none
Migrating Network File Shares to OneDrive

Question

• Hello,

I am working on migrating user folders from a network file share to OneDrive using ShareGate. Each user has a dedicated homedrive which gets migrated to OneDrive for that user.

Migration process happens in two stages, first a set of user file shares are migrated fully over a period of time (time taken to migrate the files) and then once the process is complete (usually a day or two), delta migration is done for the changes which may have been happened on the file shares when migration was in progress.

Between the first migration and delta migration the network shares are open to users so they can add files, delete files and move files from one folder to another. After the delta migration they are made read-only. Now, the tool works well for changes in terms of new files added but does not tracks files which have been deleted or moved since the previous migration. So, after the process is complete and OneDrive is made available to user, it has files which the user deleted from file share and also duplicate copies of the same file resulting from moving the file from one folder to another.

Has anyone encountered this scenario while using SharGate and able to resolve it? I am open to other ideas as well, like using another tool or any custom  build script.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Amit

Friday, March 18, 2016 6:26 PM

Answers

• I have done similar migration for one of our major client. We also encountered the same duplicate and deleted items issues. We thought of PS scripts to compare N/W folder to OneDrive to find non-matching items, but its a time consuming process and not accurate with results in some cases.

After lot of considerations and planning, we decided not to do any delta migrations, instead we did migrations in batches rather than one big bang migration. We split the enterprise migration based on departments and communication are sent to all users in the department over the cutover. N/W folder access were altered and we used ShareGate PowerShell Cmdlets to automate the migrations. We maintained all the user and their N/W locations in a spreadsheet along with their department details. PS script once completed the migration will update the spreadsheet also.

---
    Rajesh | Blog

Saturday, April 9, 2016 5:53 PM

All replies

• Have you talked to ShareGate?

Personally i'd see if your users could handle having the sites make read only temporarily so that they can be transferred without the difficulty of deltas. Do a test migration to see how many sites / content can be moved during a business day and then notify users that they will be in the batch being uploaded during day X and during that time the legacy file share will be available in read only format.

Enabling deltas is always difficult and you should try to confirm that it really is needed.

Friday, March 18, 2016 6:46 PM
  • I have done similar migration for one of our major client. We also encountered the same duplicate and deleted items issues. We thought of PS scripts to compare N/W folder to OneDrive to find non-matching items, but its a time consuming process and not accurate with results in some cases.

After lot of considerations and planning, we decided not to do any delta migrations, instead we did migrations in batches rather than one big bang migration. We split the enterprise migration based on departments and communication are sent to all users in the department over the cutover. N/W folder access were altered and we used ShareGate PowerShell Cmdlets to automate the migrations. We maintained all the user and their N/W locations in a spreadsheet along with their department details. PS script once completed the migration will update the spreadsheet also.

---
    Rajesh | Blog

Saturday, April 9, 2016 5:53 PM
  • Hello I'm doing the exact same piece of work. But I'm having trouble with forcing users to sign up the OneDrive automatically. If they have an existing OneDrive account that can cause issues. Also we are doing folder redirection as part of this work. The desktop and my docs will point to the local cache of OneDrive documents but we have found this will take effect only if the user has signed up and after 3 reboots to release the existing folder redirection. Throw all those moving parts together and we have allot of users in limbo land. Is there any recommendations on how to do this?

Monday, December 4, 2017 5:08 AM
  • Are there any articles on how access permissions (Security Groups, Security Management)  are handled for OneDrive versus a network shared drive? Also, Security Permissions/Administration for Teams?
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 7:21 PM