none
W10 1709 RemoteApp - Pop-ups hidden behind main window

Question

• Hi, I've this issue after migration of RDS server from 2012 R2 to 2016 and client have Windows 10 1709 but with Windows 10 1703 no issue.

Any suggestions?

Thursday, November 16, 2017 9:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the build version of the Windows 1709 system? If it's not the latest, please fully patch the system to see whether the issue persists.

If the issue persists, please describe the exact behavior that users are seeing.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 17, 2017 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

system build 16299.64 and no other update available.

When the user opens a Remotepp, the main window of the app opens without any problems, from this one opens a second window without problems, but when a third modal window opens, initially appears in the foreground but shortly thereafter returns under the second window that invoked her

I hope I explained clearly, if it can be useful I have the PSR registration.

Friday, November 17, 2017 9:49 AM
  • Hi,

We have the same issue. The remote app is working fine, but some users (could be depending on the Os build), report this. The server environment is completely in Azure and running Windows server 2016. The 1 test user with the fall creator update already installed also had this issue.

I have tried all the suggestions below, but some are applicable on the environment en some are just not working

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/a019c79e-6ccf-4537-976f-675d5da7c02c/remoteapp-popups-hidden-behind-main-window?forum=winserverTS

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/2bdb5802-bd6f-440d-be30-8dc9e4309124/published-application-popups-behind-main-window?forum=winserverTS&forum=winserverTS

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2964832/remoteapp-program-pop-up-window-is-hidden-in-windows

Friday, November 17, 2017 11:27 AM
  • Ditto. And, it's an absolute nightmare when trying to use Outlook published as a RemoteApp program. Every single email, task, contact, etc. (Inspector) window drops behind the main Outlook (Explorer) window. It's very frustrating to say the least. Does anyone at Microsoft actually test this stuff in the "real world" before they release it to the public?
    Friday, November 17, 2017 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

My apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I would suggest open a case with Microsoft where more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

If the issue would be proved as system flaw, the consulting fee should be refund.

Best Regards,

Amy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 20, 2017 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

As a potential temporary workaround, please Disable Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp group policy setting on the RD Session Host server(s) and test to see if the issues goes away.  The setting is located under Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Remote Desktop Session Host Environment\

Thanks.

-TP

• Marked as answer by fileman Monday, November 20, 2017 9:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by fileman Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:18 AM
    Monday, November 20, 2017 9:10 AM
  • Hi,

I've tried to disable RemoteFX advanced graphics before writing the post, but for my error a filter was active that excluded the host.

Thanks!

• Edited by fileman Monday, November 20, 2017 9:23 AM
    Monday, November 20, 2017 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

we have exactly the same problem with our custom applications. Is there any update from Microsoft?

We installed the latest Cumulative Update KB4054517, but it didn't bring any progress.

Thanks!

Friday, December 15, 2017 12:38 PM
  • we are also having this issue since build 1709, build 1703 works fine.

is there a fix?

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:34 PM
  • I am experiencing this same issue on 1709 with 2016 RDS server.

Any known fixes?

I have disabled RemoteFX advanced graphics on the server already. 

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 4:12 PM
  • We've also tried this at my company.  We have Windows 2012R2 RDS Session Hosts deploying Dynamics AX 2012R2.  Windows 7 clients do not experience the issue, but our Windows 10 versions do.

Sub-windows launched from the main app are appearing behind the main windows, or worse yet, the new windows remain on top visually, but the main window behind is the active window according to the mouse.

All Windows 10 clients are running the fall creator's update, 16299.125 . 

I created a new HyperV VM running Windows 2012R2 and Windows 2016, installed and deployed via RemoteApp Dynamics, and the issue persists.

On each new VM, 2012R2 and 2016, I used the suggestion of setting to disable via local GP "Use Advanced RemoteFX for RemoteApp" and the application does indeed respond smoother.

However (we all knew there would be a however)...

This disables Live Tiles.  In Dynamics specifically, the end user can have many windows open and they use Live Tiles to see which window they need to go back and forth from.  Now all that someone sees when clicking on the taskbar is the icon of the app and the RDP name.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 9:47 PM
  • We also have this problem since upgrading to the fall creator's update.

However, disabling RemoteFX causes other problems that are more anoying then one pop-up window that appears behind a program. 

When we resize a remoteapp window, the window doesn't go to the correct sizes. The top menu bar vanishes but is still there if you know where to click. 

I'm hoping microsoft fixes this issue fast. 

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:59 AM
  • Yes, thanks for posting, we are having the exact same issues with RemoteFX turned off

Hoping to see a fix for these issues asap

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:02 AM
  • The same issue with RemoteApps. We use the old Windows 2008 R2 RDP server and not going to upgrade that.

No problem on Windows 7 client or Windows 10 build 1703.

But Windows 10 build 1709 has this issue.

Gents, what's going on ?

30% of users can't work at all.

mcse^4

Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:33 PM
  • Same issue and it is very annoying. Rolled back my personal MSTSC.exe and dll and that solved the issue. The other PCs in my org with FCU are all experiencing this. 
    Friday, January 19, 2018 5:12 PM
  • So we decided there was less issues in re-enabling RemoteFX and it does seem to be the case , Since turning it back on(so far)we now back to the build 1709 and the windows dissapearing issue(far fewer issues than when RemoteFx was Disabled).

We seem to be spinning wheels with MS on this, has anyone actually had official acknowledgement of this problem. It been weeks now and I dont seem to be able to get anyone to commit at Microsoft to this being a known problem that  will be addressed.

Did the copying of the files from an old Win10 version work for any RemoteApps users.. might be worth a try i think

Monday, January 22, 2018 9:58 AM
  • Hello!

We also have 2 customers with remote apps with this problem. (Server 2012 R2 and Server 2016)

As workaround we use the mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll from Windows 10 1703.

We do not have any long term experience with this workaround.

best regards

Christian

• Proposed as answer by Snorlax Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:24 PM
    Monday, January 22, 2018 12:29 PM
  • The same issue with RemoteApps. We use the old Windows 2008 R2 RDP server and not going to upgrade that.

No problem on Windows 7 client or Windows 10 build 1703.

But Windows 10 build 1709 has this issue.

Gents, what's going on ?

30% of users can't work at all.

mcse^4

Same situation here, we have three 2008 R2 and three 2012 R2 RDP servers. And only W10 build 1709 has issues, there is no matter is the server 2008 or 2012.

-TL

Monday, January 22, 2018 8:47 PM
  • Hi,

My apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I would suggest open a case with Microsoft where more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

If the issue would be proved as system flaw, the consulting fee should be refund.

Best Regards,

Amy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact 

I'm private cloud customer in mid-size dc-provicder with SPLA-licenses in server-side, and we provide Dynamics NAV as a service for our retailers (for end users), they have their own Windows 10 licenses. Where should I contact?

-TL

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 9:00 PM
  • Hi,

As a potential temporary workaround, please Disable Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp group policy setting on the RD Session Host server(s) and test to see if the issues goes away.  The setting is located under Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Remote Desktop Session Host Environment\

Thanks.

-TP

Hi, sorry , but I don't think this should be marked as the answer as doing so causes more problems than its worth. We have reverted back to having it ENABLED and given the users the MSTSC files from a 1703 build, so far this seems to have resolved.
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks.

-TP

I agree, this is not a solution. This brings more problems then it fixes.

The solution is easy: FIX it. This thread is from november 2017... why isn't this fixed yet?

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:04 AM
  • I agree, this is not a solution. This brings more problems then it fixes.

The solution is easy: FIX it. This thread is from november 2017... why isn't this fixed yet?

I've removed "answered mark"

we need workaround mark :-)

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:21 AM
  • when I replace mstsc.exe & mstscax.dll with 1703 version remote desktop / app goes into infinite loop crash.

other file or step is required?

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:14 PM
  • MICROSOFT!! We keep trying to deploy Server 2016, and garbage like this keeps happening. We have new RDS servers deployed in our environment for many of our customers, and they're sitting idle because YOU PEOPLE DON'T TEST YOUR CRAP. PLEASE fix this! It's incredibly frustrating. We also have an issue now where windows (from OLD RDS 2018 R2 servers) come up blank or garbled if the left most monitor is not the primary. Essentially, our customers are frustrated with us because of your problems. THIS HAS BEEN ONGOING FOR MONTHS WITH NO FIX, COMPLETELY INEXCUSABLE!

Monday, February 12, 2018 2:49 PM
  • I'have exactly the same problem with my 2016 freshly installed server. My rdp client is on another 2016 server, full update too.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:09 AM
  • Has anyone tried if the Cumulative update today (2/13) resolved this issue?
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:11 PM

Not resolved. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074590/windows-10-update-kb4074590 it's also not mentioned and: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074588

• Edited by ShaneV789 Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:37 AM

Not resolved. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074590/windows-10-update-kb4074590 it's also not mentioned and: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074588

Yep, same version numbers as 1709 release. 

If you have the files from 1703, you can use the following bat script from an administrative cmd to replace them . 

cd c:\
    takeown /f "C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe"
    takeown /f "C:\Windows\System32\mstscax.dll"

ren C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe mstsc.exe.bak
    ren C:\Windows\System32\mstscax.dll mstscax.dll.bak

copy "C:\MSTSC\1703\mstsc.exe" "C:\Windows\System32\"
    copy "C:\MSTSC\1703\mstscax.dll" "C:\Windows\System32\"

icacls "C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe" /setowner "NT Service\TrustedInstaller"
    icacls "C:\Windows\System32\mstscax.dll" /setowner "NT Service\TrustedInstaller"

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:53 AM
  • Has anyone had a conversation with Microsoft support to see if they are even working on this? Essentially, RemoteApp, which is supposed to be their cloud delivery platform for desktop apps, has been fundamentally broken since November and they don't seem to care. MICROSOFT! This is ridiculous! We deliver apps to our customers via RemoteApp and SPLA licensing, and we have continually been thwarted in our efforts to release Server 2016 due to CONSTANT RDP bugs, some of which are now impacting our customers on Server 2008 R2 with multiple monitors from Windows 10. I can't begin to describe how frustrating it is that they don't seem to care.

TEST YOUR CRAP!!

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 2:38 PM
  • Microsoft: This isn't even hard to test or reproduce. You just launch Outlook, one of your most used applications, from Windows 10 as a RemoteApp from server 2016 and use it for more than 5 seconds. This bug is so glaringly obvious, and impacts usability in such a huge way, that there's no way it should have ever made it past QA (if you still have such a thing). This is embarrassing for your company.
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 2:42 PM
  • Yes, we logged this with MS back in early January.

FINALLY been told they will actually look into it last night.

"We have engaged our internal team who are in the process of getting the issue reproduced in the lab.

Once we will complete it we will get in touch with you to work on this.

I will keep you posted as to where we have reached so far.

"

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem. Write please if MS will resolve it.

Saturday, February 17, 2018 2:11 PM
  • We have also logged a ticket with MS in January. However we are just a small customer so probably no priority for them.

Let's keep us updated here.

Sunday, February 18, 2018 9:32 AM