) to get them higher priority with Microsoft.

"Windows 10 (1709) RemoteApp focus issues"

https://aka.ms/Q6gv4l

AND

"Since Windows 10 Build 1709, new windows in Office apps running as RemoteApps come up behind the main window."

https://aka.ms/Ans1y8 

Monday, February 19, 2018 10:07 PM
  • My account doesn't have access to either of those somehow, and the quoted text isn't findable either, but I did find a couple others there that apply.

Which reminds me: Has anyone been testing this with Insider builds?  I wonder if it's one of those things that they fixed there. That's not going to help many here, since that version isn't used widely, but it would be a good sign for April.

Monday, February 19, 2018 10:23 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks.

-TP

Any update from any of you mods as to whether this issue has a fix coming?
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 10:59 PM
  • At this point, it may be easier to put the 1703 MSTSC files online somewhere. I'd love to test this, but I'll need to check around for a 1703 install. My clients are on 1709 for the most part.

Saturday, February 24, 2018 3:24 PM
  • Yes, we have started providing 1703 files to each client that requires(all after they update to 1709)

I have 1703 files I can share  if you need.

Saturday, February 24, 2018 11:15 PM
  • Please do share it!!
    Saturday, February 24, 2018 11:18 PM
  • Here you go ..

https://pc-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/steve_purplec_com_au/Ec1oJp_5rlxDqA8g6zTjW_UB9mNVEbaz1SqAk5iLcpD0Qw?e=McLWom

Finally Acknowledged - 

We have found out that it is a known issue and our internal team is working on it.

Cause :

EVENT_SYSTEM_FOREGROUND comes too soon on the server. We end up sending the incorrect z-order to the client because in some scenarios the z-order calculation has not completed before we send it. A race condition exists in RemoteApp when a window is activated resulting in the activated window opening behind the previous foreground window. After the RemoteApp widow is activated, RdpShell.exe checks the server z-order before win32k.sys finishes computing the new z-order. When this condition occurs, Rdpshell.exe sends the wrong z-order instructions to mstsc.exe on the client. This fix introduces timer code to cause RdpShell.exe to wait for win32k.sys to finish computing the z-order before sending the new z-order to the client.

• Proposed as answer by Steve R Morris Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:30 AM
    • Edited by Steve R Morris Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by fileman Wednesday, February 28, 2018 8:22 AM
    Saturday, February 24, 2018 11:33 PM
  • OMG I experienced this myself but didn't pay much attention.  I thought my RDC app froze the whole computer

It is 1709, my RDC login windows pop up behind other focused applications, this is not an isolated issue.  This occurs on my Windows 10 computer with the native Windows 10 RDC app.   I won't speak about Windows Store things, they have historically not worked reliably "can anyone say calculator?"

I believe this is a deficiency with the Windows 10 OS itself

• Edited by gettnmorebetter Monday, February 26, 2018 4:49 AM added windows
    Monday, February 26, 2018 4:46 AM
  • Yes, we have started providing 1703 files to each client that requires(all after they update to 1709)

I have 1703 files I can share  if you need.

Whilst the 1703 files are better than the 1709. There is another weird issue:

If you open an email in full screen and then close it, when you open another email in full screen, it will show the contents on the previous message until you resize it. 

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:28 AM
  • Thank you much.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 5:50 PM
  • Thanks for the update. Do you know if this happens with 1703 and 1709? Or one or the other?
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 5:50 PM
  • I am hopeful you’ll post here when it’s out so we test?
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:40 AM
  • no doubt
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:46 AM
  • The fix is likely to get released by March or April.

I've marked as answered since the issue is found and the team is working on it... I hope they release asap.

@SteveRMorris We can expect a reference in KB solved issue?

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 8:24 AM
  • I've been informed by Microsoft Support that the the hotfix currently is scheduled for release at March 21st.
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 12:39 PM
  • Thank God.

I don't understand why, this issue surfaced in 2008 and was fixed in 2008R2 was ok in 2012 and now it surfaced again in 2016. Very strange. I have irate customers and the only way to temporarily solve this was with RDP desktop with our app auto starting and without task bar which caused a new prob which is when they open multiple windows they struggle finding the correct previous one. Yes I know Alt + Tab but they want to hover over the app on the task bar and due to security reason we don't want to give them the task bar. The sooner this is fixed the sooner I will get some sleep. :(

I have also noticed that when the remote app starts it places the RDP start-up blue screen behind the remote app. This didnt happen in 2008 or 2012 any ideas how to fix this??

Friday, March 2, 2018 2:16 AM
  • I've been informed by Microsoft Support that the the hotfix currently is scheduled for release at March 21st.

ChristianFlyholm,

Tomorrow is the 21st!!!  We've been looking forward to this day.  Do you have any additional information regarding the fix?  thank you

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 9:04 PM
  • We have also this problem in our Windows Server 2016 RDSH environment. Users can't switch between multiple windows in a RemoteApp. We are using Igel Thinclients with RemoteFx.

I found out that disabling "Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp" can be used as a workaround. But then you don't have a live preview of the windows in the taskbar.

I'm just wordering where to apply the gpo settings? On the RDSH or the RemoteApp host?
    I thought on the RDSH only, but I need to apply the settings to the RemoteApp host too.

• Edited by 12345mn Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:25 PM
  • When we enable 'Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp' we getting flashing / flickering issues. When we disabled it we getting the issue multiple screen. 

The old version is working corectly with 'Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp'  disabled.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 1:33 PM
  • Here you go ..

Finally Acknowledged - 

Cause :

Sometimes You'd Whish you could send someone Ten-votes-in-a-click
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 1:47 PM
  • Anybody heard anything about the update? Supposedly today was the day.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 4:44 PM
  • We have also this problem in our Windows Server 2016 RDSH environment. Users can't switch between multiple windows in a RemoteApp. We are using Igel Thinclients with RemoteFx.

I found out that disabling "Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp" can be used as a workaround. But then you don't have a live preview of the windows in the taskbar.

I'm just wordering where to apply the gpo settings? On the RDSH or the RemoteApp host?
    I thought on the RDSH only, but I need to apply the settings to the RemoteApp host too.

Which version of the RDC is delivered on the Igel Client ? Win 2016 use RDP protocol 10.2. I’ve got exactly the same issue and using the RDC 10.0 (which comes with the 1507 build) but no fullscreen bug like Linkazoid on 1703 build. Unfortunately, impossible to switch correctly between multiple windowed applications in the taskbar. Outlook seems to work fine, but the Navision 2015 client is hard to use.

MCP | MCITP 2008

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:05 PM
  • Any news on the fix/update???
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 12:21 AM
  • Microsoft - Need the fix. Either a hotfix or at least instructions to fix it manually........ PLEASE :( 

• Edited by seraph67 Thursday, March 22, 2018 3:13 AM
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 1:10 AM
  • Microsoft? Any luck? 
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 1:57 PM
  • Add me to the list. Refreshing this thread on an regular basis :)
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 4:55 PM
  • It looks like KB 4088889 for Windows Server 2016 includes a reference to this issue but so far there is no fix for this issue on Windows Server 2012 R2 which demonstrates the same issue. The patch also doesn't reference Windows 10 1709 only the 1607 version.
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 6:05 PM
  • It looks like KB 4088889 for Windows Server 2016 includes a reference to this issue but so far there is no fix for this issue on Windows Server 2012 R2 which demonstrates the same issue. The patch also doesn't reference Windows 10 1709 only the 1607 version.

What about Server 2012 (without R2)? Ive had the problem for years, that sometimes pop ups open behind the RemoteApp Window... Doesnt matter what client, right now we have Win10 1709

Generally, there are a lot of strange things happening when you use remoteApps especially if you have multiple windows opened at the same time

Edit: I forgot to mention, that with Windows 10 1709 when we minimize our Software opened in a RemoteApp and then try to maximize it again we just see a blackscreen. That didn't happen with 1703 - and if It happens all we can do is restart the Session :(

2nd Edit: I just checked - the new Update for 1709 doesn't do anything for us

Thursday, March 22, 2018 6:39 PM
  • It wouldn't reference 1709, since that's 16299 and updated with an entirely different patch.

16299.334 came out today (for Win10), but there's no mention of it there. I don't know where 16299 server updates are listed, assuming the release notes for it are any different than Win10's (in the case of Server 2016 and Win10 1607, the release notes are the same).

Thursday, March 22, 2018 6:40 PM
  • Finally KB4088889 is released and contains the fix for RemoteApp. It works but... Just for the first windows opening, second try and that’s behind omfg Microsoft :/ Tried with Outlook 2013.

MCP | MCITP 2008

Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:33 PM
  • Just tried KB4088889... no dice. Doesn't fix a thing. Really, Microsoft??
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 10:17 PM
  • What is so hard about getting the window order right in RemoteApp???? I've been promising my customers a fix for months now, and I installed the Server patch AND the latest Windows 10 update, and... wait for it... it DOESN'T FREAKING WORK!! Come ON! Literally zero change!
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 10:28 PM
  • Looks like we need to do back to W2012 thanks for nothing Microsoft, will you refund the costs of upgrading and downgrading? :( (Very Annoyed)
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 10:30 PM
  • No reference in the KB if the patch need to be deployed on the client, the server or the both. In my opinion, such component must be on the client side, I’m currently trying to deploy the patch on HP Thin Client with Win 2016 LTSB (which is 1607 build). I’ll update the post when I’ve done all tests. On those thin clients, RDP is in version 10.2 (current is 10.4 in 1709) and there is the fullscreen bug in some applications like described earlier on this thread.

MCP | MCITP 2008

Thursday, March 22, 2018 11:03 PM
  • Horrible. Simply horrible :(  

I tried downloading KB 4088889 manually from this link and I got an 'update not applicable' message when I tried to install the MSU. 

As an earlier poster mentioned, this is by no means a difficult task to accomplish. Since the EVENT_SYSTEM_FOREGROUND basically gets sent too early to the server, all you got to do is to either introduce a slight artificial delay for this particular event, or some fancy coding to make popups originating from the parent process, the foreground window. There's so many options to address this bug. 

At this point Microsoft, you are forcing your customers to look at Remoteapp alternatives. It's all very sad. I'm very sad. 

Friday, March 23, 2018 2:17 AM
  • +1 for lack of 1709 support. Bummer
    Friday, March 23, 2018 9:47 AM
  • No reference in the KB if the patch need to be deployed on the client, the server or the both. In my opinion, such component must be on the client side, I’m currently trying to deploy the patch on HP Thin Client with Win 2016 LTSB (which is 1607 build). I’ll update the post when I’ve done all tests. On those thin clients, RDP is in version 10.2 (current is 10.4 in 1709) and there is the fullscreen bug in some applications like described earlier on this thread.

MCP | MCITP 2008

Ok, after all tests, no changes on a Windows 10 1607. There is something very annoying in this KB because Microsoft seems to fix the foreground bug that occurs only on latest build (1709) but stand that’s for 1607 build only. Problem is that the build hasn’t got the foreground issue but the fullscreen one !

To mitigate those issues, we’re currently using the RDC Client delivered with first Windows 10 build (1507) and no fullscreen or foreground bug at all. RemoteApp is an amazing product that I deployed for 10 years with 100% customer satisfaction. I really don’t want to go to Citrix solutions, my business was to keep them on MS products !!!

MCP | MCITP 2008

Friday, March 23, 2018 11:07 AM
  • This patch seems to address a Race Condition that happens when the window opens behind the parent window, but doesn't say it actually fixed the primary issue of the popup opening behind the parent. Maybe there is another patch/hotfix coming? Could somebody at Microsoft pretend to give a crap about their customers and let us know?

Friday, March 23, 2018 12:06 PM

Yep, same version numbers as 1709 release. 

If you have the files from 1703, you can use the following bat script from an administrative cmd to replace them . 

icacls "C:\Windows\System32\mstscax.dll" /setowner "NT Service\TrustedInstaller"

I don't have access to those files, anybody have a download link?
    Friday, March 23, 2018 12:16 PM
  • Here you are.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=221d0283f742200b&resid=221D0283F742200B!9345&parId=221D0283F742200B!161&authkey=!AqeXjOJawGz_gx4&Bsrc=SMIT&ref=button

MCP | MCITP 2008

Friday, March 23, 2018 1:17 PM
  • Here you are.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=221d0283f742200b&resid=221D0283F742200B!9345&parId=221D0283F742200B!161&authkey=!AqeXjOJawGz_gx4&Bsrc=SMIT&ref=button

MCP | MCITP 2008

Thank you!!
    Friday, March 23, 2018 1:40 PM
  • I have created two utilities using WinZip self extractor and a batch file to accomplish this. It effectively rolls back any 64 bit version of Windows 10 to RDP 1607. There is also a utility to undo this rollback if needed. With my luck, after spending time on this today, Microsoft will probably release a fix tomorrow.

http://rightsync.syncedtool.com/shares/file/2c3a52086bdc3b/

Friday, March 23, 2018 6:48 PM
  • I have created two utilities using WinZip self extractor and a batch file to accomplish this. It effectively rolls back any 64 bit version of Windows 10 to RDP 1607. There is also a utility to undo this rollback if needed. With my luck, after spending time on this today, Microsoft will probably release a fix tomorrow.

http://rightsync.syncedtool.com/shares/file/2c3a52086bdc3b/

Tks for sharing, I’ll see this. Obvisously, the 1607 still have the fullscreen bug. Example for Outlook and when opening multiple emails, you still have as a result the first that you opened until you resize the window. Some users work like that and that’s a waste of time to tell them to change their mind. In such case, RDC 1507 do the job.

MCP | MCITP 2008

Friday, March 23, 2018 11:36 PM
  • I have updated server to kb4089848, re-enalbe RemoteFx and now no more issue in my case.
    Saturday, March 24, 2018 10:22 AM
  • In my case, I couldn't apply KB4088889 to my Windows 10 workstation since it runs 1709 and that one is for 1607. I was able to apply KB4089848, but I was able to reproduce one of the conditions that the client had reported. (The one in which the contents of the window are partially obscured or invisible.)

The MSTSC verison is 10.0.16299.15 after patch application. That's not the 10.0.16299.334 mentioned above, but I don't know where it is. Perhaps it's in the KB4088889 MSU?

(I briefly took a look at the contents of the MSU, but ... Well, I don't believe I know how it works. Inside is a CAB and inside that are several CABs. Inside those CABs are files numerically named (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.). There are probably transforms that name the files what they're supposed to be named when they get installed. Anyway, I gave up.)

At the moment, I am inclined to leave this patch on the one workstation in which I applied it. Microsoft published it three days ago. While WU was not offering it to the computer, I imagine it would eventually. I created a reminder for myself to check to any weird issues between now and 4/5. Hopefully that'll be enough to remind me that it's the Prime Suspect if the user calls about any strange issues.

Admittedly, I am very curious to test 10.0.16299.334 if I can find it. :-) Anyone have a copy?

Back in the bad-old /span days, it mattered a great deal the placement of your monitors in the Display properties. Three people have complained about the problem. Two I know have their monitors set up in the 2|1 configuration with 2 being the Primary. I am very curious to try to force a 1|2 with 1 as Primary. It should merely take swapping the cables at the dock end. (I'm using laptops with docks.)

Sunday, March 25, 2018 3:10 PM
  • In my case, I couldn't apply KB4088889 to my Windows 10 workstation since it runs 1709 and that one is for 1607. I was able to apply KB4089848, but I was able to reproduce one of the conditions that the client had reported. (The one in which the contents of the window are partially obscured or invisible.)

The MSTSC verison is 10.0.16299.15 after patch application. That's not the 10.0.16299.334 mentioned above, but I don't know where it is. Perhaps it's in the KB4088889 MSU?

(I briefly took a look at the contents of the MSU, but ... Well, I don't believe I know how it works. Inside is a CAB and inside that are several CABs. Inside those CABs are files numerically named (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.). There are probably transforms that name the files what they're supposed to be named when they get installed. Anyway, I gave up.)

At the moment, I am inclined to leave this patch on the one workstation in which I applied it. Microsoft published it three days ago. While WU was not offering it to the computer, I imagine it would eventually. I created a reminder for myself to check to any weird issues between now and 4/5. Hopefully that'll be enough to remind me that it's the Prime Suspect if the user calls about any strange issues.

Admittedly, I am very curious to test 10.0.16299.334 if I can find it. :-) Anyone have a copy?

Back in the bad-old /span days, it mattered a great deal the placement of your monitors in the Display properties. Three people have complained about the problem. Two I know have their monitors set up in the 2|1 configuration with 2 being the Primary. I am very curious to try to force a 1|2 with 1 as Primary. It should merely take swapping the cables at the dock end. (I'm using laptops with docks.)

KB4088889 did not resolve the issue on any server we tried it on (about 5 servers). The only fix/workaround we've found is rolling the client back on the Windows 10 workstation. RDP10 is broken.

Monday, March 26, 2018 2:39 PM
  • Anybody heard anything regarding the release date of an actual fix for this?
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 3:46 PM
  • Nothing. Nada. Zilch. 

C'mon Microsoft - this is extremely frustrating.  

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 6:11 PM
  •  Received yesterday and available now via MS Update 

I wanted to let you know that the fix has been released you can install that on your Server 2016: <u5:p></u5:p>

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4088889/windows-10-update-kb4088889

<u5:p> </u5:p>

Friday, March 30, 2018 9:22 PM
  •  Received yesterday and available now via MS Update 

I wanted to let you know that the fix has been released you can install that on your Server 2016: <u5:p></u5:p>

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4088889/windows-10-update-kb4088889

<u5:p> </u5:p>

This is the same update I tried on the 22nd when it was released, it did not fix the issue.
    Saturday, March 31, 2018 5:10 PM
  • Very sad state of affairs :(
    Monday, April 2, 2018 11:36 PM
  • Can we get the "Answered" status of this removed? There is yet to be an update that fixes this issue. I understand it's being worked on but there is no definitive date for a fix so i don't consider this question to be answered.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 8:48 AM
  • Agreed. 

Microsoft - you may not have a fix yet, but it's incumbent upon you to inform your paying customers of what's going on with this imho major bug in a major offering. 

One of the previous messages in this thread noted that problem was with the 'EVENT_SYSTEM_FOREGROUND' message being sent too early. Basically, whenever the activated window opens behind a foreground window, the Rdpshell.exe sends the incorrect Z order information to Mstsc.exe. 
    Well, if you've identified that's the issue, why hasn't the 3/22 update resolved it? 

Is the problem with something else in the environment? 
    Is a fix being actively worked on?
    Or has this issue been abandoned, in which case customers will either have to switch to a different remote application delivery system or hack up some custom fix themselves? 

• Edited by seraph67 Wednesday, April 4, 2018 12:34 PM punctuation missing
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 12:33 PM
  • Yes, I agree, they need to say.

Can the couple people who have contacted support earlier in this thread get back in touch with MS about it?  That would seem the easiest route, since it'll be in reference to an existing case and they won't have to start fresh explaining the entire history.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 8:06 PM
  • Looks like Microsoft is not interested in competing in the cloud environment. They are allowing very basic browser based solutions to eat into their market share and they don't care. What they don't realise or just simply ignoring is that these solutions with, dropbox, google drive and the like, are meaning that customers are no longer NEEDING Microsoft servers or Microsoft applications. The few business that are still fighting for server based windows apps are being ignored, even though these business require Office365, MS Server Licenses, MS SQL, RDP Licenses etc...

If they had a clue they would prioritise this bugs and even make RDP licences free which would enable windows based solutions to properly compete with those low grade browser based solutions. Very Sad indeed.... 

• Edited by Manny888 Thursday, April 5, 2018 3:44 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 12:43 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I have been having this same pop under issue in RDS and was wondering if there is any update on the patch.

Thanks,

Sacha

Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:17 PM
  • Yeah, I've had this "pop-up behind the main window" issue for years on various RemoteApps and was excited to see a potential fix. I installed it and it didn't fix it for me. I haven't tried the RemoteFX "fix" yet. It is very replicate-able for certain programs. So one thing I've told my users is to click the minimize all button (bottom right on taskbar) which will minimize everything to the bottom taskbar. Then you can click on the remote app in the taskbar to pull it up and usually the pop-up is now in the foreground. That's how I knew this was a timing issue (back in my programing days). It's better than having them press Ctrl-Alt-End and then signing out of it.

Now what the patch did do is cause another issue that I have never seen before. 3 clients, including myself, have experienced an issue with 2 different RemoteApps where when we will launch the RemoteApp, it pulls up the first screen of the app (in both cases a username/password screen) but once we click the button for it to pull up the next screen the RemoteApp disappears so all I see is my desktop. With one of our apps it does something more. The next screen is supposed to fill up the whole desktop and show a pop-up asking more questions. Well the pop-up appears but the background screen does not show up, so when we click okay on that pop-up, we see nothing, since the background screen never showed up! RemoteApp never had issues with these screens before the update.

A couple times I actually saw a faint outline of a transparent square on my desktop where the screen was supposed to be. I do see that it's in my taskbar, so it hasn't crashed. The peak feature doesn't show anything. This happens 100% of the time for me now on my work computer but it might be because I'm using traditional remote desktop to access my workstation from home and then from there I'm launching the RemoteApp. My second customer was doing the exact same thing this week and had this issue. I am not sure about my third customer, but it's getting me scared. I can no longer access my RemoteApps at all, at least from this setup (I need to get into the office to see if this happens when I'm logged in locally). This happened right after the Windows updates.

So I shadowed myself from the server management and I do see the correct RemoteApp that is supposedly showing on my workstation. It's just I don't see the program on my screen. Ironically, if I close the program from the peak feature, it will show the expected "Do you want to exit?" pop-up that this RemoteApp normally shows. So this patch essentially broke my program. Now, all it does is show the pop-ups instead of the primary program! And here's the kicker, this same RemoteApp on a functioning computer still has the issue with one of the pop-ups going behind the main screen, so now the patch just introduced more issues for me and fixed nothing.

As for the maximize issue someone reported in these threads, I have had that from the beginning with Server 2016 on my high resolution monitors, including all of my Surface Books. I talked to some remote desktop MVPs at Microsoft and they said they've never heard of this happening before. It happened to me out-of-the box. It doesn't happen with 2012R2 and I couldn't find anybody who reported the issue until this thread. The issue is 100% replicate-able in my environment with all programs, including wordpad and Calc RemoteApps. We're a Windows 10 shop with latest patches installed. The issue happens in single-monitor and dual monitors but only happens with monitors with high native resolutions like the surface book.

You launch the RemoteApp, maximize it, minimize it, and then click to open it from the taskbar and it appears on the screen maximized but appears to be frozen. With some computers it does go black, like someone reported in this thread. With a couple computers if I try to drag it from one monitor to another it vomits on the screen and looks like I put a magnet on an old CRT monitor.

Even though nothing refreshes, you can click on things on the screen as if they were there and they will respond like normal (you just might not be able to see it!). Shadowing shows that the program is responding (e.g. links are highlighting as you put the mouse over them). Any pop-ups will work fine if you click on something that would initiate it, but that primary screen will remain frozen on the screen (this is not the same as the pop-up behind the screen. It's more of a refresh issue.). The fix is to bring the program into normal mode again by double clicking the top bar or restore button. But it's hard to explain that to my customers. They just think the network froze. I'm just telling everyone to not click the Maximize button.

I have looked online for a solution for that but might have just discovered a fix on my own. I discovered that if I launched RemoteApp from lower screen resolutions with a 100% DPI then the problem doesn't happen. Our old laptops with junky video cards and low resolutions (1366x768) have never had this issue. I am now playing with the .rdp files and am finding that I might be able to solve the issue by adjusting the desktopwidth, desktopheight, winposstr. Or it could just be that this or a recent patch fixed something in regards to this. I had tried changing screen resolutions a few months ago without luck but now suddenly it's working. It's possible that I wasn't using 100% DPI earlier.

Friday, April 6, 2018 3:24 AM
  • Here you go ..

Finally Acknowledged - 

Cause :

Any update from MS on this? Still no fix.
    Monday, April 9, 2018 3:04 PM
  • Everyone: I have installed the current build of the Windows 10 1803 anniversary update via the Insider Program, and can confirm that this RDP Client bug is fixed in that release. I will update if I come across any other bugs. Supposedly this update will be going GA tomorrow.
    Monday, April 9, 2018 5:10 PM
  • What's the file version of the mstsc.exe file ? 
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 12:51 AM
  • Thank you.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 4:33 AM
  • That's great, a whole new OS version to install to get this bug fixed. I can't wait to see what new bugs 1803 brings us!

Edit: ignoring my sarcasm, thanks Timothy Haner for confirming it would indeed be fixed in this new release.

• Edited by elltommo Tuesday, April 10, 2018 9:19 AM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 9:17 AM
  • mstsc.exe file version is 10.0.17133.1
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 12:11 PM
  • mstsc.exe file version is 10.0.17133.1

Great. Thanks!! 

im using the temp solution of Knowall IT - http://www.knowall.net/blog/known-bug-with-windows-10-and-remote-desktop-rds-remote-apps-selected-windows-do-not-respond-fix/

A PS script to replace 1709 file with an old one that for me fix the problem. But i have to do this pc by pc... and are a lot...

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:54 PM
  • Hello – My name is Ron Stock from the Microsoft Windows Escalation Team. There is a known RemoteApp client issue with RS3 (MSTSC.exe and MSTSCAX.DLL) where some RemoteApp applications with the foreground window position open behind other windows. We are investigating the problem and we plan to have an official fix in the May (5C) release (third week of May). I will post the KB number to this thread when it is made available. 

Thanks,

Ron Stock
    Sr. Escalation Engineer | Support Engineering -  Cloud & Infrastructure Solutions | Escalation Engineering

Customer Services & Support | Microsoft Corporation

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 5:11 PM
  • Thanks. Was it a mistake that the fix was announced in KB4088889, or did MS really think that it was fixed?

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 6:10 PM
  • Hello – The March 3C release (KB4088889) addresses another issue we fixed in RemoteApp but it was a timing bug in RdpShell.exe (server side) causing the foreground issue. The fix slated to release in May specifically targets the client (MSTSC and MSTSCAX) and it resolves a specific window z-order issue on RS3 clients where the proper window doesn't take the foreground. The cause of these two issues are mutually exclusive and not related. One way to know if you’re experiencing the "May release" issue is if the problem only reproduces on RS3 clients but not RS2 clients. I hope this helps explain the difference.

Thanks,

Ron Stock
    Sr. Escalation Engineer | Support Engineering -  Cloud & Infrastructure Solutions | Escalation Engineering

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 12:09 AM
  • Hi Ron,

Thank you for informing us re this issue, but I would also like to ask if this fix will also fix the RemoteApp refresh issue upon logging in. When a user logs in via RDWeb and clicks our application icon from the RDweb tray it starts our application in a RemoteApp environment. Our app has a small pop-up screen whereby a user can choose to log in with windows authentication or not or log in as a different user. when they make a selection our app starts a splash screen and then our app occupies the full screen. The issue is the small pop-up screen (where the user chooses Win Auth) if dragged to a 2nd screen and you press ok, RemoteApp displays multiple images of that dragged onto the 2nd screen which makes our app look very poor quality. Has this issue been fixed? are you aware of it? Will this also fix this prob?
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:37 AM
  • Hi Ron,

Thank you for confirming this. We will await the May update. Do you believe this issue to be resolved in RS4? 

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 11:16 AM
  • Hello – My name is Ron Stock from the Microsoft Windows Escalation Team. There is a known RemoteApp client issue with RS3 (MSTSC.exe and MSTSCAX.DLL) where some RemoteApp applications with the foreground window position open behind other windows. We are investigating the problem and we plan to have an official fix in the May (5C) release (third week of May). I will post the KB number to this thread when it is made available. 

Thanks,

Ron Stock

Confirmed. It's not 100% fixed with 1803. What's strange is that many popups that were opening behind other windows do not any more, but now, at random, my entire Outlook RemoteApp will disappear behind whatever is supposed to be behind it. I'm not sure if this is even worse than the original problem. End of may is a very long time to wait for a fix to issues that have been frustrating our clients since November 2017.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 1:23 PM
  • @Manny888 - To validate whether the May z-order fix will address the issue you described–

Do you experience the issue on RS2 (1703) clients connecting to Windows Server 2016 Servers running the March 3C release (KB4088889)?

If yes, then the “May Release Z-order fix” will likely not address the issue you described because the May fix reverts one of our internal API’s behavior back to RS2 behavior. In other words, you will not see this specific issue we fixed, on RS2. The issue you describe sounds more like a graphics mis-paint issue rather than a Z-order problem. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ron Stock

• Edited by Ron Stock Wednesday, April 11, 2018 5:13 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 5:11 PM
  • @Manny888 - To validate whether the May z-order fix will address the issue you described–

Do you experience the issue on RS2 (1703) clients connecting to Windows Server 2016 Servers running the March 3C release (KB4088889)?

If yes, then the “May Release Z-order fix” will likely not address the issue you described because the May fix reverts one of our internal API’s behavior back to RS2 behavior. In other words, you will not see this specific issue we fixed, on RS2. The issue you describe sounds more like a graphics mis-paint issue rather than a Z-order problem. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ron Stock

I did not experience the issue with RS2 clients connecting to Server 2016 3C.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 5:41 PM

Thanks,

Ron Stock

@Timothy Haner - If you did not see a window z-order RemoteApp issue on RS2 but do see it on RS3, the May release will likely resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Ron Stock

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 5:55 PM
  • Hi Ron,

I am running Version 1709 Os Build 16299.371 and this re-painting prob is still there. (on w2012 it was perfect, so perfect the user didnt even know it was a remoteapp)

Basically you either see the windows background behind the remote app (Which didnt happen in w2012) or a black screen that looks like the picture attached. Is there anyway to fix this issue?

Thursday, April 12, 2018 12:42 AM
  • Hi Guys,

For those of you that are suffering from ""RemoteApp applications with the foreground window position open behind other windows""

I have issued the following shortcut to some of my clients as a "temporary fix" by using RDP instead of RemoteApp (Which doesn't have this prob). The problems I had to solve moving them to RDP were they didn't want to loose their local machine taskbar so I edited the {desktopheight} property to achieve this (please note these settings work only with screen res is 1920 * 1080, if yours a different please make the appropriate changes). Below are the settings I used to achieve a temporary solution to overcome this problem. (RDP shortcut for their local machines desktop)

-----------------------

redirectclipboard:i:1
    redirectprinters:i:1
    redirectcomports:i:1
    redirectsmartcards:i:1
    devicestoredirect:s:*
    drivestoredirect:s:*
    redirectdrives:i:1
    session bpp:i:32
    prompt for credentials on client:i:1
    span monitors:i:0
    use multimon:i:0
    server port:i:3389
    allow font smoothing:i:1
    promptcredentialonce:i:1

screen mode id:i:1
    desktopheight:i:1014
    desktopwidth:i:1920
    smart sizing:i:0

full address:s:portal.xx.xx.com {Replace portal.xx.xx.com with your address}
    alternate full address:s:portal.xx.xx.com {Replace portal.xx.xx.com with your address}

gatewayhostname:s:gateway.xx.xx.com {Replace gateway.xx.xx.com with your address}
    gatewayusagemethod:i:2
    gatewayprofileusagemethod:i:1
    gatewaycredentialssource:i:0

workspace id:s:rdcb01.xx.xx.com {Replace rdcb01.xx.xx.com with your address}
    use redirection server name:i:1
    loadbalanceinfo:s:tsv://MS Terminal Services Plugin.1.Cloud_Collection

--------------------------------

• Edited by Manny888 Thursday, April 12, 2018 5:27 AM
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 1:21 AM
  • Will the May fix also address this issue for 1709 RemoteApp clients who are connecting to Windows Server 2012 R2 session hosts? We experience this issue daily with 1709 and I did note that there was an update to the Mac RDP app version 10 (10.1.6) that fixed the issue we were experiencing for Mac Clients.
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 3:46 PM
  • Hello – The March 3C release (KB4088889) addresses another issue we fixed in RemoteApp but it was a timing bug in RdpShell.exe (server side) causing the foreground issue. The fix slated to release in May specifically targets the client (MSTSC and MSTSCAX) and it resolves a specific window z-order issue on RS3 clients where the proper window doesn't take the foreground. The cause of these two issues are mutually exclusive and not related. One way to know if you’re experiencing the "May release" issue is if the problem only reproduces on RS3 clients but not RS2 clients. I hope this helps explain the difference.

Thanks,

Ron Stock

Hi Ron,

The issues we have are with Windows 10 clients (they're using 1709, but I can't rule out it not being a problem on 1703 or earlier) using RemoteApp, the main server is a 2008 R2, but think this also can occur on 2012 R2 and 2016.

They launch the RemoteApp via the start menu of their client (apps pulled in by the RSS feed), if they drag or resize the remote app window onto a second display screen, it causes the look of the application to distort, it then becomes difficult to impossible to move or resize or close the app, it can also become invisible, yet it's still there as other (local) programs no longer respond indicating it is in-front of the local program, switching focus to the local program allows you to control it and move it.

This limits us to using RemoteApps only on the primary display and not resizing or moving for fear of corrupting the display of the RemoteApp and making it unusable.

Is this issue the timing bug in Rdpshell.exe or the z-order issue, or is this a third issue with RDP/RemoteApp on Windows 10 clients? Most others in the business are still on Windows 7, without any issues with RemoteApps.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:04 AM
  • Andrew,

I'm just going to chime in here because I had clients report the same issue and I can reproduce this problem only with 1709 and when the back-end Terminal Server is 2008R2. That being said, same problem. Unable to resize windows, windows getting distorted, etc.

I could be completely wrong, but I don't think this issue is related to the other problems in this thread and is different since it is related specifically to 2008R2. That being said, I reported this problem to MS and they had officially classified it as a bug. I was recently told this this problem has been resolved in RS5 (Spring Creators Update), however I have yet to confirm because the current RS5 build on Windows insider still does not fix the problem.

Jay Schwegler

Monday, April 23, 2018 8:39 PM
  • Hi all, we have just had a few clients install Win10 1803 and RemoteApp is doing some strange things with drop down selections etc . We have sent out an alert to clients to not install and repoted it to MS.

Ill post when more info available

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 6:56 AM
  • Hi all, we have just had a few clients install Win10 1803 and RemoteApp is doing some strange things with drop down selections etc . We have sent out an alert to clients to not install and repoted it to MS.

You have got to be kidding me.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 5:48 PM
  • MICROSOFT: Get your sh*t together.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 8:25 PM

You have got to be kidding me.

1803 doesn't have the fix in it. That's supposed to come out in a different patch this month. Supposedly.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 8:25 PM
  • Andrew,

I'm just going to chime in here because I had clients report the same issue and I can reproduce this problem only with 1709 and when the back-end Terminal Server is 2008R2. That being said, same problem. Unable to resize windows, windows getting distorted, etc.

I could be completely wrong, but I don't think this issue is related to the other problems in this thread and is different since it is related specifically to 2008R2. That being said, I reported this problem to MS and they had officially classified it as a bug. I was recently told this this problem has been resolved in RS5 (Spring Creators Update), however I have yet to confirm because the current RS5 build on Windows insider still does not fix the problem.

Jay Schwegler

RDP on 1709 is broken for all RemoteApps as far as I can tell.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 8:28 PM

Thanks,

Ron Stock

@Timothy Haner - If you did not see a window z-order RemoteApp issue on RS2 but do see it on RS3, the May release will likely resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Ron Stock

Ron, any ETA on the final fix? I'm rolling my clients back to 1607 as needed but this has been a huge pain.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 8:30 PM
  • WOW just WOW!

Most (if not all) of the Microsoft Office applications (especially Outlook) are now completely unusable when they are run as RemoteApp programs under the RTM release of Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.1). None of the drop-down menus from the ribbon will display making the applications basically useless.

This is way worse than the "pop-ups being hidden behind the main window" problem that initially started this thread. Does Microsoft even test any of this stuff before they release it to the public (Insiders Program???)? This is a HUGE problem that needs to be addressed ASAP. As a developer, I certainly understand that bugs exist in software, but show stoppers like this really should of been caught before RTM release. Yikes! :-O

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 4:50 PM
  • I posted this somewhere else, but I think it fits better here:

since the Windows 10 1709 Update we have this strange RemoteApp bug: after the user minimizes the RemoteApp window and then tries to maximize it again you get a blackscreen. This happens only with one specific program (support cant help) and only with Server 2012 "R1" (tried it with 2016 - it works fine). The 1803 Update didnt help. They definitly changed something with RemoteApps in Windows 1709, this seems to be some kind of refresh issue because the program itself still works but the picture doesnt get send to the cilent again.

I tried contacting the support but they can't help - this seems to be a very specific problem because it only happens with this setup: Windows 10 1709 -> Server 2012

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 5:10 PM
  • Can confirm this problem with Win 10 1709 and 1803 running remote apps on server 2016 (ltsc)
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:08 AM
  • I can also confirm that the dropdown menus and right-click context menus are also completley broken on 1803 and Server 2012. While 1709 had it's own set of problems, 1803 appears to be much worse.

Jay Schwegler

Thursday, May 3, 2018 3:12 PM
  • Come on Microsoft, how hard is it to get the basics right? Window ordering is application usability 101. Six months with no fix, this is insane.
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 4:39 PM
  • We're seeing this issue as well with both drop down delays in Dynamics GP 2016 as a published app and window pops not making it to the foreground. 

RDS running Server 2012 R2

Clients with Win 10 1803, and 1709. 

We are taking the route replacing MSTSC with older versions from 1703. Downloaded the version from the onedrive link provided earlier in this forum. mstsc.exe version 10.0.17134 before change, and 10.0.15063 after. 

Used this as a batch file to replace the mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll.  Modified a bit to provide local admins full control of the files in this location and then to set them back to what they were before the change. 

icacls "C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe" /grant "Administrators":F
    icacls "C:\Windows\System32\mstscax.dll" /grant "Administrators":F

icacls "C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe" /grant "Administrators":RX
    icacls "C:\Windows\System32\mstscax.dll" /grant "Administrators":RX 

This seems to have done the trick while we wait for the update in a few weeks. 

Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:52 PM
  • We just created a similar batch file yesterday which has temporarily appeased our Windows 10 remote web app users running Windows 10 Pro v. 1709 and v. 1803. RDS running 2016.
      I had also posted for help here:  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c13b559e-3af0-428a-a7b5-68aae7a2e917/windows-10-remote-web-app-display-windows-distorted-after-dragging-andor-maximizing?forum=winserverTS
    • Edited by techkat2 Friday, May 4, 2018 1:21 PM added URL
    Friday, May 4, 2018 1:19 PM
  • I checked the bug release ETA date and the fix for RS3 (1709) is slated for public release during the third week in May. It should be included with the roll-up from week 3.

This specific z-order issue would not be experienced by any of your RS2 (1703) systems because a change in RS3 (1709) is what triggered this specific issue.  

Thanks,

Ron Stock

Friday, May 4, 2018 3:13 PM
  • I checked the bug release ETA date and the fix for RS3 (1709) is slated for public release during the third week in May. It should be included with the roll-up from week 3.

This specific z-order issue would not be experienced by any of your RS2 (1703) systems because a change in RS3 (1709) is what triggered this specific issue.  

Thanks,

Ron Stock

Ron,

Will this patch also address the same issue the is occurring in RS4 (1803)? From our end, it seems like the issue got worse with the 1803 update. Is there an ETA for the issue with Selection Lists that has been discussed and was introduced in 1803?

Friday, May 4, 2018 4:36 PM
  • Ron,

You mentioned a week 3 update. The May cumulative update came out today, I don't *think* it addresses this issue since there is nothing in the patch notes about it.

That being said, is there going to be another update next week? I just don't remember there being multiple cumulative updates happening in the same month.

Jay Schwegler

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 11:56 PM
  • Hi, today, I installed 2018-05 Windows Server 2016 CU KB4103723  and also install 2018-05 kb4103721 on Windows 10 and still NO FIX. 

Still I cant open dropdown menus and "popup dialog" windows show on background. (RemoteApp)

When MS publish hotfix for this bug?

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 1:18 PM
  • @Darkwind321 -  I will check on the RS4 (1803) planned release but the bug I worked for RS3 (1709) is slated for week 3 of this month.

@Jay Schwegler - Great question. Our monthly, week three releases are always titled, "Preview of Monthly Rollup". The bug is marked as KB4103714.

I hope this helps.

Ron Stock

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 1:31 PM
  • MS - an information update. 

We did not have the issue until clients started updating to 1803. This along with the CREADSSP have impacted our support to external customers and resulted in potential revenue losses. 

We need a solution, we'll have 1000+ clients effected, once the 1803 rolls-out to all our clients.

Bob

Thursday, May 10, 2018 2:14 AM
  • MS - an information update. 

We did not have the issue until clients started updating to 1803. This along with the CREADSSP have impacted our support to external customers and resulted in potential revenue losses. 

We need a solution, we'll have 1000+ clients effected, once the 1803 rolls-out to all our clients.

Bob

Seconded. This is extremely frustrating and is now delaying deployment yet again over a productivity killer. Need an update or a solution or something. We are trying to get System Center off the ground on 1803 and this just put a huge blackeye on this entire project. We need an update, Microsoft.
    Thursday, May 10, 2018 7:28 PM
  • Good morning to all, since May 3 installed the 1803 version of windows 10 Pop-ups hidden behind main window. Is Microsoft aware of the problem?
    Friday, May 11, 2018 7:07 AM
  • CredSSP is easily fixed by patching your servers with the latest update. Please remember that the patch is required on the Connection Broker so if your like us and have RDS distributed functions across multiple servers you will also need tp patch the connection broker. Another point if you also have the RRAS on a separate VM you also wont be able to connect until you patch it.

Please refer to the following https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4093492/credssp-updates-for-cve-2018-0886-march-13-2018

Sunday, May 13, 2018 11:37 PM
  • Ron,

Where you able to find out anymore information about a hotfix RS4/1803 and pop-up windows not rendering correctly in a RemoteApp?

Thanks,

Michael

Monday, May 14, 2018 3:13 PM
  •                                          !!!WORKAROUND!!!

tested on 15 pcs updated to both 1709 and 1803 and works perfectly!

http://www.knowall.net/blog/known-bug-with-windows-10-and-remote-desktop-rds-remote-apps-selected-windows-do-not-respond-fix/

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:21 AM
  • We are testing this solution in our production enviroment. We confirm it works perfect. 
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:38 AM
  • it looks like it works, but sometimes while switching from the remote app to a local app, the screen turns white or black and you are forced to close the remot app ...
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:54 PM
  • It's not working.

Checked for 1803, mdts does not start, hangs.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:47 AM
  • This 'fix' has caused us issues with subsequent updates. Have had to reapply the fix after updates
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:21 AM

Thanks,

Ron Stock

Many thanks Ron, is there any news on when this updates is going to arrive?

regards

Dave Brown

Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:23 AM
  • The RS3 fix is slated to soon as part of the 5C release. Multiple environments have tested the RS3 fix with success for this particular z-order issue.

With regard to RS4 (1803), I checked the code in mstscax.dll version 10.0.17134.48, and verified this fix is already baked into it. With some folks still reporting issues (on RS4) with menus and right-clicking in Remote Apps, I'm working closely with my Dev Team to investigate. The investigation looks promising. I will update this thread soon.

Thanks,

Ron Stock

• Edited by Ron Stock Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:27 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:59 PM
  • With regard to RS4 (1803), I checked the code in mstscax.dll version 10.0.17134.48, and verified this fix is already baked into it. With some folks still reporting issues (on RS4) with menus and right-clicking in Remote Apps, I'm working closely with my Dev Team to investigate. The investigation looks promising. I will update this thread soon.

Thanks,

Ron Stock

Mr. Stock,

Thank you for your very informative message! I'm really glad to know that MS is close on the RS4 issue. Is it your belief that the fix that is already in RS4 and going out for RS3 today is actually the cause of the new issues in RS4? Our Dynamics GP users have been negatively impacted by the RS4 issue even worse than the RS3 issue, so I would not be inclined to recommend the 1709 fix today if it was going to lead to what we're seeing in 1803.

Yesterday and today we have had several users take the latest updates to 1803 and then run the work around steps posted by DavidFinocci (Thank you David!) on 16 May to revert MSTSC back to 1703. This has alleviated the problems for our Windows 10 users.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:06 PM
  • I will update this thread when the RS3 rollup containing the fix releases.

Thanks,

Ron Stock

Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:28 PM
  • Is there an ETA when this will be released?   We are right in them middle of getting ready to move our main business application over to a new 2016 server farm.   I discovered this problem only today during my testing before we begin migrating.

This particular bug is a complete show stopper.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:53 PM
  • Ron,

I'm a little lost in the back-and-forth regarding the issues you and the team are chasing. I want to briefly explain what I'm seeing and hope you can tell me if one of the above issues includes mine.

In short: On a workstation with multiple monitors, when a user opens a RemoteApp on one monitor then drags it to another monitor with the same resolution and maximizes the window, the interior of the window at the top and other edges are invisible. Instead of seeing the window's content on those edges, you see whatever is behind it. So, if what's behind it is your desktop background, you see your desktop background where there should be the program's content. (Interestingly, if you double-click where the RemoteApp's Title Bar should be visible, the window will scale back down.)

If you need an image, I can provide it. It's easily duplicated and I've mostly had users working around it by never maximizing their RemoteApp windows if they need to move it to their secondary monitor. I've seen this issue on multiple versions of MSTSC.exe, not just the latest.

I'm not looking for a solution if one doesn't exist. I'm hoping to know whether the above issues address this problem.

Cheers,

m

Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:00 PM
  • Thank you for providing information. Looking forward to the KB/fix.

We run 2012 R2 Remote app and Windows 10 1803.

Friday, May 18, 2018 7:57 AM
  • Ron, see the other thread which is what the 1803 is kindly providing in terms of defects. This is wreaking havok here guys. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f3e9852b-393c-4aa0-9d2f-961a82cfc603/remoteapp-after-windows-10-update-1803-are-slow-and-right-mouse-button-is-not-responding-it-reacts?forum=winserverTS&prof=required
    • Edited by mdmikestro Friday, May 18, 2018 6:47 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 6:47 PM
  • Thanks Ron. Eagerly awaiting the fix - it's a wide-spread problem.

Doug Kinzinger, MCSE

Friday, May 18, 2018 7:27 PM
  • Roll back to Windows 10 1607 for MSTSC 

https://mega.nz/#!4ohlAT6a!rB9Q_u2CUwMhC9J4Z-H5lf1ULVO534V_tGW6XTp-1Cc

I've been trying it for about half an hour and there seems to be no problems.

it was possible thanks to my great friend Pierpaolo.

Monday, May 21, 2018 9:35 AM
  • The RS3 fix is slated to release today. I will monitor and update this thread ASAP.

Also, I am aware of the RS4 issue discussed here - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f3e9852b-393c-4aa0-9d2f-961a82cfc603/remoteapp-after-windows-10-update-1803-are-slow-and-right-mouse-button-is-not-responding-it-reacts?forum=winserverTS&prof=required

We are investigating this RS4 issue and I will have more news shortly.

Thanks,

Ron Stock

Monday, May 21, 2018 5:27 PM
  • Thank you, Ron. Appreciate the update. The 1803 issue is a real bugger and affecting many clients. Any new updates are greatly appreciated.
    Monday, May 21, 2018 9:27 PM
  • The RS3 fix is slated to release today. I will monitor and update this thread ASAP.

Also, I am aware of the RS4 issue discussed here - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f3e9852b-393c-4aa0-9d2f-961a82cfc603/remoteapp-after-windows-10-update-1803-are-slow-and-right-mouse-button-is-not-responding-it-reacts?forum=winserverTS&prof=required

We are investigating this RS4 issue and I will have more news shortly.

Thanks,

Ron Stock

Ron, this appears to also be a z-ordering issue as the context menus and drop downs seem to be opening behind the main window. We have been rolling clients back to an earlier version of the exe and dll via a script when needed, but it's causing lots of frustration for our clients.
    Monday, May 21, 2018 9:28 PM
  • Apparently, this was a bug in 1803 build 17134.1 Awesome...

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Insider-Program/Remote-Desktop-Connection-Remote-App-behavior-problems/m-p/195855/highlight/false#M1588

When I first saw it, that was the only place I could find information.

Essentially, the context menus are hidden. You can actually click on them, provided you can find the right one. Or you can click on the wrong one, as I found out.

Monday, May 21, 2018 9:40 PM
  • Great news! The RS3 RemoteApp Z-order fix is live here - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4103714/windows-10-update-kb4103714

The kb4103714 fix is already built into RS4 (1803). But as many have indicated on this forum, RS4 (1803) has another window Z-order issue with context menus (right-click) which is not related to kb4103714. The good news is we fully understand the root cause of this RS4 issue and I will keep you posted on the next steps. Hang tight RemoteApp peeps. I will start posting updates in the thread here - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f3e9852b-393c-4aa0-9d2f-961a82cfc603/remoteapp-after-windows-10-update-1803-are-slow-and-right-mouse-button-is-not-responding-it-reacts?forum=winserverTS&prof=required

Thanks,

Ron Stock
    Sr. Escalation Engineer | Support Engineering

Cloud & Infrastructure Solutions | Escalation Engineering

• Edited by Ron Stock Monday, May 21, 2018 10:37 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2018 10:03 PM
  • Seems like problem isn't fixed on 1607 and patch cannot be applied on that version. Any instructions how to fix this. 1607 is also suffering from this bug.
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:54 AM
  • Just an update: Win10 1803 connecting to a Server 2012 R2 remoteapp: Same problem. Customer currently rolls all machines back to 1709 where it was already fixed.

Not funny.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:08 AM
  • Hey, Ron, but update kb4103714 is for version 1709 where there where no problems with RemoteApp. It can't be installed on 1803. Where is update that fixes the RemoteApp issue in 1803?
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 12:02 PM
  • Guys, Ron, did state that the fix is for RS3. The RS4 patch is being worked on, and hopefully will be available very soon. 

Ron is updating regarding the RS4 on the following thread: 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f3e9852b-393c-4aa0-9d2f-961a82cfc603/remoteapp-after-windows-10-update-1803-are-slow-and-right-mouse-button-is-not-responding-it-reacts?forum=winserverTS&prof=required

We're in the same boat as well, with problems using the 1803 build. 

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:26 PM
  • I can confirm similar issues (which I spent about 30 hours troubleshooting) with Win 10 1803 on a brand new standard issue RDS colo environment (4 Server 2016 VMs with all the latest updates).  Clicking drop down menus within the remoteapp, especially print menus, does not work.  Menu flashes down and right back up. Can sometimes use the space bar or arrow keys to make them work.  The 'Would you like to save this file before closing the program' dialogue box pops up behind the main program as does the program exit confirmation dialogue. Can't do anything until I alt-tab twice and it will bring the dialogue box to the front.  

Will do some more testing tomorrow, double checking and cross referencing affected versions of Windows and Server 2016.  

Wanna know where it DOES work WELL?  from my 3 year old MacBook Pro w RDP app where I do a lot of my after hours work. It does NOT work with my brand new custom built Windows 10 workstation.  

that's what tipped me off this was a MS thing.  it works perfectly on my Mac.

• Edited by UrbyTuesday Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:26 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:16 AM
  • We appreciate the feedback on this forum! The context menu issue on RS4 (1803) is a different problem which we are addressing. For updates on the RS4 (1803) issue please follow this thread - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f3e9852b-393c-4aa0-9d2f-961a82cfc603/remoteapp-after-windows-10-update-1803-are-slow-and-right-mouse-button-is-not-responding-it-reacts?forum=winserverTS&prof=required

Thanks,

Ron Stock

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:40 PM
  • We appreciate the feedback on this forum! The context menu issue on RS4 (1803) is a different problem which we are addressing. For updates on the RS4 (1803) issue please follow this thread -

Thanks,

Ron Stock

So then where do we stand on an update to fix the popup/window issue in 1803?  that's my only real issue right now....
    • Proposed as answer by Mario L82 Monday, May 28, 2018 4:59 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:13 PM
  • I second this. I need some kind of update to tell my organization.
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:41 PM
  • Just an update: Win10 1803 connecting to a Server 2012 R2 remoteapp: Same problem. Customer currently rolls all machines back to 1709 where it was already fixed.

ACK, same here. It seems to me that the latest Win10 update is responsible, that's when it started (running Win10/17134 here). We updated the TS, to no avail. Drives me up the wall.

Cheers,
    Olaf

Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:57 PM
  • Same here, increasing amount of complaints concerning 1803 when end users gets pushed updates.

Friday, May 25, 2018 5:03 AM
  • Has anyone had KB4103714 sync to their WSUS yet?

Friday, May 25, 2018 9:53 AM
  • same here. any solution?

Monday, May 28, 2018 5:00 PM
  • same here. any solution?

Have you not had it either? No solution yet, still waiting.....
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 12:33 PM
  • Hi there,

I have the same problem as everyone else here. For me the RemoteFX-solution mentioned above worked. While this solution worked for the popups-hidden-behind-main-window, this activated another problem. I work on two screens, and now only the main screen (1) can have the remoteapp in fullscreen. When i try to open it up on the second one (2) in fullscreen it freezes and has to be minimized or moved to screen (1) for it to work. I windowed mode it works well even on screen two.

Does anyone have the same problem or knows what this is about? 

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 6:23 AM
  • Hi there,

I have the same problem as everyone else here. For me the RemoteFX-solution mentioned above worked. While this solution worked for the popups-hidden-behind-main-window, this activated another problem. I work on two screens, and now only the main screen (1) can have the remoteapp in fullscreen. When i try to open it up on the second one (2) in fullscreen it freezes and has to be minimized or moved to screen (1) for it to work. I windowed mode it works well even on screen two.

Does anyone have the same problem or knows what this is about? 

Hi,

we are facing exactly the same issue here. Replacing the mstsc-files with the 1607 versions did not solve the problem.

• Edited by el_Daniel Wednesday, May 30, 2018 1:07 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 1:03 PM
  • And for those on Windows 10 LTSC 1607 versions ? No fix ?!?

We have many thin clients which are involved with the fullscreen bug. As a temporary fix, a script checks if the current version is applied (1607) and if it’s the case, rollback to previous version (1507).

Nobody is aware of this particular problem on Microsoft side ?

LTSC versions of Win 10 are still supported ! Don’t want to hear anything with SAC versions on production environnement. Every months we’ve got another issue with MS updates. Two months ago, breaking our Exchange with backend certificate on mailbox servers, last month SCEP broken and hangs the whole wuauserv service, come on Microsoft, what the hell are u doing ?

MCP | MCITP 2008

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 7:42 PM
  • Hi all, 

We just came up with a "Homebrew" exe that fixes this in one click. It's not the Microsoft official patch obviously, but we have the exe and dll from the Insider preview:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f3e9852b-393c-4aa0-9d2f-961a82cfc603/remoteapp-after-windows-10-update-1803-are-slow-and-right-mouse-button-is-not-responding-it-reacts?forum=winserverTS&prof=required 

We're still working on getting the 32 bit version.  If anyone has those files and can link them, we can get that exe published as well.

• Edited by GOTOMYERP Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:33 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:24 PM
  • Thank you. This along with the file in Onedrive somebody else provided solved the problem for hundreds of our clients.
    Monday, June 4, 2018 9:14 PM
  • Hello - We have plans to release an official fix for 1803 in the last week of June. I will provide the KB number as soon as it becomes available. This will address the right-click context menu (e.g. pop-up windows) issue specific to 1803 running as a RemoteApp.

I'm providing updates in this thread - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f3e9852b-393c-4aa0-9d2f-961a82cfc603/remoteapp-after-windows-10-update-1803-are-slow-and-right-mouse-button-is-not-responding-it-reacts?forum=winserverTS&prof=required

Thanks,

Ron Stock

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 6:32 PM
  • I can confirm this solved the dialog box focus/pop under issue in Windows 10 v1809.
    • Proposed as answer by Catano Monday, June 11, 2018 8:09 AM
    Friday, June 8, 2018 10:40 PM
  • I can confirm this solved the dialog box focus/pop under issue in Windows 10 v1809.

Hello,
    you are already in possession of the 1809 version. Where can I download it?

• Edited by Catano Monday, June 11, 2018 8:10 AM
    Monday, June 11, 2018 8:10 AM
  • I thinks it's from Insider Preview.

Monday, June 11, 2018 9:16 AM
  • Thanks for the info, I am having the same issue with a client that just installed 30 Win10 machines all running build 1803.  If I roll them back to 1703, everything is fine, but I don't want to do that.  I know you mentioned that there may be an update in March or April, but I do not see a hotfix for this.  Any update?

Monday, June 11, 2018 1:23 PM
  • Thanks for the info, I am having the same issue with a client that just installed 30 Win10 machines all running build 1803.  If I roll them back to 1703, everything is fine, but I don't want to do that.  I know you mentioned that there may be an update in March or April, but I do not see a hotfix for this.  Any update?

There is still no official fix from Microsoft on this. Not until the end of June (according to MS). 

Meanwhile, you can download the hotfix we wrote, which has been reported to be pretty successful with most:

https://www.gotomyerp.com/blog/windows-10-update-to-build-1803

• Edited by GOTOMYERP Monday, June 11, 2018 3:56 PM
    Monday, June 11, 2018 3:56 PM
  • Has this fix been released? We are still having trouble with this
    Wednesday, June 13, 2018 12:04 PM
  • Has this fix been released? We are still having trouble with this

Still no official fix from MS yet. 

However, the patch in the link above does seem to fix the issue for both May, and June's updates.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 6:10 PM
  • This worked for us. Thanks. I was struggling with the batch file and access denied errors, but whatever magic you added to your executable seemed to resolve that.  

Now I have to figure out how to roll this out to the entire company using policies.

Cheers,

Dan

Friday, June 15, 2018 9:11 PM
  • This worked for us. Thanks. I was struggling with the batch file and access denied errors, but whatever magic you added to your executable seemed to resolve that.  

Now I have to figure out how to roll this out to the entire company using policies.

Cheers,

Dan

Glad it worked out Dan. I don't believe I've had anything crazy in it. 

I did publish the most recent source code on the other forum post here:

If you remove the Messagebox pop ups, I suspect you should be able to roll it out within your environment via GPO. I don't know how big of an issue this is for larger corporations, I guess I can try to publish a version of it that can take a --silent argument which doesn't require any pop ups.

We're getting close to the MS patch now. however, please note a very possible observation made by one of the members in the other forum:

-1- This only applies if you have already installed the MS June update, which actually RE-Breaks the original patch

-2- depending on how Microsoft deploys their final fix, you might end up needing a THIRD patch to restore functionality as Microsoft intended.

You can read below for the excerpt from the other forum. I think everyone should be aware of this, because it is a very real possibility.

• Edited by GOTOMYERP Saturday, June 16, 2018 5:26 PM
    Saturday, June 16, 2018 5:23 PM
  • Dan, and everyone else on this thread looking. I have just made a post on this thread linked below, with a link to the same patch with a silent run option. Please do read the post , and make sure to test before deploying. I only have so many resources to be able to do full testing with....  :) 

Hope you find this helpful.

Monday, June 18, 2018 2:14 AM
  • Still no fix Mid June - I have this issue in our app with Win 10 pro 1803

We are a Microsoft Partner who distributes an application through Remote Desktop and Remote App Publishing.  we were planning to migrate our customers to Remote App, but the inability or unwillingness of Microsoft to address this quickly (almost 6 months without a solution) leaves us feeling that these features are very low priority for Microsoft, and makes us very uncomfortable about implementing a direction where we have more dependency.

Patching hundreds of users client o/s's is not a reasonable solution.

Glenn Barber

Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:14 PM
  • Symptom:
    After you install an update on a Windows 10-based computer, you can't use a Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) client. Additionally, you receive the following error message:

Remote Desktop Connection
    The Remote Desktop Services ActiveX control (mstscax.dll) does not match the version of the client shell.

Cause:
    This issue occurs on computers where mstsc.exe and mstxcax.dll files were replaced with a previous version of these files.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4340846

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:22 AM
  • Hi, is the fix released already?
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 12:45 PM

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f3e9852b-393c-4aa0-9d2f-961a82cfc603/remoteapp-after-windows-10-update-1803-are-slow-and-right-mouse-button-is-not-responding-it-reacts?forum=winserverTS

===QUOTE====

Hello - Thank you for your patience while waiting for us to ship the official fix. Our plan is to release it next week in the KB4284848 update. It will address the issue with the Remote Desktop client in which pop-up windows and drop-down menus fail to appear and the right mouse click does not work properly in Remote Apps <g class="gr_ gr_165 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="165" id="165" style="color:#333333;font-family:'Segoe UI', 'Lucida Grande', Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;">on</g> 1803.

The release notes will include guidance regarding the workaround which has helped so many of your production environments while waiting on this fix. If the temporary workaround of copying RS2\RS3 versions of MSTSC\MSTSCAX to a client system was implemented (for relief), BEFORE installing this fix we are recommending to copy the 1803 versions back to the System32 directory before applying KB4284848 to prevent the MSTSCAX mismatch error after applying KB4284848. The release notes will include more information.

Thanks,

Ron Stock

===QUOTE====

This is going to be interesting because a lot of people already applied some workaround/fixes as just couldn't wait so long.

• Edited by AFXXX Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:43 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:42 PM

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f3e9852b-393c-4aa0-9d2f-961a82cfc603/remoteapp-after-windows-10-update-1803-are-slow-and-right-mouse-button-is-not-responding-it-reacts?forum=winserverTS

===QUOTE===

Hello - Thank you for your patience while waiting for us to ship the official fix. Our plan is to release it next week in the KB4284848 update. It will address the issue with the Remote Desktop client in which pop-up windows and drop-down menus fail to appear and the right mouse click does not work properly in Remote Apps <g class="gr_ gr_37 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="37" id="37">on</g> 1803.

The release notes will include guidance regarding the workaround which has helped so many of your production environments while waiting on this fix. If the temporary workaround of copying RS2\RS3 versions of MSTSC\MSTSCAX to a client system was implemented (for relief), BEFORE installing this fix we are recommending to copy the 1803 versions back to the System32 directory before applying KB4284848 to prevent the MSTSCAX mismatch error after applying KB4284848. The release notes will include more information.

Thanks,

Ron Stock

===QUOTE===

This is going to be interesting as some people have workarounds/fixes already in place.

• Edited by AFXXX Tuesday, June 26, 2018 4:21 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:47 PM
  • KB4284848 (for W10 1803) is out now.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 5:42 PM
  • While KB4284848 was released I don't believe this resolved the current issue with the RemoteApp. I hope I'm referring to the same issue, but our RemoteApp still opens up in a state of being 'invisible', and we're still forced to minimize and maximize the icon in order to correct this after the update.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 1:35 PM
  • While KB4284848 was released I don't believe this resolved the current issue with the RemoteApp. I hope I'm referring to the same issue, but our RemoteApp still opens up in a state of being 'invisible', and we're still forced to minimize and maximize the icon in order to correct this after the update.

Peter,

Please open a case with Microsoft CSS so that they can get this fixed in a future update.

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 2:08 PM
  • I can confirm that KB4284848 resolved the RIGHT CLICK + Invisible Windows issue for us.

Initially, we used a workaround by replacing two files until experienced the file miss match error, when restored back the original files and now applied KB4284848, phew.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 2:32 PM
  • Was this released?
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 7:38 PM

I have exactly still the same problem.
    • Edited by Catano Thursday, June 28, 2018 5:58 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 5:57 AM
  • We still have the same problem. A previous work around of changing the mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll over from an older PC broke after an update, so we had to revert back to the broken version again.

Monday, July 2, 2018 10:02 AM
  • We still have the same problem. A previous work around of changing the mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll over from an older PC broke after an update, so we had to revert back to the broken version again.

If you're referring to the latest  KB4284848 breaking mstsc , I believe that's expected, IF, you had ran one of the previous work around patches when the official Microsoft patch hadn't been released. If you had that situation, try running the latest patch which restore the KB4284848 files as intended by Microsoft:

Download the final patches here

Monday, July 2, 2018 5:23 PM
  • After running the latest KB4284848 we are still having probs with the RemoteApp window poping behind other apps on the local machine, initially I thought it was happening only on secondary monitor but it also happens on primary monitor.

(It happens in RemoteApp when you open child objects from the parent and you close the child it brings to the foreground other non RemoteApp windows. In my case I had this thread open in Firefox behind the RemoteApp and when I closed the child instead of the focus going to the parent of the RemoteAPP (Which was behind and visible the child) it brought firefox to the foreground and placed the RemoteApp behind firefox....)

RemoteApp displays multiple images of small remote app scree when dragged onto the 2nd screen which makes our app look very poor quality. Has this issue been fixed? are you aware of it? Will this also fix this prob?

https://3gvision-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/emanuel_3gvision_com_au/EWsG5ZydZw9ErzrTzAHvFQgBK3vSUF6AxGV7erSBA8TnkQ?e=BSTBzC

• Edited by Manny888 Friday, July 6, 2018 4:21 AM
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 5:02 AM
  • I were referring that this KB4284848 patch doesn't fix the issue. We've installed this patch on 5 machines to test and all still experience the issue. This was on Monday, and the issue is still happening. 
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 8:19 AM
  • The Fix has been released. KB4284848, here is the download link. I have tested this on 3 Windows 10 PC's with build 1803 and it has resolved this issue.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4284848

Thursday, July 5, 2018 4:13 PM
  • Any updates on this? KB4284848 has not resolved the issue on the vast majority of my client PCs. We desperately need this fixed.
    • Edited by Danjo85 Tuesday, July 10, 2018 7:36 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 7:36 PM
  • I can confirm that my systems in my environment are also experiencing this problem.  I am being asked to roll out published RemoteApps vs full remote desktop, but this is a BIG show stopper. All of my pilot users have informed me of this issue. We use Navision 2013 as a published RemoteApp. When a user spawns multiple windows from the parent window, the windows open in the background. Even when the user tries to click on the new window to make it the primary focus, it won't switch. Sometimes they have to click on window title bar for it to get in focus. What's the deal here!?

I am able to replicate this problem on a fully patched windows 10 system

version: 1803 ( OS Build 17134.165)

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:29 PM
  • Still we don't have an answer to this one? I've waiting for months. :(

Jose Angel Rivera

Friday, July 20, 2018 12:43 AM

• If you are referring to RemoteApp - Pop-ups hidden behind main window, not it hasnt. I agree that it happens far less but it still happens. :(
    Sunday, July 22, 2018 11:14 PM

• If you are referring to RemoteApp - Pop-ups hidden behind main window, not it hasnt. I agree that it happens far less but it still happens. :(

Hey Manny, we're seeing this with Quickbooks, and the app appears to be frozen to the user. Do you happen to have a work around that allow them to dismiss the window? Force terminating the session isn't exactly the best solution. 

Anyone tried to change the 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ForegroundLockTimeout value? 

Thoughts? 

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 7:49 PM
  • The following are my suggestions re a work around for freezing (as you dont own the Quickbooks source code) :

1. At times Apps seem to be frozen but they simply have poped open a child form behind the main parent form and the user clicks the main parent and the app appears to be frozen. Inform the customer/user to locate the RemoteApp icon in the Status Bar and to hover and locate a possible 2nd window that is open and click it. This will solve that prob but if it happens often customers/user get very annoyed in my experience.

2. If your having probs with your Main App poping open a child pop-up form behind the parent and the user/customer is not comfortable hovering over the specific RemoteApp icon in the Status Bar and selecting the pop-up and you can trust the user/customer (or you have secured the RDP environment) you can provide them with RDP access sized to their specific screen so that they can see both the status bar of the RDP session and their local status bar. (Please refer to my post above on Thursday, April 12, 2018 5:27 AM)

3. Personaly we suffered endless pain with this problem it was a combination of RemoteApp bugs and where OUR APP forms were being created in Background non UI Threads (which all of a sudden became a prob, where by the previous 4 years it was ok. ) Early 2016 we were running W2012R2 and we started receiving tickets re app freezes. Mid 2016 we updated to W2016R2 freezes got worse according to our customers. It turns out the initial freezes were still there but due to all the new RDP bugs from a user perspective things got worse they were re-starting/re-logging back in 8 to 10 times per day. After trapping EVERY type of freeze we made changes to our code AND advised customers re Child Forms Behind Parent AND provided a few with RDP sized to their specific screen, we have managed to COOL down the situation.

Hope this Helps.

• Edited by Manny888 Thursday, July 26, 2018 11:51 PM
    Thursday, July 26, 2018 11:46 PM
  • Thanks Manny888 ! 

That's all pretty unfortunate information that you're providing. For us, it hasn't been too bad, we're all on 2012R2 for now. So, I guess your first workaround might be our only option, until we can find a way to truly reproduce the issue so that we can present it to Microsoft for a solution.

Monday, July 30, 2018 12:22 AM
  • Can anybody confirm that every now and then you loose the cursor in an RemoteApp environment??

I have to close RemoteApp windows (by slowly moving mouse and see what is hovering on remoteapp screen) and or re-start the RemoteApp.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 5:28 AM
  • Hey Manny, 

I want to say that I have seen it, but not prominently enough to get my attention. 

Do you know if it happens when you have multi-monitor? It seems like a lot of these quirks are more evident when you're on a multi-monitor setup.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 4:15 PM
  • I think you might be right as in the office I have 3 monitors whereby one is very High Res and the other 2 are HD. I believe when at home and I have single monitor it doesnt happen.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2018 6:37 AM
  • Question