none
How to authenticate a user in Windows PE environment (Win10 based WinPE)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am building an app as part of solution where system boots into Windows PE based environment (Windows 10 based Win PE) which is residing in a hidden partition on the PC. I am wondering if there is a way to enumerate all the local users and their roles of main OS (i.e. The windows os in C:\ drive) from my app.

Is it possible to authenticate a user given the password?

Lets say main Windows has two users: John Doe and Jimmy Carter. Each has their own password. When system boots into Windows PE, I am looking for a way to check password if user enters user name and a password on a login screen.

I know it is possible. When I boot into stock Windows Recovery environment, it prompts me to enter password for one of the admin users. It is somehow able to find users and authenticate those users when password is provided.

Wondering what the magic api is?

Thanks

Joe

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 10:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Joe,

As I know, it's impossible due to the limitation of WinPE, and it's just a minimal Win32 operating system with limited services which not support the User account authentication.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 25, 2015 1:53 AM
    Owner