Change default location for "File History" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

This isn't really a problem but more of an annoyance i'd like to address.

I have Windows File History set up but I don't backup the default locations as my important data is stored on the "D" drive. I have all this configured to backup my D: and it's working fine...

The issue is when you click the link "Restore personal files". By default it takes you to "Home", but I haven't backed anything up from here so it just loads a blank screen. If I type in the top bar location "D:" it loads my files and I can browse through my backed up files fine.

So basically I want to automatically change the "Restore personal files" link to load the "D:" by default instead of having to load in manually each time.

Is there a registry hack or something that might do this?

Thanks everyone.

Regards David

Saturday, June 29, 2019 12:49 AM

All replies

• During configuring File History haven't you added personal folder? If you could have then it would fetch that automatically.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Saturday, June 29, 2019 2:50 AM
  • Yes I created the D:\ as the folder to backup and deleted all other folders as I only want this backed up.

I did this through "PC Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options (Under File History)".

It backups up but doesn't list it automatically as said.

Regards David

Saturday, June 29, 2019 3:08 AM
  • Hi,

The operation you described will restore to its origiral location. 

Try option 3:Restore files using File Explorer in the following article.

https://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/2-ways-restore-backups-in-windows-10.html

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 1, 2019 8:36 AM
  • Hello,

My apologies, I must not have explained myself clearly. My issues is not with the ability to restore files, but an 'annoyance' with one of the links because I didn't backup the default folders and only backed up custom folders.

Clicking the link below to restore personal files:

Takes you to here (Home) where there are no files because as said, I didn't backup the default files, just custom ones:

So I have to manually type in the bar at the top "D:" for it to take me to my backed up files:

I would simply like the link to take me to my D: by default. I appreciate this isn't a major issue and it's just an annoyance but was hoping there might be a registry hack that could do this?

Thanks again.

Regards David

Monday, July 1, 2019 12:16 PM